Hasteys Grave, Diemals Rd and Lake Barlee

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:03
ThreadID: 75583 Views:7062 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I went for a drive to get out of Perth for a couple of days. Most of my time was spent driving so could only visit a few places. I traveled lightly with only my swag, spare wheel, jack, plank, shovel, jerry of water and my tool box in the back and the rest chucked on the passenger side. I went up the track to the east of Lake Moore.

Merion Rock was just off the Paynes Find Sanstone Road up a track a few kilometres. It was a nice outcrop with many many goats hanging around and an emu too.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

It felt like it was 40 degrees on Tuesday - I couldn't decide whether to have the air con on with the windows down or up???

I wanted to visit Poison Rocks (Austin, 1854) but access was a challenge. There was an old over grown track coming from roughly south (is on natmaps) however I did not have enough time. Did not visit.

Austin's horse Hastey was in a poor state when he was shot dead. Austin called the Place Horse Camp, however on the maps, there is Hasteys Grave. So went and tried to go in. I had to drive parallel to a vermin proof fence for a few ks before going off-road for about 1500 metres. I came to an outcrop, there was dry rockpools, and a rockhole, also dry. Also a small rockhole covered partially by a rock.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

At Hasteys Grave, I did not find a grave. I didn't find anything actually except a few outcrops, with some rockpools. The country there was a mixture of sand/mulga and boulders/outcrops.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I went to Mount Magnet (also Austin) and got some fuel and a whole chook :)

Drove on back to Younami, then took the Diemals Road, which headed around the western side of Lake Barlee. I had never been on this road before. Most of it was recently graded. It had to be above 35 degrees. Approaching the far western arm of the lake I was tempted to go in and have a look at Retreat Rock but continued on. The road went straight over the arm of the lake and I'm glad there was no rain.

Nearing Diemals I stopped at a truck parked in the middle of the road and an old guy got out. I thought, "Oh here we go". He was the owner and he was looking for someone who nicked something and headed in my direction. No one had passed me that meant the person he was looking for was still on the property.

I've forgotten his name but I have never seen before such a fit old farmer, who covered in grease looked like he was at the tail end of a hard day. He must have been 80.

Now I head up the Mount Elvire Peninsular and stopped at the old homestead.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I wanted to get to the tip of the peninsular. I followed a track to the northeast. The where hills and the ground became rocky. I followed old tracks around the tip but the track never had sight of the lake at all.

Image Could Not Be Found

I followed the track right around and it came to an end. I had to go back the way I came. I stopped at a point close to the sandridge at the tip and started to walk to the north to reach the lake. This was the scene at the top of the dune... I felt like Burke and Willls, never actually reaching the destination :) (sshh, well no Victorians will be reading this thread surely).

Image Could Not Be Found

A bit disappointed I headed back to some hills near the north east. I climbed the 3rd or 4th one. I felt a bit like Forrest standing and observing all the high points.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I left the hill and then drove down a track which I presumed to lead to Mount Elvire which I could see in the distance. I drove this track in but turned back as I was truly unaware of my vehicles maximum tilt angle and didn't want to take any chances. I walked for a while but the heat got me, and I could see the cairn on top easily.

Then I headed south to Southern Cross for another feed and zig zagged across the wheatbelt north of the highway until I got home. I had hoped to do this trip in 48 hours, but I was late at 51. No punctures :)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:11

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:11
You can keep on going where you stopped on the elvire penninsual to the fence and follow that back to the main track in

i set up my swag out on the samphire at the tip of the penninsula hopping to see the sun rise and set over "water" but i didnt really get that effect

got to have another visit as my enjoyment was majorly curtailed firstly by breaking my glasses then it was so hot out there when it cooled over night the multi coating on my glasses crazd over as if they had been sandpapered
AnswerID: 401552

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:46

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:46
I certainly did try to find a continuation of the track however it eluded me; the track was pretty overgrown at that point, I don't think it sees a lot of traffic.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671032

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:05

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:05
with my glasses both broken and scuffed up like looking through a smashed windscreen maybe i just didnt notice the track had ended :) was nearly 5 years ago so my recollection is a bit hazy i have some recollection of continuing around more off track along firm samphire on the lakes edge before coming to the fencline which had a track along it and cutting back to the homestead
FollowupID: 671051

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:11

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:11
Hi Alan,
good ditty and pics mate. Well done..... I'm just a wee bit jealous too...lol...
I'm itching to get out and about. Have to choose my runs carefully with all the rain and boggy ground in the Top End.
all the best,
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401554

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:27

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:27
Great country out there, hit the place Sept last year.

Heat and flies were just beginning to be a nuisence, may look at another jaunt that way about July.

Just live for a bit of rain and a decent frost....lol.

The old MQ seems to be more at home on a slippery track.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 401555

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:22

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:22
Alan,

To old bloke you met is Tony Mc Pherson, and never refer to these people out there as farmers or cockies, they hate it. Ya call em Station Owners.
AnswerID: 401604

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:47

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:47
Sorry Rod, I meant no offense by my comments..

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671033

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:09

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:09
None taken Alan. I'm a "townie" as me brother who use to live/work on a station called me and all other city people. I used the term "you cockies" with him one day and he replied with some fowl language and saying "station" people don'tlike being called "cockies or farmers". Cheers
FollowupID: 671053

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 00:42

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 00:42
Thanks for that. I have nothing but admiration for guys like Tony. I can only wish that I will be as active as him when I get to that age..

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671070

Sponsored Links