ThreadID: 75982 Views:2815 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
What do people think of this itinerary -

Day 1 Lake Grace - Belladonia (556km)
Day 2 Belladonia - Ceduna (985km)
Day 3 Ceduna - Broken Hill (882km)
Day 4 Broken Hill - Tamworth (1031km)
Day 5 Tamworth - Brisbane (588km)

There will be two drivers and planning to be on the road at first light. Dont want to drive in the dark due to roos etc. I know it doesnt allow much time for stopping and looking around but this trip is more about getting there than sightseeing.

Also can anyone recommend accomodation options at Belladonia, Ceduna and Broken Hill with a dog? Would prefer a cabin/room. Any thoughts appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 23:29

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 23:29
You can do it Aussielass. We did Bridgetown to Bundaberg in 4 days to pick up our van. They were very long days. Our first stop was Balladonia, a bit early as it was raining heavily. We had to pay for an expensive little motel room as it was to wet to camp out. The Roadhouse has motel rooms (we got the only free one), a backpacker sort of accommodation which we didn't see, and camping area. They also have a restaurant. None of it cheap! We didn't have dog. Leaving at dawn, we stopped at the motel at Minippa as it was still trying to rain. Our next two stops were Cobar (cabin) and Dalby (old caravan at CP with broken down bed as it was cotton picking season and everything was full). Got to Bundy 11 am next morning.

We got up before dawn, and left at first light (like you, will not drive in those areas in the dark), and drove all day (i made lunch on a tray on my lap without stopping). As soon as it got dark we stopped, finding a cabin or motel, whatever was there.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403981

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 00:15

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 00:15
Yes you can do it easy with 2 drivers. Like motherhen we drove to over to pick up our van. We like to get to Eucla the first day while still a bit fresh.Then Peterborough
Broken Hill,Moree and Brisbane. With that schedule you can stop a bit and have a look around.
AnswerID: 403989

Reply By: Member - Humff(TAS) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 07:07

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 07:07
Wow .....over 1000k in one day.....down here ....in tassy....300ks is a big day and thats with 3 to 4 smokos along the way....you mainlanders do it because you can. us Tasmanianians dont because we will get wet!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 403996

Reply By: Wilko - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:56

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:56
Hi Aussielass,

Yup can be done Interstate truckies do more, As long as your used to long days you should be fine.

Have fun.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 404017

Reply By: John and Lynne - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:46

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:46
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to fly? Just a thought! If Brisbane is your destination you can get a reasonable basic hire car if you avoid the high price airport based companies! Your dog may prefer flying too!
Otherwise however you do it the trip will be arduous! Is your dog OK for such a trip? Ours is a seasoned traveller but still needs a break every couple of hours and some decent exercise each morning. A dehydrated or carsick dog is not a good sight!
Cabin style accommodation with a dog in those places mentioned so far is problematic. Generally caravan parks will not allow dogs in or around cabins. They use health regulations as their excuse. If you have a tent or caravan it is fairly easy to find a place that will take dogs along your route.
There are a couple of 'Travelling with Dogs' accommodation guides available through appropriate camping and motoring shops but most of them seem to offer fairly expensive accommodation and not in the places you are considering. Try contacting local tourist info offices in those towns to get some up to date possibilities.
Good luck Lynne
AnswerID: 404027

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:38

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:38
Hi. Only two comments:
in my case, its not so much a long day as the cumulative effect of five long days. My back wouldn't let me do what you are contemplating!.
I agree with John and Lynne that the dog will be in for a rough time unless you stop every couple of hours, and then what happens to your targets? Our dog vacuums every roadside site for indescribable scraps, but what else can you do?
But as long as there's a plan B in the event of a problem on the way, I hope you'll do fine.
But you wouldn't catch me trying to do what you plan.
FollowupID: 673687

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:07

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:07
Do you really need to go through Tamworth? Coming up through Bourke, Walgett, Moree and Goondiwindi is generally recognised as the quicker option, a lot flatter country for sure which should save a few litres if you don't have to go to Tamworth.

With two compitent experienced drivers I can't see a problem with the distances but I do a lot of that kind of driving for a living so I would think like that hehehe. I know someone going two up who leaves Bris every Fri night and is in Perth Sunday, unloading for deliveries Monday.....makes your itinerary look like a walk in the park but make no mistake it will be no walk in the park, you will feel every one of the last 1500km or so.

Travel safe and plan for an extra day or so if needed, you don't know what lay ahead.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 404040

Reply By: justmyage - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 19:33

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 19:33
Hi AussieLass , just doing the opposite way . Balladonia have a c/park with cabins at the roadhouse . not sure of price as we had van was $20 pn.
Ceduna Park on the beach cabins . Nice park walk to town.
Broken hill lake C/p allow dogs.
Thats as far as we went then we headed for the cost . Hope this helps .watch for the breatherliser on the Nullabor..
Cheers Lesley
AnswerID: 404078

Reply By: Aussielass - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 20:40

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 20:40
Thanks for your thoughts.

In answer to the dog questions, i regularly drive 4.5 hours without a break and he has no problem with this, he just sleeps the whole way! I guess because i brought him up with long drives..

I actually plan to spend 2 nights in Tamworth so i have a spare day if anything goes wrong and if not just as a break from driving.

What are the roads like in NSW? I am used to WA roads - straight and quiet...is it quite built up nearer Tamworth?
AnswerID: 404087

Follow Up By: Member - Morry H (WA) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 20:57

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 20:57
Aussielass
hi in regards to the roads east of eucla its a different world so be wide eyed and bushy tail and you will learn dog will love a break every 2 hours even if you dont safe travels
morry
FollowupID: 673753

Sponsored Links