Ya can't please everyone

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:00
ThreadID: 7539 Views:1788 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Doing a patrol out towards Windorah this arvo when I stopped and had a chat to some tourists stopped for a bit of lunch. They came up this way about 3 days ago and went to Birdsville. They were a bit dissapointed about not seeing much wildlife and that it was so dusty and dry and all the creeks were dry. Thought Coopers Creek would have been a bit more spectacular. And the roads weren't in real good nick.
Anyway you all get the idea.
I wonder what they expected?
Anyhoo hope they get back to suburbia safely.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Maybe it'll rain before their next trip and the grass will be green, the rivers flowing, the wildlife in abundance and the bloody council will grade the roads.
But somehow I don't think I'll see them again.
Happy travelling.

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:17

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:17
Hiya Dave, I think that tourists don't know what to expect, perhaps they don't do their homework, perhaps their too busy comparing it to wherever they came from.

We had an OS friend stay with us last year, he freaked out over the condition of a C road [between Romsey and Wallen in Vic] it's not a bad road, it's narrow, but tarred the whole way, and the views are really lovely. He kept going on about how you can land a jet on the roads in the States....and I said "Oh really"...well how about landing a jet on this road, and I took a left and drove him along a trak with even more spectacular views..the track itself is all clay and gravel, winding and hilly and I doubt he saw anything as his eyes were closed...something to do with the drop that was on his side...ahahahhaha....I said to him "what do you want...tarmac or some bush life..."???? The Kids loved it though...

Lyn [Mrs Al]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 32529

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:43

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:43
That Wallan /Romsey road is a nice rally track.!!! Though I seem to recall a rarther sharp bend somewhere along the line which nearly caught me unawares. You shouldn't have scared that man, you know. Was the rear wheel still attached or was it flying loose as before..hahahaha
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23250

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:52

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:52
Hi Willie..no the wheel was firmly in place....he didn't complain about C roads anymore after that....he also got scared along the Great Ocean Rd, didn't like that either....Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

FollowupID: 23272

Reply By: uppy - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:52

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:52
Hi Dave, im a os guest.Ive come to see Aust with the family. we live in a bush area in nsw leeton.Weve come to see the big wide open spaces .Not the green hills of home(N.Z.)We are going to Ivanhoe this weekend .When in Rome do what the Romans do
Regards uppy
AnswerID: 32533

Follow Up By: Member - Dave- Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:59

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 19:59
NZ, Leeton, Ivanhoe & Rome. I should send em your way. Maybe they'll find somewhere to their liking.Dave
FollowupID: 23244

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:20

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:20
It's great- they do it once, never go back and leave more rooom for the rest of us..
AnswerID: 32537

Reply By: uppy - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:32

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:32
No thanks Dave ill just send them Sydney way. They can check the wild life there
regards uppy
AnswerID: 32539

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:53

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:53
Dave, you are definitely in the Big Sky Country. How large is the area that you have to patrol? Haven't been your way in 35 years...must go again and have another look. Couple of year ago we did the run from Cunnamulla through to Innamincka and south from there and had a good camp in the creek just outside of Eulo. From there the old truck started hyperventilating(it was the beginning of October) especially through the Jackson Oil Field but we made it back to South Oz hiccupping all the way. Moved the 'lectric fuel pump closer to the fuel tank and solved the problem.
Cheers,
WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 32544

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 21:40
G'day Dave. Not really a local up there but do love that bit of cooper! What those visitors miss out on. Our winter is on keero..... and always get up to see Ian &co at least a couple of times. Hope the pub renovations finished up ok. Anyone going up there looking for a bit of real outback hospitality, see Ian and Marilyn at the Western Star.
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32548

Follow Up By: Member - Dave- Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 06:27

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 06:27
haze

Yep great people. The pub is lookin good now and the beer is cold. Always a must to stop in when I'm out that way. Might see you up this way one day.

Dave
FollowupID: 23269

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:10

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:10
I dunno about that Dave... I found a great road between innamincka and windorah which was great fun.... just two wheel tracks the whole way and creek crossings which almost made the hood on a few occasions in June this year..muddiest road i have found for a long time...GREATTTTTTTT FUNNNNNNN........._____________________________________________

Reply By: Member - Roger - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:28

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:28
HI Dave,
Bin yor part of the world and loved it, camped on the cooper n caught some good fish. Some jest dont know what they see before their eyes. But then I love the wide open places dust flies n all.
See YaDodg
AnswerID: 32618

Sponsored Links