Planning a 4WD trip around Australia

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 00:07
ThreadID: 7420 Views:10544 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm an aussie expat about to return home and I've decided to embark on a 4WD trip around Australia for a few months to enjoy the "real" Australia. Despite the fact that I was raised in a rural setting with 4WD's in my family, I have never embarked on a trip like this before (ie, long distance remote outback driving). I've been reading all the information on this website on vehicles and preperation, but I must admit, the amount of information and planning required is quite overwhelming. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the following things:

1. What type of car should I buy (I'm thinking of a Landcruiser troopy , but which model and year is best?) Can the NRMA check it for roadworthiness? How many of these cars are in the market fully equipped, or does everybody have to fit them out themselves?

2. What emergency and recovery equipment should I have as a bare minimum (other than shovels and tow straps etc) eg, what sort of communication equipment will I need.

3. Where do I get all this stuff in Sydney?

Thank you for any advice you may have
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:02

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:02
I hope you have left yourself about 12 months to get this vehicle ready thats about how long it takes,

Yes a 75 series Troopcarrier is about the best for loooooong trips, you may find a late model one with a bit of gear on it in Sydney, The vehicle is the best to start with then the rest follows as your getting it prepared for thr departure date.
AnswerID: 31950

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:15

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:15
it isn't as daunting as you indicate. Just about any of the major brand 4WD vehicles will suit your needs straight off the showroom floor without modification. It is an easy matter to fit a front bar, a roof rack, and a second battery if you think you need them. The problem with buying one already fitted out is that is more likely to have been used off road (although not always), and therefore been subjected to more wear and tear. I'd go for something with a bit more comfort than a Troopy. You couldn't go too far wrong by looking at Landcruiser/Patrol/Pajero/Discovery/Jackeroo/Prado or Navara/Challenger/Hilux/Rodeo for that matter. I'd go for diesel every time. Check some of the used car sites for the current market situation:,, etc

As for comms you will need a UHF radio (it can be a hand-held which avoids installation issues), and either a satphone of HF radio. If you are going really remote an Epirb is an inexpensive tool of last resort.Bob
AnswerID: 31954

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:20

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:20
James, I meant to add that you don't really need recovery gear other than what you mentioned (long handled shovel, snatch strap, D-shackles). I'd take a compressor and puncture plugging kit, an extra spare wheel/tyre, spare engine belts/hoses, and epoxy putty.Bob
FollowupID: 22790

Reply By: Willie - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:24

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:24
Hi James,

Yes a Landcruiser Troopcarrier would suffice. Would go for a diesel as they are more fuel efficient.

Yes the NRMA can check it out for you....there might be a joining fee as well

Not many of these vehicle on the market fully equipped as previous owners normally strip aftermarket goodies off their vehicles before selling.You might pick up an ex Govt vehicle which is equipped, at an auction

It depends on where you are going to travel on what recovery equipment you buy. If you are going to stay on the tourist routes then the basic equipment such as shovel, hi lift jack, snatch strap might be needed. If however you are contenmplating remote offroad travel then a winch would be of advantage and good radio communications. Also carry an extra spare tyre and puncture repair kit.
When putting tyres on your vehicle go for a common multi purpose brand...the type of tyre that is available in the outback.

Can't help you with Sydney sales outlets but do a search on the internet using Google and type in what you are after and most of the aftermarket sales outlets will appear. Too easy.

You can go overboard with gear. Just remember that Highway One is sealed all the way around Oz and most of the country roads are gravel and in good condition.




Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 31955

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:30
James go to & look in their market section & you will see just what you are looking for.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 31991

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 20:32

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 20:32
Not much info from me here. But youdont have to be a member of nrma to get the vehicle inspection but it does cost around $100 they are very thorough though and would reccomend them to anyone and they give you a written report back.
Hope this helps.
Ps what country are you in now.
AnswerID: 32027

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 00:03

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 00:03
James a few points to ponder in your early planning that have to be considered to get the best end result.
How many of you are going to be on the trip ?
How remote and I mean remote, not just dirt roads, do you want to go ?
How do you want to set up your accomodation - in vehicle, on vehicle, tent on ground, camper trailer, caravan, motel/B&B etc ?
What time of year on the road, hot in the north, cold down south. ?
Where, everywhere ? Forest driving, coastal/beach driving, desert driving, mountains etc ?
One thing is for sure, you can't see it all in one year. If you see somewhere you like it's nice to hang around for a while.
Check a few of the car clubs, they are always having outings and you can get to see how they all set up vehicles, everyone is different. I could send you to dozens of places in Syd where they are all happy to sell you what ever you think you might need. Aust 4WD Monthly magazine is full of good info, but it's endless.
You can hire vehicles already set up also, there is quite a range.
Good luck.

AnswerID: 32152

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)