Grand Vitara Diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:55
ThreadID: 75534 Views:6967 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all

Has anybody had any experince with the new Suzuki Grand Vitara Diesel, running costs, any problems mech/suspension etc. A friend is interested in buying the new diesel, would like to fit new aftermarket shocks and springs, and possibly a t/bar and rino racks.

We noticed a few over the beach were travelling a little low to the ground with a load on. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:20

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:20
Can't help with the Diesel but my parents got the Petrol model last year 09 model and it goes great up the beach. They did a camping trip with us over at Straddie and clearance was rarely a problem. The only time they had a problem was when they had to cut across the dune access area where it was pretty steep...and the belly dragged a little.

Great little car
AnswerID: 401289

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:32
My Brother had an 09 model Diesel, was a fantastic car, went well at Stockton Beah, comfortable, nice to drive however, he lives in the heart of Sydney and does a lot of city driving which constantly caused the Diesel Particulate Filter to clog. Every week he had to take it for a run down a freeway at over 80kph for half an hour to clear the DPF. In a week sometimes it would get so clogged it would go into limp mode meaning he would have to take it for an even longer run to clear it.

If you arent in the city and do a lot of 80kph plus driving, go for ir. If your frind lives in a city and does a lot of stop start driving, i would think twice. Talk to the dealer, see what they say, the dealer my brother went to didnt say anything about this at time of purchase.
AnswerID: 401290

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:35
Thanks TonBon, that is invaluable advice. I've heard of other CRD's also having problems with the DPF (Navara is one that comes to mind!) - I wonder if it's a similar issue (people using them predominantly in city traffic? Will be worth keeping in mind as I continue the search for my next vehicle...
FollowupID: 670601

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:47

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:47
No problem. It was a real shame because he really loved the car otherwise. He traded it for the 2.4 petrol version which he really enjoys, not as much torque as the diesel though.

Yes the DPF's seem to be causing a problem with city bound diesels.
FollowupID: 670605

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:40
This bloke is no fan: Diesel Vitara

But like everything you read on the Internet, just because it's there doesn't make it so.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 401291

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:49
did you read through that whole thread, it wandered off into servicing costs, some vehicles requirement for specific OEM oils etc which cost megabucks per litre makes me very reluctant to buy anything late model.
I see too that the Suzuki diesel is made by Renault as is the Xtrail, run forrest Run!!
FollowupID: 670606

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:52

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:52
hi all

read in the west motoring section a couple of weekends ago that volkswagen are buying 19.5% share in suzuki motor company the deal is expected to be finalized by late feb /2010

and intend doing joint modifications to several suki models and it was mentioned that one of the first things vw will be doing to improve the suzuki vitara range is replacing the old tech vitara diesel motor with a high tech vw 2ltr diesel engine

so i reckon without suzuki publicly admitting it there's may well be a lemon engine cheers
FollowupID: 670607

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 14:05
Hi Peter,
I did read that thread up until about the halfway point. One of the faults of that forum and the strengths of this one is the direction topics take.

As I mentioned when I put the link up was "like everything you read on the Internet, just because it's there doesn't make it so"

Some of the information in there is very useful when it comes to the hidden costs of owning certain vehicles such as you mentioning the special oils and servicing regimes.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 670611

Follow Up By: Turbo Lux - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 15:35

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 15:35
Based on the above it may be wise to hold of buying a diesel Vitara untill there is a better track record with Suzuki and diesel?? There is nothing worse than buying a car and then the manufacturer bringing out a new and improved engine, would know doubt hurt resale value too.
FollowupID: 670625

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:31

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:31
So Peter, is the diesel in the X-Trail no good? Is Renault also the manufacturer/supplier of the ZD30 or was that Nissan's own invention?
FollowupID: 670701

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:12
We have had a Grand Virara diesel since April 08. I have found it more economical to drive at about 2000 revs in the city than go up a gear at lower revs. It appears it is the motor lugging that will block up the exhaust system.

Neil
AnswerID: 401341

Follow Up By: Rossco 09 - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 08:34

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 08:34
Yep, had an Astra Diesel that got the warning light on once for driving like an old fart. Picked up the revs around town and never had it again.
FollowupID: 670756

Sponsored Links