Oodnadatta Track in February !

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:00
ThreadID: 7252 Views:3918 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm a POM planning my 5th month long trip to Oz. February is the only month I can come at the moment. Is it at all realistic to do the Flinders and the Oodnadatta track in February in a hired air conditioned 4WD Camper, regarding the heat and road conditions? I'll be on my own.

Any suggestions as to reputable 4WD camper hire companies in and around Adelaide? I usually steer clear of the top of the range companies like Maui, Britz, NQ etc.

I just can't keep away from your wonderful country, Oz is in my blood !

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: StephenF - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:10

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:10
It's not much fun in 35-40 degree heat. Go to link textand look at Hawker, Arkaroola, Marree and Oodnadatta. Most people stay away from that area in the middle of summer for obvious reasons.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 31195

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:38

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:38
Chris,
its great you're coming but it is going to be very hot (mid 40's). What was it about mad dogs and Englishmen? You'll need a reliable vehicle with air cond and plenty of time. Also comprehensive remote area survival gear (comms, water etc)Bob
AnswerID: 31233

Reply By: Solo - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:39

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:39
Hi Chris, Recently returned from spending three months in OZ, doing a solo up
the Cape, Gulf etc., Made a Posting on hear back in July. I hired from company near Sydney, can strongly reccomend; www.travelhire.com.au fully equiped Land Rover 130 Crew Cab, roof top tent 60l Engle Fridge/Freezer etc, etc, well set up, can reccomend Graeme Hamilton Travel Hire Australia. also for good warm up and get rid of Jet lag do the Bridge Climb; www.bridgeclimb.com thats what I did, first day, then hit road following day, get into it. As it happens also a POM.
AnswerID: 31234

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 16:28

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 16:28
It can be done but it's bloody hot so take plenty of water. seeing you have been here before you know what to expect just stay on the main tracks you should be ok. try to hire a uhf radio to take just in case.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 31237

Reply By: Chris - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:34

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:34
Thanks for all these responses. I get the message about the heat, and that there will be very few vehicles on the track at this time of year. I'll probably check out Wilpena and if I can't handle the heat, I'll head back to the coast and the Murray.

Looking forward to being back in the Lucky Country

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 31254

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:06

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:06
Hi Chris,
I live 200km south of Wilpena and the mercury hit 48.6C on my back verandah in the shade in February 2001. This year it only reached 42C. It gets really hot here and it not really advisable to be inland at that time of year. Maybe if you did a rushed trip to Wilpena and then explored the Eyre Peninsula coastline where you will find quite a few good bush camping spots on the sea. You could also visit Coffin Bay National Park where there is beach access by 4x4. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 31260

Follow Up By: TonyT - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:00

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:00
Very wise words above- have done it myself in summer but it's not really a pleasant holiday experience- if youre not used to seriously hot weather (plus the 'have I got enough water etc/what if this or that happens/breaks etc- and this is meant to be a holiday!...then there are countless places to check out- main thing is you'll be guarranteed sunshine pretty much wherever you travel- cheers and have a good trip.
FollowupID: 22261

Reply By: greendog - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:08

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:08
hi chris you wo,nt be on your own mate because at that time of the year you,ll have 3 MILLION FLIES as company , have a great time any way cheers peter
AnswerID: 31624

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 18:41

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 18:41
We drove to Arkaroola, Innamincka and then onto Birdsville in December 2000 and it was HOT. It was too hot during the day not to be in the car driving with the ac on!! But regardless of the heat the country is fantastic, especially around Arkaroola. They have a nice cool swimming pool there and cold beer on tap so you can survive! The up side is that there are very few people on the tracks and you are made very welcome when you stop at the various towns. At Birdsville the caravan caretaker wasn't even interested in collecting our camping fee!! The Staff at the Pub were the friendliest I have ever met anywhere. We were fussed over as tourists are rare that time of the year. At innamincka the Pub told us the last tourists to pass through were 2 Swiss blokes 2 weeks ago!!
So if February is the only chance you have to go, then go for it, but make sure you have a reliable vehicle (Nissan Patrol- don't trust Toyota's) and plenty of water. Watch your tyres as we found our rig had 3 tyre fractures when we arrived at the Dig Tree!
The roads were very rocky and badly corrogated with deep ruts at the cattle grids.
FollowupID: 23720

Sponsored Links