Great Central Road Permit

What permits would I need to travel the Great Central Road and into SA from Leonora to Ularu via Docker River then to Oodnadatta?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:33

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:33
Click on the Great Central Road link in your posting - this will take you to the Treck Note which has lots of information, including about permitstoo easy!!!

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397621

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:36

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:36
Hi jessejaneq, have a look at the trek note below and read under the heading of "Permits".

GCR Permits

Regards, John
AnswerID: 397622

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:29
Hi Jessejaneq

You will require 2 permits, one from the Department of Indigenous Affairs in Perth for the Western Australian side of the Border and one from the Central Lands Council in Alice Springs for the Northern Territory side of the Border.

Both permits are free and can be obtained over the Internet. The DIA approval will be straight away and the permit approval downloaded. They will give you a 3 day period to travel the WA side. The CLC permit will be back within a short time and only give you 1 days grace to travel the NT side. Below are the web sites that will take you directly to the permit section. Prior to going online, they need to know the exact dates that you intend to travel, as well as car rego, number and names of people travelling in your car, and your contact details.

The rest of your trip to Oodnadatta is permit free, unless staying at Dalhousie.

http://www.dia.wa.gov.au/Entry-Permits.aspx

http://www.clc.org.au/Permits/permits.html

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397651

Reply By: long haired nomad - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:08

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:08
I to would like to travel the road this year, but i hate having to commit to travel on a set date.What i if i say on the permit that ill be there on the 25th of the 4th but ive been held up at Broome and i wont be there for another week. What do i do them? Can i reaply for the permit online in Broome or Carnarvon? How do i get my permit if im on the road? Is it an email permit approval that i can print off at some internet cafe somewhere? any ideas?
Cheers
AnswerID: 397745

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:20
Hi
The down side with the permits is that they are date specific. The only thing would be to apply closer to the time when you will be travelling the area.. Yes the DIA Permit is approved immediately, not unless you intend to do something out of the ordinary, in which case it is then sent off and may take some time. When the permit is approved, it will come up as a viewable PDF file, giving you the option of printing it for a hard copy.

Like I mentioned above, the permits can be applied anywhere in the world, proving you have internet access and know the dates of travel.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666603

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:35

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 14:35
Hi Stephen

I stated on my recent application (October trip) my reason for travelling as, "Exploration of the area to the immediate north of Cosmo Newberry Reserve".

It's not even on Aboriginal land, yet I needed the permit as I needed the GCR as access.

To me silence is as good as a Yes....

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666604

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:17

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:17
Hi Alan
It does make me wonder who realy knows where permits are required?????

On our last years trip, we wanted to head out on the Sydney Yeo Track, but told by a few that it was now a closed road. I have always had a good relationship with Joan (you will know who I am talking about) and explained why we wanted to go out there, but she informed me that it was open. I then insisted that it was closed, she still insisted that it was open, but to make sure, pass my application on to Alice Springs. Another 3 weeks went past, still no reply, so I gave them a call in Alice, only to be told that they were unsure, so they had then sent it off to Warburton. Three more weeks later and still no permit, so I gave Joan another call. She then said it was all OK, but the down side it was not in writing. I then rang her back, explained the situation, but was told it was all noted and was OK to travel there. Not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you, I accepted what I was told. When we arrived at the said sign, there were a number in the group with cold feet, and not prepared to go just with verbal approval. One of the group had a Sat Phone, so I gave the number in Alice Springs a call, with the group listening on. Explaining the situation over the phone again. The very helpful lady said it was OK to travel, and I again requested that she make notes in case of any further problems.

As you would expect, we never saw another person for well over 1 week. My question now is, did I have to go through all my trouble, or should I have just taken Joans' first advise and that I did not need any permit, after all we never had anything in writing, only verbal from both Perth and Alice Springs.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666641

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:37
I probably would have taken the first advice, in hindsight!!!

I don't think anyone is really sure of the rules - too many variables, which makes it in the travelers favour I think. One day, another "William Gocher" will come along and show us the way!!!

A smart lawyer / publisher could pick up on the lack of information and make a business out of it I reckon.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666643

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 07:43

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 07:43
About a year ago I made applications by email giving the dates that I hoped to be using the road but asked for a 'window' of 7 days as I could not be specific as to exactly when I would be passing through. Permit came back with a specific date on it and no other comment ! I carried a copy of my email plus the permits and decided to plead ignorance if anyone asked to see the permit.

In July last year I requested permits again including the Gun Barrel. When I got the permits I noted in the fine print that I was to report to the Police at Yulara after completing my trip. When I went to the Police station at Yulara it was closed and would not be open for several hours so I just carried on with my journey.

I spoke to some tradesmen atWarburton who did not believe me when I said that people were supposed to have permits when travelling on that road - they also said that they had often worked in the area and communities over many years and had never heard of any one needing (or getting) a permit.

KK
FollowupID: 666693

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:11
Hi KK
Re the trades person at Warburton. What I can confirm is that companies that do work on Aboriginal Communities usually have a 12 month open permit to the Communities that they will be working in, listing the vehicles and the names of their staff. So when Joe Blogs working for ABC Building Company get told to go to Jamieson or any Aboriginal community to do work, all those at the community will know well in advance that men are coming to carry out work on their community. You will find that Joe Blogs may not be aware of the permit system, but his employers have all the correct paperwork on hand. If they are private contractors, then they are just straight out dumb and will get caught out one day, after all ignorance is no excuse, especially out there.

You will find that most communities rely very much on the Bush Telegraph, and you would be very surprised just who quick and efficient it works. 16 years ago when travelling solo through the APY Aboriginal Lands in the far North West of SA, I mentioned the fact of safety to one of our Aboriginal friends. He said don't worry, the other communities know that we are coming and how long it takes from one place to another. If we were not there at a certain time, they would usually give a two hour leeway, them come looking for us.

As for permits, I personally think that they should be scrapped. When speaking to couple of Police in Laverton this year, I mentioned the permit system and who polices it. The Police said that they are far too busy with other work to worry about checking permits and the only time that they had charged a person for having no permit, was when the tourist got into a fight at Warburton. I believed that they threw the book at him, for a range of offences, included No Transit Permit, Carrying Alcohol in a prohibited area, drinking in a dry Aboriginal Community etc, the guy was just asking for trouble.

This is just a very rare occasion, as most people drive through and keep to themselves and do the right thing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666707

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:47

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:47
Hi Stepen,

The guys I spoke to were staying overnight at Warburton and going out to Blackstone so probably as you say their company had permits.

KK
FollowupID: 666721

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 15:18
When the Great Central Road gets bituminised I can see the Permit system being consigned to the bin.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 397756

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 15:39

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 15:39
Hopefully that is a long way off still. I opposed this in 2004 in Thread 12977 and I still oppose it now!!!

Destroying the golden egg is not a good plan.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666610

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:22
Hi Gone Bush and Alan
I think that we are all very safe with the fact that it will never happen, well not in my life time. I know that there have been a number of reports that it will be bitumen one day, but read between the lines and they are keeping to their word by making it an all weather unsealed road.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666642

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:05
Probably very true Stephen, but my point is, and it's not meant to be a Thread hijack, when the wheels of commerce and industry start using that road more than the wheels of itinerant travellers like ourselves, the Permit system will be dismissed as the un-necessary irritant that it is.

And don't even get me started on the Indigenous claim over Perth City and the Swan River, where we non-indigenous may end up having to get permission to gain access to the river. I can just see the members of every yacht club up and down the river putting up with that.

The entire Permit, Native Title system is divisive and designed to stimulate an "us & them" mentality; and it's working.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666647

Follow Up By: long haired nomad - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 20:20
Yes, the permit system is a complete waste of time and because of it i wont be travelling this road and so depriving the roadhouse of my fuel and souvenir money.
Why cant they have an office in Wiluna or there abouts where travellers sign a book upon starting the trip and another office in Alice Springs or Yulara when you finish. But this would put an end to the bureaucracy that run the permit system.
FollowupID: 666649

Reply By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:58

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:58
When we travelled in that area last year our permits were as follows:

Uluru to WA Border - 03/08/09 to 08/08/09...so a six day time frame
Great Central Road - Gunbarrel to Wiluna - same time frame of six days.

We left Uluru on the 3rd, had a permit for Surveyor Generals Corner...did that then continued on to the Gunbarrel etc over the next four days.

When we returned on the Gary Junction Road (which I know is not part of the original question) we had a time frame of -twelve days for the journey to the border and then on to Alice Springs (2 permits required DIA and CLC)

All I did was request those dates and they were approved..so if we had been running a few days late we were covered. I suggest you ask for the maximum amount of time you think you would require and see what happens.

Viv
AnswerID: 397880

Sponsored Links