innamincka trip

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:55
ThreadID: 7332 Views:1547 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Next May I,ll be driving from Sydney up to Camerons Corner in a Ford Laser. Last Easter I got half way from Tibooburra to Camerons Corner and had to turn back because of flooding. Assuming I get through next time, will the Laser handle the road to Innamincka? Is the road condition about the same or worse than Tibooburra to Camerons Corner? Any info greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen (Broken Hill) - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 14:17

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 14:17
I'll be driving both those routes in 3 wks time. I'll let you know when I get back to Broken Hill. Remind me then if you haven't found out beforehand.

Cheers
Stephen J.Simpson in September.......
AnswerID: 31612

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 17:06

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 17:06
howard, the roads about the same just hope the grader has been through before you. In the laser you will have to take it easy as the gravel will nock the shi* out of the under body also drop tyre pressures to 24 , 26 psi to take thump out of corrigations. check track condition before you leave.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 31615

Reply By: Geebung - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:56

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:56
Mobs of small cars have been up there....have even seen a Morris Minor rally up there....you could probably drive on to Birdsville BUT.....and the but is a BIG but....you have no latitude in the Laser....the very first predictable outback changeable conditions can end your trip (as found). Take a car that has some latitude for the changeable conditions. Get your fuel dollars worth. From your description, you may have struck the trad wet spot out of Fort Grey. Our convoy of 4wd's got through a couple of years back and had a great fortnight after in very dry country. That extra latitude we had saved the trip.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 31630

Reply By: Member - Ken - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 22:38

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 22:38
Howard

I was there in May 2002 and the road was just geat.

I was there in July 2003 and the road was just great. There was evidence of rain from the previous weeks, however the surface was dry and the water lay in pools on the side of the road.

I come from the goldfields of Western Australia (Southern Cross) where the only bitumen road was the Great Eastern Highway in the 1950/60's, and compared to the roads we and the farmers etc used to drive on all year round in the good old FJ, FE, FB etc etc holden sedans, the road from Tibooburra to Innaminka via Camerons Corner is of highway quality.

Just drive your laser to the conditions, and remember you are miles from the local fixit centre if you have a breakdown.

Its no worse than those poxing crap pieces of unsealed road between Broken Hill and Tibooburra. Just think of it as a continuous strip of that.

Now I will readily admit that I don't drive said holdens anymore, but a really tricked up Troopy for the deserts. It just makes it much more pleasant ride on that particular road, thats all.

AND don't let anyone suck you into taking the Bore Track from Camerons Corner to Innaminka in your Laser. They will tell you all sorts of wonderous things about it, however not in a Laser, as I wouldn't want to see you having to do the recovery bleep that I had to in the old 'holdens' when I was a kid and there was no alternative - also no winches, no air jacks, no snatch straps, no 4WD or diff locks, bugger all height clearance etc etc.

Good luck and have a great trip. By the way the weather is usually pretty good in that area in May.
AnswerID: 31637

Reply By: Ross - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:48

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:48
Provided you don't have low profile tyres and go easy on the gravel you should be OK.
AnswerID: 31656

Follow Up By: howard - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 17:45

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 17:45
Thanks to Stephen, BJ, Geebung, Ken and Ross for your tips and advice.Greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 22673

Sponsored Links