inherited a campervan - now what :-~

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:01
ThreadID: 7274 Views:2203 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

I have inherited my father's treasured Hiace campervan that he kept in mint condition. I am really keen to use it and discover Australia as he did - for as long as I can afford to run it.

But I am a complete novice (I've never camped) and would appreciate learning from your experience.

My first questions are:

The car has been stored in Adelaide for a year - and has not been driven at all during that time.

Does anyone know who, in Adelaide, could show me about the batteries, tanks, how to set it up, driving tips etc before I drive it to NSW.

The other issue at the moment is that I live in Sydney with no off-street parking and am looking for somewhere undercover to keep it like my dad did - but need to keep costs to a minimum after having to pay a fair bit to get in on the road. I don't want to sell it yet if I can help it.

Looking forward to any tips
ZEDjay

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:14

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:14
Love to see some who is keen to see Aus. Go to any caravan sales joint or motor home place and they will give you advice also you can go to the motorhomes site and ask the same question. WWW.delphiforums.com
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 31339

Follow Up By: ZEDjay - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:35

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:35
Thanks Roger,
I'll follow up your leads
I'm glad there's someone out there that can help.
Cheers for now
ZEDjay
FollowupID: 22288

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:58

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:58
que?
AnswerID: 31343

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:26

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:26
Hi ZED:

You may also have some luck checking out some of those storage places for your van, and possibly the car. I have no idea on prices, but am aware of people who store many large and interesting things in them. Friend of mine had all his household effects in one when he was moving/building and there seemed to be plenty of room. Brambles is one organisation that comes to mind that offer "storage solutions".

Good luck, and enjoy your travels.

JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 31344

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:28

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 18:28
ZJ- the old Hiachee pop-top- was our first 'camping vehicle' We went to Cairns and all around (gravel and the blacktop)- motor blew up o/side Sydney so it got a Repco exchange- we stayed in Q for a year on hol's with a new daughter- camped at Ellis Beach caravan park (strip of concrete and a few concrete slabs for the permanents in those days) best year time we have ever had- get a manual for the vehicle, teach yourself to grease and change oils and hang onto it for as long as u can- chuck a car cover over it if you cant find a garage- no, it's not a 4wd but that can come later- have fun.TonyT
AnswerID: 31345

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:33

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:33
Your best bet is to rent a garage from some little old lady that doesnt drive anymore, otherwise costs of them Rent-a-space places is a killer.

Other than that on the street, and wash it regularly.
AnswerID: 31378

Follow Up By: ZEDjay - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:09

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:09
Thanks a lot for your suggestions Truckster, Jack and Tony T.
Tony - you've lessened my apprehension - sounds like fun.
ZEDjay

FollowupID: 22335

Sponsored Links