A tale of mud and more mud

Submitted: Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 20:35
ThreadID: 74802 Views:3990 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

So with the New Year approaching a fella goes for a drive out of Darwin....in the Wet Season.......and........gets his 4by bogged.

So he rings a mate on his satphone and asks for assistance. This mate asks his mate to please come along in his own vehicle for back-up...just in case.

Well...it wasn't long before the two 'rescue' vehicles are bogged too. My mate the last 'mate' in the story, burns his winch out trying to extricate himself first.

So they ring another mate on the satphone. He arrives two hours later and says ......."Yer nuts" and "I'm not going in there!!!' He loads up the human cargo and on the way out they drive through kilometres of waster as the wet has set in!!!.....and they get home just in time to sing Happy New Year.

Now two of these fellas are ExplorOz Members........and reasonably experienced bush travellers....oh dear!....what were they thinking?....LOL

If anyone one in the vicinity of Darwin has any Maxtrax or stuff alike to 'lend' to these unfortunates please leave your phone number here and I will pass it on or they can contact you direct.....otherwise the 4bies may be there for weeks....they are goping to have a second go tomorrow. Maybe they will need a crane of sorts....ROTFLMAO

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 20:54

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 20:54

If there are no pics, it didn't happen.....hopefully some appear LOL.

Andrew
AnswerID: 397253

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:07

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:07
I think these long time Territorians would be too ashamed to take pics of their misdeeds.

I have a pic of one of the fellas being winched out of the mire at Israelite Bay few years ago ....after being warned..."don't go there"....LOL Some will never listen.......
FollowupID: 666080

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 20:55

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 20:55
Willem

One of these blokes didn't happen to call in to my place for coffee yesterday by any chance....????

Story reminds me of 2 silly truckies that were going to the Osbourne Mine in Nth West Qld back in the mid 90s , had pre-fab steel on semi trailers, went north from Boulia up the Chatsworth track , one is an ant watcher too and after seeing large lines of ants the 2 weeks before he should have known better but went that way anyhow , the other bloke....non ant watcher got bogged about 40 meters off the track trying to get around a big heap of water instead of driving through it, anyhow the Ant watcher decided to try and tow the other truck out, and got bogged too , so the grader was sent 25 Klms down the track from Chatsworth , yes he got it bogged too, so the 2 truckies slept there all night and woke to find the mail truck was also bogged about 50 meters further on, Funny you know ... I have a photo of the wet track the silly buggers travelled on.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397254

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:09

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:09
Nah, I don't think they know you...then again...........

FollowupID: 666081

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 22:29

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 22:29
Sorry no photos yet, my camara is in the vehicle and hopefully we will get it out tomorrow, but with the amount of rain we got this afo and tonight, I'm not sure. And yes we were trying to get a mate out of the bog but then the tally so far is 8 vehicles bogged 6 of them being Emargency Services Vehicles and they are all out. Just us now. If I'm sounding a bit tired I am not much sleep. Will let you know how we went tomorrow night. Hopefully good
AnswerID: 397263

Reply By: bgreeni - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 23:32

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 23:32
Reminds me of back in the 60"s in Darwin. I was working on a subdivision construction at Rapid Ck.

Contractor got a crane bogged -
Sent in a rader to rescue the crane- Grader got bogged.
Sent in a dozer to rescue the grader - Dozer got bogged.

At that point the decision was made to leave them all there until after the wet. They sat there for 3 months!!
AnswerID: 397270

Reply By: Top End Explorer - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 00:17

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 00:17
Did you mean something like this???

Bogged big time

The OKA has a 12 pound winch, but you know where I am.LOL

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 397272

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:22

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:22
bit under-rated isn't it? LOL

Andrew
FollowupID: 666119

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:45

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:45
Willem, please tell me there is an "F Truck" involved in all this. Our good mate Bob aka Zukscooter is farm sitting up that way at the moment and it sounds something like what he would get himself into. If so, I definately need photos hehehehe. Soon I will need an extra hard drive for all the F Truck's misfortune tales and photos.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 397295

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 22:00

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 22:00
I recond there is going to be one hell of a bonnet party in the bush once your all out.
Photos are going to be great.
Cheers
AnswerID: 397367

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:37

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:37
Well we finally got out last night thanks mainly to KP. He bought out Marsden Matting, terfers, 2 quad bikes an all the other gear you need to pull 3 vehicles out (one now had been there for 7 days). We couldn't get through new years day one of the creeks had come up to at least 2 meters so we had a rest day and checked out Google Earth and found another track in, just as well because another creek had come up and there was no way we were getting in. So all hands on deck for the recovery which took all day in the heat. Lots of water drunk by all and we had a win thanks again to all involved.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 397396

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 13:40

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 13:40
Looks like a lot of luck and hard work was put in there Rick. Glad you got the vehicles out in the end, would have been a sorry way to herald in the new year otherwise.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 666274

Follow Up By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:15

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:15
Yes, a lot of hard work and luck, it started raining as we were leaving last night. Turns out they got 90mls last night and they are expecting more rain tonight and now we have a cyclone watch. Hate to think had we not got the vehicles out.
FollowupID: 666290

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 10:50

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 10:50
Hi Rick, when we lived in Darwin, KP used to hold 'recovery days' where we used to go out in the wet season and get bogged to test out different recovery techniques. Also to try different driving techniques to not get bogged too. I remember the heat and sweat extremely well. Say hi to him from Mike & Lani now in Qld.
Also all that mud will ruin all seals in the wheel hubs and diffs, so you will have some work ahead of you -:)
FollowupID: 666420

Reply By: gonebush - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 14:51

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 14:51
All well that ends well, thank's to Google Earth and several other mapping sources, I was able to access the bogged vehicles from a much closer point meaning we only had to cross 1.4km of mud rather than the way in used originally which was 7 km of mud and, a couple of short sharp deep creeks... Thanks to long hi-lift jacks, marsdon matting and the trusty old tirfor hand winch we recovered all vehicles. We used my quad bikes to transport the recovery gear to and from the vehicles.
I was too busy to take photos, Rick you should post a couple more.
Thanks to all involved.

KP
AnswerID: 397585

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 19:18

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 19:18
How are ya, mate?

You would have thought that those old timers had learned something over the years...hahahahahahaha

Just as well you came along to the rescue :-)

Anyway thanks for rescuing me mate 'G'. He is a bit of a worry....lol

Happy New Year

Cheers
FollowupID: 666517

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:01

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:01
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Just a couple more photos from our dirty weekend. At least the cyclone watch has been cancelled now but it is still raining. Thanks again KP.
AnswerID: 397705

Sponsored Links