Porta Potti

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 00:12
ThreadID: 7462 Views:8725 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My hubby and I have just come back from five days in the Gawler Ranges and it was fantastic except the ground is so hard (not just there either - we've struck it almost everywhere we've been now) we had enormous diffuculty digging a hole for the toilet situation. We've now decided that a porta potti is an option for us and our off-road camper has a storage area for one that allows access from either insde or outside. Can I get some feedback from Porta Potti users please about any problems you may ahve had and any recommendations about brand/size. We've put off getting one in the past because I have reservations about the effect of the chemicals on the environment but I believe there are some 'home made' safe solutons for the storgae tank and for cleaning. There's only my hubby and myself so I don't think we need top-of-the-range but reliability and ease of emptying & cleaning is a high priority. Thanks for taking the time and I really recommend the Gawler Ranges - fantastic area to explore - some breathtaking scenery, wildlfie, birdlife, flowers abound.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 06:46

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 06:46
Robyn and Mr Robyn
We have camped in all sorts of remote areas for over 25 years and have dug holes in most of them up until we bought a PP.
If there is just the two of you, the PP can even stay in the tent with you because it is so civilized. No smell - no flies etc.
The Porta-Potti qualities for nomination as the best camping invention ever(IMHO). Even when the digging is easy.
It is one of our best acquistions for camping and we wouldn't be without it for a camping holiday. (We don't take it touring though - just when we set up for more than a few days)
Get one
We have a Porta-Potti "Elegance" (I think a 165)
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
AnswerID: 32156

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:08

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:08
You also need to check the hieght before you buy.

Some recess's are only 13 1/2" high, so the bigger porta units will not slide in.

Good unit, and using the right chemicals, will cause you no problems.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 32161

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:11

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:11
Robyn, we have a Dometic "Sani Potti" works the same way as a Porta Potti, we got it coz it's not as bulky, we decided that with little kids travelling if they need to use the toilet and we're miles from one we can just get this out for them...no dramas...

best thing is to go and have a look at them...we got ours at the Caravan and Camping Show [$110] on special there are quite a few on the market and I've also seen different brands in Big W...

cheers

LynLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 32162

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:20

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:20
I have one I bought second -hand in about 1995 from some German tourists... works great, tho we haven't used it a hell of a lot.
I also got this list from a friend to use instead of the chemicals you buy- a fraction of the cost and apparently just as good.. I haven't used it myself as I have not run out of the bought stuff yet.
"...here is a cheap to make toilet additive...or chemicals...1 cup of borax..dissolved , 1 cup of pinoclean , 1 cup of cloudy ammonia , mix alltogether in 5l of water.. works real well and should last for ages and a lot cheaper than the ones that you can buy in the shops... "
AnswerID: 32167

Follow Up By: Martin - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:13

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:13
How much of this solution goes into the holding tank each time, do you know?
FollowupID: 22994

Reply By: Member - Roger - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:00

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 18:00
We have used a porta poti for some years and yes they are great. There are chemicals on the market that are eco friendly. With these you can mt the p.p. in a septic system without a worry. Tey are Safe aqua chem green and aqua chem rinse, available at most camping suppliers.Dodg
AnswerID: 32189

Reply By: Martin - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:21

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:21
Robyn, My wife loves our Porta Potti and always uses it when we go "off road". I only use it if there is absolutely no alternative - you see I have to empty it and the less often I have to do that the better I like it!! Emptying is not a pleasant task. We use the Aqua Chem green solution which is supposed to be environmentally friendly but not as effective odour wise as the original blue solution. Somebody else said it can be emptied into septics which suggests that it doesn't have the same antibacterial/disinfectant/deodorant powers as the old blue one. You'll love it if HE empties it for you!!
AnswerID: 32204

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:29

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:29
Robyn,

Know what you mean about hard ground. Some places we camped in the Top End we were flat out scraping 0.5cm of soil off the bedrock ground. I must admit to having been a bit reluctant to get a porta potti but my hubby insisted and now I'm an enthusiastic convert. My only stipulations were 1) I wasn't having it in the car and 2) he empties it.

As others have said, make sure you measure your storage area and get one fits because they come in a wide variety of sizes (height that is). We went the Coleman which is about the lowest of them all at about 12" high. Remember though, smaller loo means less storage so don't get any smaller than you have to. You can buy eco friendly chemicals...get the green type not the blue. We've found absolutely no smell or leaks (even when carted over the roughest of tracks). Emptying is a cynch (for hubby anyway, LOL!) and cleaning is simple.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 32256

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:58

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:58
We have a porta porti in our trailer.

Like your option we can access it for in and out. It is a great luxury, but don't believe anyone who tells you that they are totaly leak proof

We took ours up to the cape. After spending 4 days in lakefield Np, using the potti. We spent 4 days travelling to the top via OTL. As we ha access to facilities for most of our stops on the way up, we didnt think to check on the potti. When we go to Punsand bay, the hatch was opened and what a mess. I think the contents of the storage tank are like oil. A little bit goes along way. That little bit of leakage was very unpleasant. Next rough trip, I'll make sure the toilet is well and truely secured in that little locker. Maybe the bouncing around on the corrugations caused the pressurisation seal to leak.

That in mind. I still wouldn't go remote camping without it. With a young child, its a must.

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 32278

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:35

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:35
Thanks H, K & A
We too have an Ultimate (Ursula) and we're of to Bateman's Bay for Ursula's annual service this week so I'll ask Michael and Wendy about ideas for securing the potti in unhandsome conditions. Ursula is fantastic and I'm sure you too have had terrific fun with your camper. Can thoougly recommend the Gawler Ranges (one of SA's secrets I suspect) as a trek. Happy to send you more info if you'd like. Would be great to see you on our travels sometime! We're off to Tassie over Xmas (4 weeks) so the potti will get a workout in the west coast wilderness over there!

Cheers
Robyn & David (& Ursula and Percy)

FollowupID: 23060

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:08

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:08
Hi Robyn,

sounds good.

We are off to Tassie on the 7th December till new year. Maybe catch up over there.

contact us at heidi.kelvin.yeats@bigpond.com

cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 32281

Sponsored Links