-------------

You have now reached the end of the track Slim.....RIP

My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 32081

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:50

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:50
Yes, very sad, Slim did a lot for keeping Australian heritage alive and country music will never be the same. Slim's music rang in my ear as a child when my Dad did early shift and tuned into the radio in the wee hours of the morn, that was years before rock got tangled up with country. Will be missed by our family and friends. Jen
AnswerID: 32085

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:07

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:07
I had the privilege of being friends with another Aussie music industry icon, Laurie Allen (of Bobby and Laurie). He'd regularly tell the story of walking into a backstage dressing room and witnessing Slim kicking his own hat across the floor and cursing at it, virtually in tears. When he placated him and asked the reason fro hiss stress Slim explained that he really hated that damn hat (along with any other marketing paraphernalia) and all he wanted to do was write and sing music.

I've never been a fan of his music but there's no denying the impact that he has had on the Australian psyche. May he rest in peace."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 32090

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:28

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:28
I've never been a fan of his music but there's no denying the impact that he has had on the Australian psyche. May he rest in peace
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree with this bit above totally... I would rather eat broken glass than listen to country moosik, but sorta have a hollow feelin.. Sort of a jealousy having read a bit about him in last few days from his early days hitchin around the place, doing things like they did back then...

Suppose it was the time and place, people dont really do that anymore, not the way they did in the early days the 40's etc. Shame really..
FollowupID: 22894

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:57

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:57
Truckster...

lots of people did that during the 20s, 30s & 40s ordinary people doing what they could to make ends meet. What's sad is that for many, their stories are lost because no one either bothered to listen or they were too humble to tell their tales. That's what makes people like Slim so special and important, they're able to tell those tales...my mum told me that Slim was a favorite of her dad's as well as other C & W singers and when you grow up living in a house that's made of shipping cartons and dirt floors in bushland [as it was then] listening to some of Slim's songs today brings back colourful memories of her childhood.

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22896

Follow Up By: macca - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 15:31

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 15:31
Im a fan of country music and not to make light of the loss of Slim, I just thought I would pass on this little gem I heard sometime back. It is a known fact that when you play some of this rock garbage backwards it has satanic messages. Well, when you play country music backwards, all get back together again and they all live happily ever after - no tears, no hurtin' just good ol' laughter
FollowupID: 22899

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:18

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:18
nope, when you play that sad old pharts crap country noise backwards, you get your car/truck back, and your comes wife back, and yor horse comes back to life.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
FollowupID: 22905

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:54

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:54
yeah, you've been listening to that crap yank stuff but the outback music from Kernaghan is good stuff. "The boys from the bush" you don't like that?My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 22908

Follow Up By: macca - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:04

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:04
Your spot on Truckster I knew I had the punch line wrong. Nothing wrong with country music except when they try to make it POP music
FollowupID: 22955

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:22

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:22
Ray you should know me better than to listen to rap shiat..

Butbleepry is just that...

Boys from the bush? Shiat, think it ws on that TV show that tosser did cant think of his name, was a short little snot from NT that had a series few yrs back
FollowupID: 22980

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:26

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:26
Troy Dann?? thought he was it and a bit more...Al thought his sister looked good though....hahahah...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 22982

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:39

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:39
Troy Dann thats the twonk I was thinkin of.
Got done DUI and lost his hero status, and his hollywood movie flopped bigger than that wank from Qld the 'croc man'...
FollowupID: 23119

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:25

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:25
RIP Slim .............when the rain's tumble down in july.
AnswerID: 32096

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:15

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:15
Tony, Maybe someone could write a song about him called "When the tears tumbled down in September". I have written a couple of songs for self satisfaction, but there must be someone out there who could write one and put it to music, just for Slim. Jen
FollowupID: 22893

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:50

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:50
The dude that did up there gazaley is doing one, was in the paper the other day.
FollowupID: 22895

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 22:17

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 22:17
Brought tears to the eyes today watching Slim's funeral in Sydney. Every year we have our truckies memorial here in Tarcutta and when Slim was well enough he came down and sang his song, "Names upon the wall". The last 3 years he hasn't been able to make it because he has been so sick.One of the local fellas "said we might have to ring John Laws and invite him down instead now cause old Slim has pulled out". We all got a laugh out of that and I reckon Slim would have got a laugh from that too. He was a top bloke, and our truckie memorial here in Tarcutta in October will be an even bigger one this year. Like they all say, "sadly the only thing growing here in Tarcutta is the names on the wall".
Anyone who knows about "the wall" will know what I'm talking about.
He will be missed in this house, but really, good aussie blokes like that never die!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP Slim
Karen
Oh and by the way,,,,,,,I think John Laws did accept the invitation to come to the truckies memorial this year.Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 32150

Sponsored Links