Flinders long weekend

Submitted: Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:44
ThreadID: 7443 Views:1950 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
There seems to be a lot happening next weekend October 3,4,5 up in the Flinders Ranges and no doubt the place will be crawling with 4bys. Blinman is having a Camp Oven Cookoff and there are some other events taking place in the vicinity.

I am going out on Thursday to Warraweena Sanctuary to try out some of their other tracks and also have permission to drive down through a normally closed area between two PAR's. Me mate is taking his recently rebuilt Landy V8 ute for a try out. So give us a wave if you see the orange G60 out there and we can have a yarn.

Tried to get access to Moro Gorge but unfortunately the owners are conducting a feral animal shoot and the place is closed. There are some good tracks in the Gammon Ranges as well and will see how our trip pans out.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:56

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:56
feral pest cull?? where where!!!Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 32060

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:14

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:14
Richard,
Contact me through my website www.kempen.id.au and I will give you the blokes name and phone number.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22881

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:30

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:30
At Portlandf in Vic yesterday down near the docks where they were loading live sheep onto the El Kuwait?Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 22884

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:29

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:29
Willie,

i will keep my eye out for the G60. I will be up at Blinman for that weekend for work and play. Then going up to Arkaroola and basck home via Yunta.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 32083

Follow Up By: Macco - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:15

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:15
David,
I have spent a bit of time in recent weeks around the flinders area but was contemplating the Arkaroola drive for the long weekend. Is it the type of trip that is worth doing in a long weekend or should i be planning to have more time?

Cheers

Chris
FollowupID: 22965

Reply By: John - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:09

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:09
Sounds like you're relatively a local. Going to Gammon and Flinders next year on our 1 month trip. Seems to be a lot of private properties in the Flinders with nice scenic drives to be done. I was thinking of 3 nights at Arkaroola and then 3 nights somewhere in the Flinders. We'll be towing trailers and possible a van or two, but dirt roads are fine (coming down the Strzelecki). Any good camping suggestions with those drives to the high vantage points you see in the glossy books. Looking for a good appetiser to get us back.
AnswerID: 32092

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 20:32

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 20:32
Hi John.
I am planning a trip to same area next year starting Tweed heads.Have not decided which way to go yet. Where are u starting from?
You can contact me on: vince@sterlingmicros.com.au
Regards Vince
FollowupID: 22928

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:04

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:04
Hi John,
Yes I live just south of the northern Flinders Ranges at Peterborough.
There are now many private properties with access tracks and also camping facilities. Track costs are from $15 per vehicle to $40 per vehicle. Some properties include camping in that fee. There are some good tracks around Arkaroola and interesting places to see. Both Arkaroola and Wilpena are classed as resorts and have the usual facilities at a price. There are plenty of bush camping places outside the National Parks.There are also PAR's (Public Access Roads) that stations have opened up. Dirt roads in South Oz are generally quite good and the Strzelecki is an easy run. There are good camp sites at Warraweena Sanctuary with drop toilets, firewood and a hot shower at the homestead all inclusive for $10pp per night. Some very good tracks to explore on the property. The whole Flinders experience is quite scenic. We Aussies hanker after mountains and they are few and far between. The Flinders Ranges are a good example. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22973

Sponsored Links