Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 760 Views:1604 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to Fraser in a few weeks and would like to know what facilities are on the island in the way of food. I have heard there is pubs/resturants and convenience stores. Is this true and is there a limited variety or is there well equiped shops?
Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: prol - Thursday, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:00
They have everything, its expensive but they have it. There is even a township with a small bitumen road.

Not a lot of choice, from memory only a handful of stores (and a couple resorts shops welcome campers) - but they have everything. They are even getting a police station this year.
AnswerID: 2107

Reply By: ND - Thursday, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:00

Tim, I was at FI last October for a 10 day stay. I got most of my information on this site - you may like to do a search if you need any other info. I got a heap of replies that were really, really helpful and made a huge difference to our stay. At Eurong village (the place with the bitumen road) there is a large general store with most items that you would need. There is also a bakery there and a take away shop with BBQ chickens etc. All items are fairly expensive to what you may be used to paying so it may be best to only buy what you can't take there yourself. At the Kingfisher resort there is a restaurant but I can't offer you a personal opinion as we didn't go there. Kingfisher has its own website if you want to look at what it has to offer. Have a safe enjoyable trip.
AnswerID: 2108

Reply By: Mark - Thursday, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:00

Fill up the tank before you get there! About 18 months ago I paid $1.20 per litre of unleaded, and you use extra driving on the sand.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 2114

Reply By: Kim - Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00
HI,
We were there in April last year and found that they do have everything but it is really expensive. Petrol was over $1 a litre and food was at least double and obviously not alot of variety. We actually took everything with us however on the first day dingoes broke into our tents and took the lid off our esky (with snap up sides locked) and took everything we had. Even our margarine!! We had to rely on the shops and didnt find it to bad but a big hole in our pockets. Make sure you visit the western coast - Platypus Bay it is gorgeous. Have fun
AnswerID: 2116

Reply By: Graham - Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00
Tim,
Best to take the bulk of your food with you and rely on the shops for things like bread and fresh milk but you will pay. Shops at Eurong 38 km from southern tip, Happy Valley 54 km from southern tip, Orchid beach 100 km from southern tip and Kingfisher bay on the west coast. We were over there on Oz day long weekend and fuel was $1.25/litre at Happy Valley. To give you an idea of mileage, over the 4 days we were there we travelled approx 450 km this included getting on at Inskip Pt. at the southern tip, we maneged to get up to Sandy Cape lighthouse, definately worth a look as beach north of Orchid beach will be closed in Sept.02.Waddy point has a nice campground, remember to take .50c pieces for the showers. If you are going via Inskip use the green Manta Ray barge he charges $40 flat as opposed to Elmer's barge charging $30 but due to the competition that the Manta Ray has created has made Elmers drop their prices from $82+trailer+passengers pre Manta Ray.
Remember, there are fines now in place for feeding dingoes (up to $1500) but I must say that we have travelled to Fraser numerous times over the years and we notice the distinct lack of Dingoes now (saw 2 in 4 days) one thinks they have culled more than 30 as officially reported.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 2131

Sponsored Links