Barrington Trail - Junction Pools Campground

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 22:11
ThreadID: 75457 Views:6523 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

If this has already been asked apologies in advance. A link to existing thread appreciated.

My husband and i love basic camping and I keep reading about the Barrington tops.
Think i've narrowed it down to the Junction Pools Campground in a few weekends time but would love it if someone who's been could answer a few questions

1) Is the Barrington Trail an easy 4wd track? Only recently aquired the 4wd and don't want to take on too much too soon. (yeah i know, spoonful of cement!)

2) Whats the likely hood of other campers being there on a regular weekend? Are we talking one or two or are we saying more packed out than Woolworths on a Saturday afternoon? Ideally looking for seclusion.

3) Are campfires permitted? The websites say wooden bbqs but does that mean pits or a properly built bbq setup? I realise fireban restrictions permitting.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:52

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:52
We went up that a few months back, beautiful is the word and remote. Best would be to go for a drive the week before if you can spare the time and look around. I like the devils hole camp ground myself because toilets are just down the road for the ladies.

if your new to 4wd driving taking it easy is great.

Just let somebody know at home or in town and carry a uhf. No mobile reception up there. check weather which yolu can do thru most of the weather pages on your homepage.

Alternatively ring scone or dungog visitors information centre or the rangers, quick websearch will get the numbers.

Best to take a gas or fuel stove as most likely due to the dry hot weather there will be a total fire ban in place. Qucik call to the rangers station will tell.

there are a few people who just go there for the day. there arre some who just go for a quick camp. we mainly saw a lot of people arounf the low camping area's and one or two scattered around the higher sites. could go into the 4wd area's due to only being in the laser.

Have a good weekend when you do go.
AnswerID: 400917

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:55

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:55
1-Was there in September most tracks in the park 2WD the only bit you may consider 4WD is the access to the campsite then it depends on the weather (rain etc) otherwise hi-clearence is more important then 4WD if its at all doubtful the NPWS lock the gate to prevent erosion and damage to the road it dosn't take much for the gates to close I would have a second camp site planned as back-up just in case (Polblue or Devels Hole are close with easy access)
2- Hardly any campers when we were there
3- Fire pits but fire bans may be in place have to bring own wood
Its a great spot it your into nature you'll love it
Enjoy your stay Kev
AnswerID: 400918

Reply By: Panthus - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:18

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:18
Thanks Christopher and Kev.

Sounds like it is exactly what we are looking for. Will have to look into the UHF though that you mentioned. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Fingers crossed the firebans subside with the rain we have had of late as i have a bag of wood from our last trip i'm itching to sit around and burn with a glass of sav blanc in hand. Just not the same with the butane stove....

I'd love to get up there for a day trip but i'm south of Sydney so it's a loooong trip for us. I'm sure we will work it out on arrival but will take the advise and find a back up camp ground just in case its raining and the tracks closed.

Thanks again for the advise. Greatly appreciated.
AnswerID: 400919

Sponsored Links