Bendethera Valley Feedback

Did this trek a few weeks back in a landcruiser high lift body, Turbo diesel. There is no way authors time frames can be adhered to. Totally unrealistic. Some sections are extremly rough. especially before Bendethera Camp ground, coming in from Cooma-Braidwood road end. Road after camp ground is not too bad but standard clearance vehicle would need to go easy in certain places. Max speed was around 35 - 40 klm per hr. Not 60 as stated. Average speed most times 20 klm per hr. or less...!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:20

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:20
G'day Peter

I have done this trip 7 times in wet / very wet and dry conditions in a stock standard 04 rodeo with bitumen tyres with NO trouble whatsoever !
Having said that - your 20 kph or less is correct !

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 398035

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:43

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:43
I've been in there several times, towing our Ultimate Camper on most occasions.

It is NOT a place I would consider going if there had been rain (or if rain was forecast).

I just had a look at the travel plan thing-o-ma-jig and I must agree that there are some wild anomolies there in the times suggested. Even just the first 2 items listed in the table seem to indicate a brain fade..... 5 mins to do 12 klm and then 20min to do 7klm (all on the bitumen as far as I am aware).

Once they got into the park areas, they still seem to have been able to do very fast speeds for the terrain covered..... walking pace for a lot of the way in my opinion.

It's a beautiful part of the country and I wouldn't be put off by the few anomolies in the (otherwise very good) travel report.

Roachie
AnswerID: 398040

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:51

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:51
Roachie,

I have been trying to get SWMBO to go to Bendethera for years. One of the problems I have is that she has seen a report saying not to take campers in there because it is too difficult.

Can you tell me which way you went in and what the difficulties, if any were?

I tow a Trak Shak and have been doing so for many years.

Duncs
FollowupID: 666908

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:17

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:17
Duncs! I went in via Braidwood last Easter, it may have been the year before, it had rained the day before we got there. It is very steep with many hairpin bends coming in that way. We had our off road trailer, about 1000kg laden plus the gear in the Patrol fridge etc and was still very drivable on the damp dirt road, it comprises of rock and gravel so it is well drained in most sections. Coming back out on the Monday morning was not a lot different even though it had rained most of the Sunday night. I cant say that it was slippery to any noticeable degree. There is a river crossing at the entrance to the track when you leave the main road and it was about 600mm high coming in but due to the rain on the Sunday night, it was about 800mm high on my return. I was a little worried as i didn't have a snorkel at the time but crossed ok. On the other side there were two Landcruisers with the bonnets up so hopefully nothing serious for them. You climb up for a considerable time before a long descent into the valley and you will use all of the low range gears on that track into the valley with a camper. I haven't been in via Moruya, it may be not so steep and easier with a camper but i really found it no problem, though mildly challenging.
The valley is huge with 3 big camp areas with toilets, separated by small creek crossings and you will always find a camp spot there due to the size of the place. Obviously if a low range vehicle is necessary, it keeps the numbers down, such as cars, soft roaders and Suv's.
Although there was plenty of campers there, it is still quite and serene and just beautiful in the valley on a warm day. Plenty of clear/clean water for showering from the creeks but i carry our drinking and cooking water in. We took our own chem toilet luckily as the line up in the morning for the Park toilets was long.
Everyone was well behaved the weekend we were there..

Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 667556

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 22:35

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 22:35
Thanks for the info Michael,

It is nice to get info from someone who tows a trailer.

I have heard people say they wouldn't go anywhere near the place with a trailer, it's too steep, it's too tight, it's too slippery. To know that you got in and out safely with a trailer obviously means it's not too anything.

Now all I have to do is get a weekend clear.

Duncs
FollowupID: 667713

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:02

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:02
G'day Duncs,
I agree with Michael, although I'd steer well clear of the place if it was wet (but that's just me).
I've been in and out both ways (from Braidwood and Moruya). I also went out on one occasion via the Merricumbene Track, which comes out on the Araluen road. That was the most difficult track in/out in my opinion.
The track in/out via Moruya is the easiest.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 667718

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:12

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:12
Duncs,
Pick a dry weekend and you can do your own assessment of how a wet road may be for your own circumstances. You will enjoy the climb in and out and the valley itself.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 667730

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:21

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:21
Duncs and Roachie, We actually left mid morning and with all the vehicles that left before us, i have to say i was a little worried about the condition of the road, but to my surprise it was ok. It looked slippery in some of the steep sections but we went straight up no problems... Roachie, i will try the Moruya way next on the way in and back out the other.. It really is a nice place to go that is only a few hundred K's from Sydney. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 667732

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:33

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:33
Thanks again guys,

I feel confident taking your advice because I know you have both done a bit of travelling and know what it is to tow a well set up trailer.

Some people panic when you tell them you are towing, They seem to think that it is like disengaging the front diff and lowering your suspension.

I will get in there some time this year hopefully in Autumn.

Duncs
AnswerID: 398796

Sponsored Links