4WD parking close to RPA hospital in Camperdown

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 16:01
ThreadID: 75356 Views:7114 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow travellers. I am hoping that someone may be able to help.

Does anyone know whether there is parking suitable for 4WD vehicles close to RPA Hospital in Missenden Rd Camperdown, Sydney? Many city parking areas are either not long enough or there are height restrictions which prevent higher vehicles from entering. We have a Navara Dual cab ute.

I am reluctant to have to pay for a nights accommodation in a hotel just to park the car for a few hours when I attend a medical appointment there twice in the next couple of weeks.
(Actually I would rather not have to go to the city at all however just occassionally it is a necessity! I much prefer towing the van to the least inhabited parts of this country)

Regards,
Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 16:32

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 16:32
Hi Heather,

Can't help you re parking, but is leaving the vehicle at a railway station on the outskirts of Sydney and catching a train in an option? With seniors (?) discount that would be pretty cheap.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 400346

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:03

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:03
I think that's what I'd be doing. I think seniors can get an all day ticket for a dollar or two - certainly cheaper than parking!

Heather, do you have roof racks on the car? I never had a problem fitting into basement parking in my standard height Jackaroo even in the middle of Sydney (ie. George St.), although some of those carparks are pretty cosy!
FollowupID: 669486

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:37
Thanks Val and Timbo for your quick replies.

The appointments are at 9am and 8.30am so it all adds considerably to the travelling time to leave the car at a railway station on the outskirts of the city and then have to get from the station to the hospital either on foot or by cab. We already have a drive of approx 2.5 hrs so it makes our departure time early enough without adding to it so this isnt really an option on these occasions. I amnot really worried about the cost, more the convenience.

Timbo, we have taken the roofracks off the ute so the height probably isnt a problem, and maybe because it is early enough in the day there will be meter parking spaces on the street. As usual I am maybe worrying unnecessarliy.
Just thought someone on here may have had previous experience with this particular hospital.

Cheers,

heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669492

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:06
Heather
Newtown Railway station is only about 1-2k's from RPA and I can't see how it can be quicker for you to drive through the morning peak hour than it would be to get a train from an outlying suburb and then a cab or a bus. You have'nt told us where you are travelling from, so I cant recommend a train station, but I think you should give this real consideration.

Teege
FollowupID: 669517

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:18
Thanks Teege,

I have a second appointment at Concord Hosp later in the day and would like to be able to drive to and park near there as well which is why we hadnt considered taking a train from an outlying station.

We will be travelling from Ulladulla.

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669518

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:02
Hi Heather
I haven't parked there since mid 2008 when there were big changes going on at the front of the building and if that helped with parking, I don't know. I suggest you ring the switch and ask about parking - they'll probably put you through to someone who knows. Anyway, there is on-street parking in Missenden Road and in Carillon Avenue (head up Missenden Road with RPA on your left and turn left). Also, there is an underbuilding car park at that intesection, but I don't know about heights etc. Leave yourself plenty of time to find a space - it took me a quite a while to get one each time.
All the best
Megan
AnswerID: 400354

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:22
Thanks Megan,

yes I know about the carpark under the corner building at RPAH medical centre and it has a height restriction of approx 1.85 metres so that is out for me.

I will do as you suggest and phone the hospital beforehand, and if they cant enlighten me then I guess I can park on Missenden Rd or Carillion Ave without too many problems that early in the morning.
My husband can do the meter filling and checking if we are there longer than anticipated.

I will certainly leave a bit of time to find a space - and give the new GPS a test too later in the day when we have to go on to Concord Hosp for further tests!

Many thanks,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669503

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:16

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:16
Heather its been a couple of years, but we parked in a open car park next to RPa, had to pay but no big deal. Even went up the back and got under some shady trees. I think it was next to a uni. Coming in from the west it is easy to find, straight down Parramatta road and turn right into Missenden.
The carpark was just before RPa, on the left on the Parramatta rd side.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 400369

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:29
Pete - I will look out for it.

I thought there must have been somewhere close which would be suitable. The cost doesnt matter so long as it is convenient and this one sounds as though it is.
I am coming from the south and will turn onto Missenden Rd from the Newtown end so parking should be signposted.

Thankyou, much appreciated

Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669520

Reply By: CJ - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:36
I am puzzled

A Navara dual cab fits into any standard carpark, fit under any city height bar, even in those tight (and low) longterm parking multi story buildings. Even in basement parkin.

I am not sure if you have a problem at all?

Have you ever had a problem with height? Lenght is surely not a problem, I doubt if it is longer than any Commodore/Falcon?

CJ
AnswerID: 400371

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:52
Sydney University has metered parking - I'm not sure how much it is, but there should be plenty of it, since term doesn't start until the end of February.
AnswerID: 400376

Reply By: Bushtrek - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 21:52
Heather,
There is plenty of parking at the Hospital.

When you come up Missenden Rd (from Newtown), turn left (West) into Carillon Avenue and the entrance to the parking area is first on the right (at a set of lights).
There is both undercover and open air parking.

It is essentially behind the old Womens Hospital on Missenden Road.

There is also public parking (open air) further up Missenden Rd towards Parramatta Rd just past the Grose St intersection.

Cheers and good luck
AnswerID: 400392

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:08
thanks Bushtrek - much appreciated.

Cheers,
heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669545

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:09
thankyou to all who have replied to my post.

I appreciate your time and effort.

heather G

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 400395

Reply By: apeel - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:43

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:43
I see that you have had some good replies above.

There are plenty of options in the area.

There is 2 hour on street meter parking on the surrounding streets. Some areas are 4 hour meters (Missenden Road closer to Parramatta Road).

There is an open air parking area near the hospital (if travelling on Missenden Road towards Parramatta Road, turn right immediately after the McDonalds, 7 Elen and florist on the right, just after the hospital entrance). Expect to pay about $20 for 2 hrs.

The best place to park is in the open air car park opposite the main hospital, behind one of the other hospital buildings (access by turning left from Missenden Road, if travelling towards Parramatta Road, at the traffic lights at the main hospital entrance). Cost is $5 per 24hrs (insert coins to get the boom gate to open. Obviously this fills up pretty quickly but at that time of the morning there is a good chance that you will drop lucky. Consider getting there in good time to secure a spot or fins an alternative.
AnswerID: 400575

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 13:11

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 13:11
thanks for your information apeel I am sure it will be useful. I have printed it off and will take it with us on the day.

regards,
Heather G

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669771

Sponsored Links