I can't believe it. I bought a Waeco!

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 19:49
ThreadID: 75576 Views:11149 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
That's right folks.

I am a satisfied owner of an Engel 40 litre fridge which has given me total reliability for some 8 years and still going strong. Then I go out and buy a Waeco???

OK, let's set things straight:-)

With my new dual cab ute, the fridge and big esky is separated from the cabin and therefore cannot be accessed when travelling. This annoyed SWMBO as she likes a little bourbon and coke now and again while we are travelling. But one needs to keep the cans cold yeah?

So I have just come back from BCF with a 13 litre Waeco Cool-Ice Icebox. Just the right size to hold a six pack of Jack Daniels plus a couple of cokes and water for the driver.

Was intending to get the 22 litre size but after viewing it decided on the more practical 13 litre size.

As for the insulating properties, I haven't even got it wet yet so that "review" will have to wait.

The Icebox is definitely superior to the plastic boxes you get from Woolies, etc., being made from UV stabilised, food grade polyethylene with "refrigeration grade" foam insulation.

I really don't expect a long life for the ice inside this tiny box, but as long as it keeps herself happy for the outward trip at least, we can "top up" from the bigger Evakool Icebox in the back. The ice in this lasts 5-7 days on average.

The things one must do hey!

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:04
Bill,

I have both as well LOL

The 60l Engel as the real fridge and a Wacko 15 tropical cooler that keeps the drinks cool on a trip.

Still want to get 2 x 32l engels for the camper/Darkie though LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401530

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:35

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:35
Hi ya Kev,

It's a never ended evolution, isn't it:-)

Bev actually bought and presented to me a 12 volt Repco Warmer/Cooler last year for Christmas but I've never used it as it draw's something like 4 amps and resembles something like a centre console with straps to hold it down on "something". You need to put something already cold in there with the assumption the cooler will keep it cold.

I looked at it and quietly put it in the garage where it has remained. I reckon it would hold about four cans.

The new Waeco Icebox will sit nicely on the back seat, or on the floor behind the front seats.

Bill.

Bill

FollowupID: 670881

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:44

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:44
Yep, they draws shed loads and Yes I throw an Ice brick in with the drinks as well hehehehe

Still don't trust it though

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 670883

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:34
I have just had issues with Waeco ice boxes, both have been returned for refund.
They struggled to keep ice for 24 hours, it was costing 2 bags per day.
AnswerID: 401537

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:38

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:38
Shaker,

Oh Bugger mate!
You shouldn't be telling me such things so soon. I've lashed out $59 for the new travelling tool.

Maybe I need to take another look at the Repco gizmo:-))

Bill

FollowupID: 670882

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 22:52

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 22:52
Sorry to do that, if you hold it up to the sun, looking through from the inside, you will be able to see if the foam core is right throughout the box, if you can see light patches, take it back.

FollowupID: 670889

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 05:26

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 05:26
Bill

It is a cool box, so it will keep drinks cool, but it will take all day to cool drinks down, only put cold drinks in it or you are going to be very disappointed.
Its not a fridge

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 401564

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:01

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:01
Hi Steve,

Yeah mate, just a cool box. That's all I was after.

No electrics to worry about, just shove in a bit of ice or an ice brick or two and some cold cans. Just enough to last a few hours:-)

The reason I chose it was the supposedly superior insulating properties when compared to the standard Willow, etc.

Bill.
Bill

FollowupID: 670900

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:15

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:15
Sorry mate didnt read it properly, thought it was a cool box, not an ice box, have fun.
Coming up to Berri gathering next weekend?

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 670924

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:40

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:40
We would have enjoyed the Berri gathering, but unfortunately prior commitments must take precedence this time.

We are booked on a 14 day cruise around New Zealand, leaving Monday.

Gotta keep the bride happy so I can do more 4WD trekking:-)

Bill.

Bill

FollowupID: 671073

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:16

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:16
If it doesn't work well enough Bill , then you can go to the post office and buy a small box made out of poly with walls about 35mm thick all round for $4.95.

Holds a few cans and some ice for 24 hours - they are used to send stuff through the mail like vaccines that have to be keep cold for a day or more.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401572

Sponsored Links