Planning my First Outback Trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 23:51
ThreadID: 75751 Views:3366 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
HI I am a new member and we are planning to do our first trip to the center.
I picked up a old HJ80, high Ks but mechanically I cant fault it. After seeing some of the videos I thought the X-Trail would struggle towing a camper trailer on some of those tracks.

I have been a professional Rally Driver for over 30 years competing in some of the Safari Rallies that went through areas like Chocolate Ruffle Pass and the Fink River.
Trouble is you don't get to see much, other then the road, at the speed we were traveling at during competition. I also finished 2nd outright in the 1979 Repco Round Australia Rally.

I must thank many of the members for the information contained on this site. Great job guys and girls, it has given my wife and I the enthusiasm to go and do it now rather then when we are too old to enjoy the trip.

We plan to leave Newcastle first week in May and plan to be away 4 weeks. This trip is a toe in the water exercise for us, Alice, The Rock, Olga's, Mereenie Loop, The Macdonnell Ranges and home via the Plenty Highway and the Diamondtina Development Road. In all just over 7000km. Mostly good tracks not too adventurous for the first time.

I have just spent almost a week learning to use Oziexplorer mapping soft wear, great program but probably not necessary where we are going. Anyway hope the old Toyota makes it.

Cheers
Wayne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:08

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:08
G'Day Wayne
Sounds to me like a good trip.I would think given the time frame and kilometers you and your wife should have a great drive.Take your time and enjoy the trip.
Norm
AnswerID: 402559

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 07:00

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 07:00
Wayne,

Good stuff I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.
Even have time to stop and smell the daisy's. ;)
Have fun.
AnswerID: 402562

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:03

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:03
Good work, Wayne, about time you got to it. You may be interested in the Transport Museum in Alice. You could use the Oodnadartta road on your way to Alice...more interesting than the Stuart Hwy. We will be in NW Qld at that time
so paths may cross. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 402567

Reply By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:04

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:04
G’day Wayne,
Sounds like a good itinerary for your first trip. The route won’t be too hard on your vehicle. The dust may be a bit of a surprise for your trailer so just try and make it as dust proof as possible.
You’ll love it.
Myles.
AnswerID: 402568

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:31
Wayne B.... now that name rings a bell, is that you ya old bugga? Still driving eh?

We did your planned trip last May but via the Simpson. Was great. You'll enjoy it.
Might even see some scenery this time LOL.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402571

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 22:37

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 22:37
Thanks guys for your well wishes. We are looking forward to the trip

Allan B. Yep that could be me I am an old bugger. Trying to place you Allen B .??????

Anyway thanks guys
Cheers
Wayne Bell
FollowupID: 672215

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:52

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:52
Visit Diamantina National Park if you can...well worth the visit!

Enjoy
AnswerID: 402575

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 13:42

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 13:42
G'day Landy, we will be in that vicinity later in May & wondered if you could offer
any advice re access, camp spots etc. Thanks...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 672096

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 18:08

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 18:08
Yep, I recommend Diamantina National Park. Met a bloke recently on a trip ex ExplorOz…. Said he was a founding member and was extremely disappointed in the park…. Said the facilities were atrocious…. And they are. But the natural beauty and the fishing way outweight the poor facilities… or lack thereof.
Myles.
FollowupID: 672146

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:37

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:37
Hi OldBaz

We entered the park from Windorah, along the Bedourie road and up through
Palparra Station; the route is clear on most maps.

We camped on the Western edge of the park at Gumhole Waterhole, a very pleasant spot; however there are other options for camping. Best you have a look at the park on the Qld National Park website for further camping details.

During our stay we took the opportunity to do the 157 kilometre Warracoota self-guided circuit drive, which takes you past sand dunes, floodplains, claypans, gibber plains and grasslands. The Warracoota Waterholei s quite large, and after the rains can be quite deep.

In the northern sections of the park there are the ruins of the Mayne Hotel, an oasis that provided refreshments and lodgings for the many travellers to the region.

We will be out there in late June/July on our way to the Gulf. We last visted in 2004 and I did a story on our whole trip entitled Outback Queensland and Gulf Savannah. There is a bit of a wrap up of our experience of the Diamantina Park in that story. Have a read if you get a chance; link follows.

Outback Queensland & Gulf Savannah

To the South is Astrabella National Park, which is closed to the public, and supposedly a habitat of the Bilby.

Enjoy your travels and let me know how your trip goes…..

Cheers
The Landy
FollowupID: 672191

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 11:22

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 11:22
Great Blog Landy, have just printed it off & will study intently. Thank you.
cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 672291

Sponsored Links