QLD Tolls

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:36
ThreadID: 75173 Views:4470 Replies:10 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
There have been a few threads on paying tolls for travel on the QLD toll roads. Some have said that they have travelled with out a transponder, and not yet received a toll notice.

Well here is our experience today.

Company Vehicle (We have 20 odd transponders in vehicles with a QLD Motor Way Toll Account) travelled over the Gateway Bridge in May 2009 and the transponder did not register. A month before, the number plates were changed on the vehicle, and therefore the "rego" number was not on file for our account. Received a toll notice today (8-9 months later) along with administration charges of 20.00 ($22.95 in total). Thought OK....ring them, give the transponder number, account number, and reasons for the rego plate change (They did have the old rego number listed for the account), and the original $2.95 would be charged to the account, (as you can with all other toll companies in NSW and VIC when you have an account set up) and all would be sweet.

How wrong I was.......

Gladly change the rego number (old one removed, and new added), but when it came to the toll charge......"oh NO....We do not do that. You have to pay the full out standing fees via credit card. Can not put them against your account. If you do not pay, then you will get a $140.00 fine from Qld Police for "non payment of fines".

So a word of warning to all who have travelled or may travel on QLD Motorway (now called "GOVIA").....You may not have received a notice yet....but you may still get one. And you will get ripped off by the service provider....

Simon C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:56
G/Day Simon

It certainly pays to keep all your records up todate with that mob, we only have 3 vehicles with Transponders on them, I would hate to have a fleet of trucks ect, any way somebody has to help pay for the new bridge they are building lol lol.

Cheers
AnswerID: 399211

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:18
I can can relate to your issue. Natural Justice is not something on Govia's agenda.

I registered an account with Govia with 2 tags. After 4 weeks no tags. Rang and told Oh sent them to WA not to our formal street address or our postal address but our with a lot number of their own making. They said they will send 2 more to the correct address but it not that important to have a tag. I have been through 3 tolls but nothing shows on my account as recording the number plate.
A toll notice has been sent so the toll fees now can't come off the account.
Next I get a final notice for $80 for replacement tags.
It appears that I am responsible for finding where the original tags and toll notice have been sent. Australia Post can't help other than it should go back to sender at some point. Govia don't record where or who was the recipient of return to sender mail.
Looks like I am in for some fun in time.

Neil
AnswerID: 399213

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:48
I was wondering who ordered those tags for me (got my name wrong though) LOL!

Just send the final notice back marked "return to sender: not at this address" - that will confuse them
FollowupID: 668228

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:47
I have 3 vehicles with transponders, wife's car, cruiser, and my primemover.
with lead up to xmas, I would on some days do 3 trips north from southside with the primemover, approx $25 per trip return, with a $100 top-up set with a $20 trigger,it become difficult to keep track of when the deductions where happening, and when they appeared on the visa statement.
I finished with primemover on Sat 19th Dec,Left Brisbane in the Cruiser on the 21st, used Sydney harbour bridge, as well as other toll ways to the east of Sydney and out to the south west on the 22nd.
Then on the 2nd Jan, used Melbourne's domian tunnel and the to the north, back to Brisbane,
Imagine my surprise when I had a look at my visa statement showing that govia had topped-up my toll account on the 21st, 26th, 29th, and 4th jan, that's $400 !!!
As soon as the customer service center opened, I was there asking for an explanation on how I racked up $400 in tolls when I had only used a few toll ways over a period of 2 weeks, the nice lady printed me a statement showing all my movements for December, and it all "added up" the trips corresponded with what I had done since the 19th, all the interstate stuff was also correct, so why did I have so much money applied to my VISA????.
I seams that while the usage statement is updated quickly, the actual money side is slow and when you rack up a fair bit of usage n a short period, they get slow in charging, so now I've found myself very much in the dark with where my account is or even If I'm paying someone else toll, they couldn't give me info on when my next payment will be applied to my visa!!
I'm most unhappy about allowing this get out of control, and not fully understanding there system ( they nice lady at the counter couldn't explain it either), but have no real choice but to SUCK-IT-UP, I HAVE to have the damned thing. spewing
Shane
AnswerID: 399219

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:45

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:45
I've often wondered what would happen in that case... your account's running low, you go through the gate and it automatically sends a "top up" request and charges your credit card - what happens next time you go through a gate if the actual funds haven't yet reached your account? What happens if you keep going through the gates and you run the account empty and the top up still hasn't reached your account?

Here's what I suggest might have happened: the trouble is a credit card charge is not immediate with approvals etc. and more significantly, banks like to sit on any transferred money for a day or two before passing it on to the relevant organisation who will also sit on it for a day or two before putting into the appropriate account - this could mean a few days before your account actually gets topped up (or more over an extended period of public holidays eg. Christmas & New Year - not that many people would be travelling much at that time of year!). In the meantime, you keep going through the gates, each time the tag registers "low account" and orders a top up from your credit card... You get home and find $400 charged to your credit card - hopefully you'll also find $400 topped up in your toll road account! :-)
FollowupID: 668227

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:49

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:49
The top-ups happen at midnight, I had my transponder double beep first thing in the morning, so I rang up and explained that I will be using tollway a fair bit today, so I ask what if my account "bottoms out"?, no drama was the reply, and it wasn't.
The money side was slow in the top-ups, i continued to use the tolls faster than the system could top-up, hence it fell behind, the statement of usage updates within the hour, or a day if using an interstate toll,but the actual money thing is a different kettle, to get around future inconsistant balances, I can set a higher topup value, so they happen so close together, so often.

Shane
FollowupID: 668360

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:49
No you dont' have to have toll ways. Right to your local member and complain. Vote for pollies who will get rid of toll ways.

We in the west do not have them and I would protest in the streets if they tried to bring one in here.

We just had the new Mandurah & Forrest Hwy opened before xmas and it is great. No toll - just drive along with no stops or hassles.

We pay taxes and I expect the government should provide society infrastructure.

Just my bit and I feel very sorry for eastern staters who have toll ways imposed on them. It is not Australian and just not right. Next will be compulsory tipping.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399251

Follow Up By: kiwicol1 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:33
your time will come. !!!!!!! Col
FollowupID: 668237

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:25

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:25
"your time will come. !!!!!!! " Hope it's long after I've gone, geez I am getting confused just reading this thread. How nice it is to travel this great and large State without having to pay at toll gates to get through. We've no doubt paid more in taxes over the years though.

Question???? If you have a QLD Govia Motorway Toll Account does that etag cover for all states that have Tolls on them???

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668263

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:50

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:50
Deanna.
I think now all tag providers are now linked and can be used in all states, But initially, when they were first introduced, they were not. Must have been a nightmare for interstate trucks.

Steve
FollowupID: 668304

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:16

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:16
Thanks for your reply Donks1, at least I guess that is something, it would be a nightmare not only for the truckies but also, to a certain extent, the tourists, it will be an education if we ever get over that way, which by the way is on our radar.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668354

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:00

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:00
The problem is, the goverment doesn't build these tolllway's, corporations do!, just like any other business, the corps identify something we all need, work out how much it will cost, how much will it earn.
It will happen over there sooner or later, you can vote government out if they approve a tollway, but after they get their kickbacks and a job on the corporation board, it won't matter what the voters say.

Shane
FollowupID: 668362

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:34

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:34
I would disagree. WA people can make our politicians bend to our will. We voted out daylight saving. (please don't have a debate on that)

I feel WA people and NT people just would not tolerate having to pay to drive on roads that are built in our country. It is like you don't own your country or have citizenship rights here.

I dread touring over east as I would attempt to avoid these toll roads even if it meant going miles out of my way.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668428

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:00

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:00
Hi Shane, I am aware that private companies are building the toll roads over in the East but the private Comps are also building our highways over here as well but still we don't have the tolls, as I said, we pay it through taxes. A few years ago there were rumbles in the corridors of parliament regarding toll roads, ( I think it was in the planning of the recently opened Forest Highway) but that was very quickly dispelled.

Serendipity, you are right when you say the people had a win on DS, but it would be a very brave govt that starts DS up over here after FOUR failed referendums, however toll roads is a very different matter and I agree that if the can see more dollars in toll roads as opposed to taxes, tolls will be in whether we like it or not. From what I gather and from our experience the roads over here are a lot better than those of other States.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668437

Reply By: kiwicol1 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:30
Went through same thing being from QLD went to vic, caught the ferry to tassy, came home 9 mths later,new nothing about e-tag, expecting to pay toll at gate, as in QLD. when i got home, had fines totalling about $900. No dramas wrote back saying being away for 9 mths and hadn't received mail, and knew nothing about the vic tolls. Long story short, after many letters to & fro, the case went to the vic magistrates court, wrote them a letter stating the facts. Reply back case dismissed, due to common sense. The people that send the pay up or else bills are private company's so have to go through the courts to recover moneys owing. So my advice, reply to all correspondence, stating your side of the story and let them take you to court, then state the facts to the courts, all done by mail or e-mail, common sense prevails.

Col
AnswerID: 399265

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:09

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:09
I got my rates notice yesterday and it included a flyer for the new CLEM 7 tunnel - I nearly fell off my chair when I read that this will be operated by a total different entity requiring another transponder. They have got to be kidding I will need a bigger windscreen just to accomodate these devises. I guess the next insult will be a fine for obstructing my vision. I will be voting with my tyres and avoiding the CLEM.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 399321

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:57

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:57
Roam express is nation wide. 1 Tag, All Roads
Steve
FollowupID: 668306

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:41

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:41
G'day Steve,

I use my transponder around the country but I didn't get that warm and fuzzy about the instructions for the CLEM. But who knows I've been wrong before.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 668312

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:58

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:58
Just to makes things difficult Hey

Surely these things are regulated now so that " 1 size fits all "

Steve
FollowupID: 668313

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:01

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:01
It would make the most sense BUT we are talking governments here and that is a rare commodity for them.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 668314

Follow Up By: Rob! - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:21

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:21
Beatit,

I had a close look at that flyer after your post.

The flyer says:
"FLOW is a exciting new ALTERNATIVE electronic tolling servive provider..."

So I think we will be able to use the Go-Via and others.
FollowupID: 668471

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:25

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:25
Thanks Rob, I hope you're right!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 668473

Follow Up By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:26

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:26
Yes you will be able to use your transponder on all toll roads in Brisbane and Australia. The toll roads are all run by different private companies, but you can still use the one transponder..
FollowupID: 668475

Follow Up By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:29

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:29
they will work it out on their end the distribution of funds if using your transponder on a different toll road... ie... Clem Jones Tunnel, NSW toll roads etc... Rest assured you only need the one transponder!
This is what they told us before they kicked us tollies out.
FollowupID: 668478

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:39

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:39
Hi Jo,

Thanks for the info and I hope that you have landed on your feet? I have used my transponder on the M7 in Sydney a bit and on one occasion forgot to beep off but they worked it all out from the number plate and all ended up OK. I have a healthy low level of trust about these types of people. I have worked for several organisations where this sort of issue was just shrugged off with “they’ll get over it!”

Kind regards
FollowupID: 668484

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:06

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:06
I would say that any politician or government in W.A. that tried to introduce toll ways would soon find their selves in the Centrelink queue.

You tuther siders should consider that.

As far as I know, here in the West at least, the only people who can issue infringement notices are the police and local authorities. All other private companies who administer parking stations have to take you through a civil court to recover the "fines" or sell the debt to a debt collector.
AnswerID: 399323

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:16

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:16
And now try catching a train or bus if you only visit Brisbane once or twice per year , cant buy a ticket anymore.
AnswerID: 399327

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:56

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:56
Sydney too

Steve
FollowupID: 668305

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:37

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:37
If that is so why have they just introduced higher fares IF YOU BUY A TICKET.

They are trying to get everyone to change to the GO card but was talking to my mate who drives buses in Brisbane and he still sells tickets.

In the last 8 months have also bought tickets in both Sydney and Melbourne off drivers in buses.

FollowupID: 668708

Reply By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 15:11
And as I wrote in the last thread about such... had I of still been there to take your toll money... everything would be all sweet.. But The government along side with Qld Motorways thought it would be in everyone's best interests to put me and all the other tollies out of a job and leave you mob to have to fend for yourselves..
You can't tell em....
AnswerID: 399374

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:21

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:21
Queensland-beautiful one day, perfect the next-NOT :-)

It'll never happen in WA
AnswerID: 399487

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:40

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:40
Would u like to put a small wager on that ? Have found that as soon as someone says 'never' it very soon does.
FollowupID: 668464

Sponsored Links