Making Your Itinerary Feedback

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 15:34
ThreadID: 75950 Views:2915 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I want to make up an Itinerary for our trip starting 25th April, 2010 travelling with caravan from Tweed Heads via Warwick,
Moree, Lightning Ridge, Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy, Uluru, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, Katherine, then West to Broome and down to Albany. We then want to travel back via The Great Ocean Road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:22

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:22
Mareelaar, That all looks good, no problems there. What is your question? How long do you plan to be on the road? Have a look at some of the blogs and treks (blue buttons above your post) for heaps of info.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403781

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:24

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:24
Gday
Enjoy every moment
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403782

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:38

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:38
Hi mareelaar

The best itinerary you can have is to head in a general direction and be prepared to be responsive to change. Unless there are places you absolutely have to book well in advance (our only one like that was Spirit of Tasmania), it is more enjoyable to stay a while if you like the place and move on if you don't. Also once you get moving, others on the road, or locals will tell you of hidden gems not in the tourist brochures, and these are often the best places. If you have a set time frame, turn around approximately half way through and take a different route back home.

As an example, 2008 we had up to four months before we needed to be home. The plan was to see the Kimberley (principally the Gibb River Road) for which we had no idea how long it would take us. We thought if there was time after that, we'd like to go to Kings Canyon, Uluru and Kata Tjuta. We had time after nine weeks in the Kimberley, heading to Alice Springs via the Tanami (the north of NT would have to wait), spent a little time touring to the south of Alice then headed west from there, just within our deadline. Hence last year we went a different way (via Gary Junction) direct to Alice so we could pick up where we left off, tour north of Alice and see places like Katherine, Kakadu, Litchfield and Darwin. With still enough time to see the 'fossil country' in Qld (another place high on our wish list), we came home via Qld and central NSW, as we had a later deadline allowing us more time away.

You don't mention a time frame. What you are suggesting is quite a big lap, and needs many months to do it justice.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403783

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:38

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:38
Congatulations - you've made one! So what's the point of your post?
AnswerID: 403914

Sponsored Links