Lake Rason Shack no more

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 22:34
ThreadID: 75044 Views:5958 Replies:8 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundWe've just returned from a trip out to Leonora Lienster and Lake Rason.
Unfortunately the shack at Rason is destroyed looks like a bomb hit it.The
water tank is still full the larder is still stocked it seems a real shame.The people who built it will be disappointed,as we were to find it in this condition.If any one knows who they are perhaps they could pass on the bad news.
Norm
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 00:10

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 00:10
Norm

What do you think happed to it? Weather or Vandals?

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 398582

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:18

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:18
Richard
Theres so much stuff spread around outside it's hard to say one way or another
I would like to think it was a bad storm,but could not be sure.We got out there on the 4th,From memory the last people to sign the visitors book was on 25/12
and they commented on it being in ruins.With out knowing the layout it's hard to
rule out vandlas
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 667547

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 02:55

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 02:55
When you first look at it you think storm/willy-willy.
However, IF it was a storm how did the bed bases and tables get out-side? From some previous campers.
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 667553

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:04

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:04
Yes. what ever it was it looks a pity. another one of the planed trips.
FollowupID: 667554

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:28

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:28
Hi Tony
There were beds always outside with carpet on the dirt, under the verhanda. If it was a storm, I would have thought that there would be a lot of tree damage.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 667574

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:45

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:45
Norm
I would say some yobbo has found the place by accident while driving past,and then used his mode of transport to wreck the place,he/they would have pulled out some post's and it look's like it has collapsed down,after they have taken what they wanted.........I have no time for this sort of crap as Phill and his mates spent a lot of time building it,as of this March i was going out their for my first visit, look's like i will be going out for a look to see what can be done to fix it.

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.
FollowupID: 667590

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:47

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:47
Hi Norm
I still can not believe it. Just one question, the large stone hand built outside oven seems to be missing for making bread or pizza. The size and weight of it to me means only one thing, and they are not natural causes?

Can you confirm if you saw this????

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667697

Follow Up By: Marlin 32/20 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 22:27

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 22:27
HI Stephen
I was with norm when we discovered the ruined shack

i can confirm that theven is still on site and undamaged

Dave
FollowupID: 667712

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:22

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:22
Stephen
As Dave says it is still there some how didn't make it into the photos
Norm
FollowupID: 667720

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:58

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Dave and Norm
Thanks for that information. From your inspection of the site, can you have any clear ideas of what has happened. From my photos, you will see that all past visitors respected the site and it was left immaculate. All rubbish burnt, the carpet on the dirt floor was swept and the place had a real homely feel to it. I would dare say that with some good prior notice and in the cooler months, perhaps members from here on EO could get together and get the place back to its former glory. With the room that is there, it could make a perfect place for an EO gathering, as there is so much history out that way and many great places to visit.

Please keep us informed.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667755

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:11

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:11
Norm,
You might be able to contact the owner through this other forum link:
Rason shack LINK.

cheers
phil
AnswerID: 398587

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:33

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 01:33
Thanks Phil
I used the link to send a message Hopefully he gets it and can get back to me
Norm
FollowupID: 667548

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:56

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:56
Also norm,
Here's a more recent thread from October:
Exploroz thread
AnswerID: 398595

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:49

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:49
In that thread Phil, Desert cruiser talks of termite damage that needs attention, so i suspect the structure was weakened and a wirlly or strong storm wind finished it off, hope they have enough heart left to rebuild it, it is a great idea, and respite area.

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 667566

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:26

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:26
There is termite damage to the side wall supports of what would seem to be the original part of the shack.Part of the roof and wall of this have buckled/bent but is still hanging in there
Norm
FollowupID: 667721

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:07

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:07
Gday Pesty,
I've been past that shack 3 times and not called in! Just assumed it was private.
FollowupID: 667779

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:33

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:33
Hi Norm
It sure looks like a bomb has hit it. We were there last August and it was intact.
For us it was unreal. As for vandals, I would hope that some low life has not even gone down that track as it is surely too remote. I still look at your pictures in horror. All I can say is that we all hope that those that spent so much time making the 7mmillers Bar N Grill can get it back to the way it was. For those that can not understand the horror, here are a few pictures when it was unreal.

Cheers

Stephen
[Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Foundfi]/58567.5/Forum/Pic_399[/fi]Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398603

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:12

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:12
Looks a pretty hard thing to pull down let alone fall or be pushed down
FollowupID: 667625

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:38

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:38
Hi Richards
It was a top little shack. From what we could see, everyone appreciated it, as there were many things that could have been taken, but were there intact. Looking at the pictures, it looks more likely that someone has blown it up, by the way the inside gear is scattered outside. Many people visited the 7mmillers hut and a lot of people with very high powered firearms. There were a few pieces of 1/2" thick bore casing that is used as target practice. Most projectiles that hit it, flatten out or make a small mark on it. There were a number of shots that went through both sides of the bore casing, as if it was made out of plastic. I am no gun expert, but I do know that what ever was used to shoot those holes would have been a very high powered rifle. There has been terrorist activities around Laverton in the past. We were told about them when we were there last. You may remember the gassing on the Japanese subway a few years ago. The guy's that did it purchased a property near Laverton and perfected the gas out there.

Let us hope that it is returned to its former glory, as it was and still is a top little spot in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667635

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:07

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:07
I must have looked at the thread 20 times today, and wonder who would do this to the shack?????????????????????.
Anyway how far to the shack from Bunbury,as i might go up and have a good look at it and see what's needed to fix it,spend some days their and send some picks back for all to see.

FollowupID: 667729

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:41

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 00:41
Hi William
I would guess it's around 1100 to 1200 K's from Bunbury to the the shack.
Whats needed is steel supports maybe "C" section to establish a main structure
to work from.A lot of whats needed is possibly laying on the ground there.
I think it requires a tidy up firstly to find a point to start.the timbers in the main shack could be replaced with the C section to give a good building base.
All the work that has been done in the past is not entirely wasted as so much can be salvaged and rebuilt Let me know if/when you may head out there i'm happy to lend a hand
Norm
FollowupID: 667735

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:25

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:25
Stephen

with replies like this from the owner I can see why. :)

"It's called the "Seven Millers Shack"
due to the 4 owners all have 7mm Remington Magnum Rifles."

ThreadID: 72875.

ever way it looked like they put a lot of effort into it..

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 667740

Follow Up By: David B (wa) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:24

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:24
TO ALL HOW HAVE ENJOYED THE COMPFORTS OF THE SHACK

Could a time be organised to have a working bee to help rebuild as best as possible the damage done to the shack

The guys and girls who have built this over many years opened it up to many travellers without any thoughts of profit or personnell gain

I feel that we all could help if we could give up a few days to lend a hand to rebuild.

Any donations of materials i think would also be appreciated

David B (WA)
Traveling with The other Norm C
FollowupID: 667745

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:48

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:48
David

Maybe we need to find out why this way done? we need to find "Darryl McLean - Seven Miller" and see if they know about it, maybe there are reasons for them to have done it because of some outside influences, who knows.

I think we could round up some people, but we better make sure it's for the right reason.

Regards

Richard

and good night
FollowupID: 667750

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:59

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:59
Hi Richard, Norm, Dave and William
Like we all have seen from the pictures supplied by Norm, we are all "shell shocked" at what has happened to this truly classic little bit of Australia in the Great Victoria Desert. I can see why so many people have kept this little piece of heaven a secret. Take a close look at the next picture that I am inserting.

Image Could Not Be Found
One of the first things that any visitor would see well before seeing the shack, as they weaved there may through the tree was the best and proudest symbol that any true Australian will proudly show - The Australian Flag.

I like so many other people want to see this shack rebuilt to its former glory and I know that there are many that have read this thread that are will willing to help out in some form or another.

We all wait to see what is going to happen next.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667759

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:38

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:38
Norm
I was there a couple of years ago with some fellow 4WDers and we thoroughly enjoyed the place. I remember a recent thread on the shack by one of the owners stating that the whiteboard with the mud map and GPS points of places of intrest had been 'libertated' by some low life, One of our group had a clear photo of the board with all POI's clearly readable and had offered it to the owners.
From looking at your photos it would seem to have been purposely wrecked. If it was storm damage one would expect to see damage to trees and stuff from shack scattered around. If it is the work of vandals I would hate to be in their shoes if they are identified as their actions have raised the ire of a hell of alot of 4WDers. Hopefully the guys will rebuild but unfortunately the element of trust will never be the same.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 398726

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:31

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:31
Hopefully it will all come down to a storm whizzing thru.
Still trying to contact the owner/builder.
I'm happy to assist in the rebuild as I believe the shack has so much to offer
people travelling the area
Norm
FollowupID: 667723

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:28

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:28
Norm
On one of the web sites it says he comes from Collie in WA which is only 50 klicks from me down here in Bunbury,if i new his name i will go up and see him and let him know what has happened about the shack.

FollowupID: 667766

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 21:25

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 21:25
Norm
I don't know if you were able to contact the owner, Daryl McLean. but his forum name is Desert Cruiser.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 398895

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 00:46

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 00:46
Got hold of him Today I posted an update a short while ago.It seems to in hand
They are aware of the goings on and heading out there late January for a rebuild
Norm
FollowupID: 667894

Reply By: DesertCruiser - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:56

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:56
Hi all, Darryl, Dags or DesertCruiser here,

We recieved the news off the shack in early Dec 09, and before it more damaged as in the tin sheets getting bent etc. we are going on a fix it trip.

It's great to see so much interest about the shack. it was built 1993/94 and was built for the purpose of a perminate shelter for any and all to use.
over the years more has been added, water Tank, battery bank for the solar panels we take. beds to make the swag a bit more comfitable and off the ground.

For the theory-est's out there, All the stuff thats appears outside the shack was actually inside. the shack has jus been lifted up or peeled open by a huge willy willy which came up from the salt lake ( north easterly direction) picked up the side verandah throwing it up and over the roof of the shack. everything was welded to eachother. so that took the wall with the window in it which inturn took the main roof......... you can see where this is going. turned the whole show inside out.

BUT...... on the 23rd/24th Jan 2010 2 of us are heading out there with welder, screws, roofing iron and this time something special...........
CONCRETE. We should have thought of the first time arround.

Darryl McLean
Collie, 08 9734 1842
AnswerID: 399415

Follow Up By: DesertCruiser - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:12

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:12
Oh, by the way, some extra info
It's called the seven millers because we owners all own 7mm Remington Magnum Rifles.
We built it not just for us, but for all 4wd'ers who are enthuiastic about traveling our great country.

One traverler who stopped in at the Shack while we were there, stated the next morning that the shower was a welcome supprise after a week without, and so was the Meat pie and chips we gave him for tea.

All are welcome to use the shack, but PLEASE, burn your rubbish, and Take your GLASS Bottles with you.
Leave it neat and clean ( not that it's in that condition Now LOL ) and it will be there for a long while and wont get kicked out by the Gov watch dogs!

Thanks to all, and we will post pic's of the rebuild here on our return

Build it bigger, build it STRONGER!

dags/ Desert Cruiser
FollowupID: 668378

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:50

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:50
Hi Darryl
Firstly like so many that have been there, I could not believe my eyes. I wish you and your mates all the best, with my only regret that I am 2500 kilometres away, otherwise I would be there to help out. Like I mentioned above the place was left perfect, the carpet swept and the fire set for the next person use it.

Please keep us informed, as we all await your news.

Best Regards and all the best with the rebuild.

Stephen Langman

Clare SA
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668415

Reply By: DesertCruiser - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 17:26

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 17:26
Have made a new thread " Shack Rebuild Lake Rason" with pic's

Hope you enjoy.
AnswerID: 402983

Sponsored Links