Lake Eyre Documentary - ABC last night

Who else caught the Lake Eyre Doc last night on ABC.

We (Me, wife and 2 boys 4 & 7) will be heading out that way in April. Cant wait. After watching the show last night the excitement is growing.

Not sure if the floods in NSW and QLD are in the right places to flow toward Lake Eyre. That would be fantastic.

We will be travelling to Camerons Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville, Marree, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, then off to Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon, McDonnell Ranges and Alice Springs.

What did others think of the show?

Any tips for our trip and places we must visit?

Geoff

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:24
Good to watch...felt like getting in The Landy and heading off.......

Enjoy your trip...
AnswerID: 397950

Reply By: StormyKnight - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:26

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:26
Yep those aerial pictures were beautiful of the rivers & lake in flood!

Cheers
AnswerID: 397951

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 18:51
Hi Geoff
It was fantastic, and I cannot wait to watch it again. I personally know Rex Ellis and I thought they would have had footage on them going down the Warburton in his boat.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397955

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:07
G'day Stephen, I want to get to send some copies overseas. Loved the production and the scenery.

Cheers
FollowupID: 666801

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:14
Hi John,
Thanks for letting us know that it was on, it was one of the best programs that has been on TV for a very long time. I would dare say that the ABC will have them out for sale very soon. With the hot weather that we have had and going to get, I bet it has all dried up by now, if not very soon.

Take care.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666807

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:03
This site has been posted here before but it is a great spot to track the path of floods and the drying of the lake.

Lake Eyre
AnswerID: 397957

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:51
Hi Notso
This post has not been posted before. John from Victoria informed us here on the forum last week that the Documentary was going to be on the ABC last night. It was a great watch, but sounds like you missed it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666784

Follow Up By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:59

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:59
No mate, The Post I'm talking about is the link to the Lake Eyre Yacht Club web site, link above.

It is a good site for those who want to watch the filling of the lake etc fromn a distance.

If you haven't seen it click on the link and have a look.

Saw the programme and recorded it for a mate as well.

FollowupID: 666785

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:37
Just saved the sight as a favourite. Thanks

Geoff
FollowupID: 666793

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:56
Hi Notso
Sorry, I thought that you were referring to this post being posted before. I have seen the site you mention, and it is very informative. Thanks

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666797

Reply By: Member -Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:16

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:16
Great pics,stirred up the desire to get going,but unfortunatly other things are stopping me.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 397958

Reply By: Butch58 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 19:56
HI Geoff,
We did the same trip as you are doing last Easter as far as Oodnadatta and returned to Vic via Coober Peddy.

When we went to William Creek we travelled 60 ks out to Lake Eyre and saw the water slowly spreading out across the salt flats of the lake. The water was moving across the lake at about a metre a minute and only a couple of inches deep, we had to walked 300 metres from the lakes edge across the salt flats to see the approaching water as it bubbled it's way through the salt crust.

It was a real thrill as we were told this only happens about once ever decade and we were lucky to be in there at this rare occasion.

Hope you enjoy your trip as it was one of the best trips we have ever done, just wish we could have spent a bit more time up there, cheers Butch.

PS: Make sure you have stone protection if towing a van or camper as we did a lot of damage under van and broke a rear window on dual cab.

AnswerID: 397966

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:27
Last April '09.

Dimona self launching sailplane.

Cheers,
Peter
FollowupID: 666789

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:49
Hi Butch

We wont be taking a trailer. Just a dual cab with canopy and roof rack. Plan to camp most nights either in the bush or in caravan parks. Once or twice a week we will probably hire a cabin do give us a break from the tent.

We have 6 weeks available for the trip and I expect it will probably take all of that.

I am thinking we will probably lash out and do a flight over Lake Eyre while in the area We would also like to do a Camel ride/trek at some point

Hey Peter, love the picture. Wouldn't it be great if there was water in the lake when we are there. But what is the chance of that given that it happened last year and only ussually happens every 10 years or so.

Geoff
FollowupID: 666795

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:21
Great doc. Made recently by the look of it re the dust storm. I'm glad I didn't miss it.
AnswerID: 397969

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:34
Sensational program. About as recent as you will ever get for a major event like this in our lifetime, me thinks. They ensured the commentary was just sufficient to to guide us through, and they let the spectacular Aussie Outback do the rest. I hope I can buy a copy from the ABC.

Fred.
FollowupID: 666791

Reply By: Wilk0 - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 20:57
Hi Red rodeo,

Yes It was great made me want to pack up and go myself. Make sure you don't miss Kata Tjuta when you visit Uluru. lol

Have fun.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 397972

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:24
Only caught the last half of it due to not getting home till just before 10 p.m.
i was amazed at how many juvenile pelicans died out there when the food source was lacking. mother nature giveth and then taketh.
AnswerID: 397976

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:01

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:01
Same here.
Not on IView yet but hope they put it up.

Five images from the area in May.

FollowupID: 666864

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:35
Red Rodeo
Complete the loop!
You'l see Lake Eyre, whay not see where the water comes from.
Fom Alice Springs head home via the Plenty Highway to Boulia, part of the hearwaters where the Lake Eyre water comes from, go down to Diamantina Lakes, which become part of Coopers Ck, across to Longreach where the Thompson is apparently in flood right now.

We did a similar trip last July, bar Lake Eyre but unfortunately in only half the time you have
Otherwise make sure you get to the Painted Desert for a night near Oodnadatta. Stay at Pastoral Stations where they offer camping facilites, you will learn more about the country from locals rather than Caravan park & "resorts".
AnswerID: 397982

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:05
We currently have 2 plans to get home (gippsland Vic). Which plan we choose will depend on how long it takes to get to Alice Springs. We plan to take our time and enjoy the scenery. Who knows when we might get there next.

We have six weeks available. If we get to Alice Springs with a couple of weeks to spare we were going to take the Plenty Hwy and check out Boulia, Longreach and Burke. I am also keen to check out Parkes and Bathurst (and do a lap of the track) on the way home.

If time is short we will head for home via the Stuart Hwy and probably check out Robe.

The Painted Desert is definitely on the list. Not sure if possible but I would like to camp there so we can enjoy the sun setting and rising there.

I am interested in your suggestion about camping at Pastoral Stations. Is this something that needs to be pre-arranged? Is there a list of Pastoral Stations that offer camping?

Appreciate your advice

Geoff

FollowupID: 666819

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:33
Ask always ask - some have alocated times of the year and restrictions.
You can apply via pastoral lease access form available online on the SA pastoral board web site or should be. I am not sure on any other state each state has different regulations. I f you can't find station phone numbers try their local store. If you can only imagine the saftey issues for people in the outback when visitors are driving around and you don't know.
FollowupID: 666827

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:06

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:06
Geoff

Painted Desert is located within Ackaringa Station (spelling?), we found the manager and head stockman great people.
For some absurdly low price you get good showers, level cleared ground and a fireplace, an incinerator, all good when you have young kids.
You can't stay at the actual Panted desert landscape but the Station Homestead is only 10km away.

At Kings Canyon, this Forum has seen numerous debates over whether to stay at the Voyages Camping Resort or to stay 30km away (but on the way from Uluru) at Kings Ck Station. I didn't learn anything at the identical Voyages Uluru Camping Report, but I learnt a lot at the Kings Ck Station + we had a lot more space and shade.

I found the places to stay at on this Forum and from people on the road.

Diamantina Lakes are a diversion, not on the main road from Boulia to Longreach, and there can be long distances between fuel stops but well worth it.

I don't know how much further it is for you to head home via the Plenty, but there is a lot more to see in western Qld than there is from Port Augusta to Alice even if you just go straight down the bitumen from Boulia.
FollowupID: 666865

Reply By: Bob the - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:36

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 21:36
Hi, I had the pleasure of camping on Eyre creek for 3 days in june and watching the large numbers birds arrive in squaudrons like I have never seen before, it was one of my greatest pleasures to watch this grand event, and to see and try to take in the incedible amount of water that had come from the north to make this happen. WOW
AnswerID: 397983

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:02

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:02
I only saw bits of it - looked pretty glossy but I had an uncontrollable coughing fit when they say the "once in a generation" thing.

I remember the huge flood of 1974/75, and I've been fortunate enough to visit the Lake in much greater flood in 1989, 1991, and had a magic visit to the Babbage Peninsula in 2000. The 2009 event was relatively minor, but all good fun just the same.

The following graphs show how often the Lake gets water, which is a hell of a lot more than once in a generation - and you can see that it was a lot less than before. So if you missed out, then just give it a few more years and catch it next time!

Lake Eyre Flood Depth based on Satellite Data

AnswerID: 397988

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:38

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:38
Interesting data sets Phil in those graphs. If you had set them to width, the information would have shrunk too much to read the years on screen. Thanks
FollowupID: 666828

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:52
I agree - I wouldn't put all my money on the Sat. images either take it from someone who was there just for an example 08 there was a run in the Warburton not to the Lake but it put water in the kalaweerina creek. I followed the Lake Eyre Yacht Club page this flood not as accurate as you might think. I believe new technology is being released this year to help with the reading of Sat. images.
My prediciton is the Cooper this year but it's gotta lot of work to do.
FollowupID: 666834

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:48

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:48
In early 1989, after the filling of Lake Eyre, I was on an early morning flight from Melbourne to Hong Kong and as we approached Lake Eyre the captain got on the PA and suggested we look out the windows to check out the view of water in the lake.

Even in a Jumbo at 30000 feet it took a loooong time to pass over the Lake.

I had changed seats with my wife to watch it and as we crossed the Simpson Desert the rain had greened the desert also. Even at that height you could see the strips of greenery between the redness of the dunes

Impressive memory, but not as good as that held by those who saw it on the ground
FollowupID: 666879

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:18

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:18
Hi Geoff,

I loved the pics in the doco, but kept getting the feeling that something was just not quite right.

I came to the conclusion that the music didn't fit the pictures... it sounded too 'British'

But the footage they had was magnificent! Maybe it is just me :)

Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 397995

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:25

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:25
Must admit I agree

Although I was thinking that if I could get a copy of the CD they used I could annoy the hell out of the wife and kids on the way

FollowupID: 666825

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:39

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:39
As I read down the posts above, I was thinking just the same. It was nice enough, but the music was so old-fashioned and just kept on coming. The commentary was a bit lame at times too. It was a bit like listening to the Leyland Brothers.
I enjoyed it though.

FollowupID: 666829

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:42

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 22:42
Don't want to sound negative but you better be fairly flexible. Easter is pretty early in the year.
I have had to take Birdsville out of the itinerary a few times when planning April trips. All depends on where the rain falls in Qld.
The Plenty can be impassable in April as well at times.
I am hoping for a big wet this year. Not to interfere with your plans Geof, but to catch some amazing sights for myself in June.
We went to the Western side of Lake Eyre in 2000. Camped out at Halligan Bay & took a flight from William Ck.
After watching that docco last night I reckon the go would be to fly down Eyre Creel to Lake Eyre from Birdsville. I think it would cost a fair bit more but it would be better than flying out of William Ck.
AnswerID: 398001

Follow Up By: Member - A J- Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:24

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:24
Fatso - We took a flight last year from Birdsville for $600 (two of us) which took us down the Diamantina River over Goyder's Lagoon. At that stage Goyder's Lagoon was just a mass of small water courses as per the documentary and very green. During the flight down you had the red of the stony desert on one side - the green of the lagoon then the white of the Simpson desert on the other side.

We came back to Birdsville via Eyre creek which showed the water in between the dunes and very green where the water had been.

It was a very good flight and would recommend it should the rivers flood again.

Comparison of flight costs - Lake Eyre was $700.

A J
FollowupID: 666867

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 23:53

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 23:53
In Aug 98 we went from Toowoomba to Bourke it was in flood then so amazing how the country greens up. Then to Silverton, Claire and onto the Flinders. Took a fantastic flight from there over the pound. Up the Oodnadatta Track then across the French Line to Birdsville (races). We were driven out of there early hours of the morning by a dust storm then back home.
April 08 left Toowoomba to Durham Downs Station via Thargo. Went through the station on a access track very sandy to Arrabury then to Birdsville down the track and up the Strz to Cameron Corner (dest t-bone served with butter knife and that's all you needed it melted in your mouth). Zig zaged our way around via the bore track to Coongie lakes (full) Innamincka then back to Durham to pick the kids and van up and headed home took 3 weeks.
Two books that we purchased one from Mungeranie about Farina and the other from Innamincka about the area that one was yellow. They are in storage cant remember the exact names. Learning the history of floods gone by is fascinating. We haven't seen any thing yet.
AnswerID: 398014

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:41

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:41
It was a great doco.

It was on the ABC IView menu yesterday but I can't find it there today.
Not sure if it was removed or I'm just not looking properly. But I am sure it will be up for viewing sooner than later. So if you missed it, would like to see it again or want to send a link to a friend keep checking the ABC IView menu.
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398027

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:02

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:02
Hi Alex,

It's under the heading "previously".

For those that are interested here's the link to the ABC Iview:

ABC iView

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 666894

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:03

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:03
Thanks Graeme,
Much appreciated. I was sure it was there yesterday & I must have looked for it a dozen times this morning but obviously the brain didn't lock it in.

Thanks heaps

cheers
Alex

P.S do you know how you can copy it from I View to the desktop?

FollowupID: 666923

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 17:32

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 17:32
Thanks Graeme,

Also couldn't find it this morning.
FollowupID: 666946

Follow Up By: katepaul - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:12
hi alex this is off the track but i would love to see how u set up your unit on the inside do u have pics or info on the draws kitchen set up where u put food etc we are trying to set up a trade back similar to yours on a toyoto
thanks kate
FollowupID: 669216

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:34

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:34
Hi Katepaul
send me your eamial details and I'll arrange a few photos

alex@resultsnow.com.au

Cheers
Alex

FollowupID: 669282

Follow Up By: katepaul - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:07
alex thanks a lot shall do tonight ta kate
FollowupID: 669369

Reply By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:03

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:03
Hi Geoff, Re: your trip....The Mozzies at Dalhousie Springs are huge & relentless. Go there for a swim then camp away from them. Re: The Documentary, I can't get the ABC. but thanks to John giving us notification of it coming on we were able to get a friend to tape it. Thanks heaps John. By the time our holidays arrived, Lake Eyre was drying up the last time it filled. Take care when driving out & out back to it, only one road in & the same road out when we were there. These blokes came flying out of there peddle to the metal & no sandflag. We had to head bush or there would've been a nasty headon collision.Have a safe trip & enjoy. Take care Bye Sally.
AnswerID: 398071

Reply By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:18

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:18
Back again!. I should've put when heading in to Lake Eyre from William creek, when warning a bout the road into it. My Grandparents used to live on the banks of Eyre creek when they worked for Syd Kidman, so I have a special interest in that area. Bye Sally.
AnswerID: 398072

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:54

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:54
Bugger, I was crook last night (and still am) and forgot to record it, so if anyone knows how to obtain a copy, pls let me know.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398082

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:59

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:59
Hi All,
just found it,... it's now up on Iview... so I'm going to be busy for awhile.
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666916

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:56

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:56
Jst watched it on ABC Iview... what awesome stuff.
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666934

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:52

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 15:52
Hi Fred, Sorry to hear you were crook and hope you're better now. I thought that I might be able to help you with a copy of the Documentary a friend taped for us. However, we got it home and it won't play on our T.V. So looks like we'll both have to wait to buy a copy from the ABC. Take care. Safe travels. Bye, Sally.
FollowupID: 667443

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:52

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 16:52
Hi Pa,Ma&Gus, thanks for trying....
Have you tried it in your PC? Sometimes discs that won't work in one machine will work in another. This often happens when a "session"hasn't been 'closed' correctly. If it works, then you will at least have a copy...
regards
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667456

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:51

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:51
Thanks for that Fred, I've tried that. Neville seems to think that it hasn't been finalised on their machine. Our T.V. keeps saying (unknown disc). When we put it into the DVD recorder it keeps saying( This disc is not compatible). We're going to give it another try. If it still doesn't work, we'll send it back & see if he can fix it before he gets his 2 beers!.....LOL. Take car. Safe travels. Bye Sally.
FollowupID: 667505

Sponsored Links