ICOM IC 400 UHF

Hi all,
I have just completed fitting a Icom-400 uhf cb into my Patrol.The owners manual is a little hard to follow.Can anyone who has one please let me know any easy operating tips and how you like your radio.Thanks in advance.
Dennis.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:50

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:50
I have one - quite happy with it's performance - agreed re the manual - the instructions in there assume a lot of UHF technical experience on the part of the owner IMV - some issues were quite baffling to me too for awhile. Re tips - might be better to ask about the actual functions / modes you actually want to employ - then people can respond on those specifics. I use selcall, CTCSS and the scans: group, open and repeater.
AnswerID: 404215

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis F (WA) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:47

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:47
Thanks Darian,
I am having trouble getting it to scan the channels.By pressing the scan button it does not want to scan like other Cbs.I have set it on open scan but it does not want to scan.I know i am doing something wrong so i will keep reading the book.
FollowupID: 673914

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:34

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:34
As mentioned below, you have to have the mike clip earthed and the mike IN the clip, for it the radio to scan (if you leave the factory configs as is).
Agreed also that it is like programming a $#@%^& computer at times - the radio is probably designed for the commercial sector - it can be quickly upgraded to run on 25W and with a whole lot more channels... is probably over-sophisticated for the basic user. I was attracted to it mainly by the repeater scan feature.
FollowupID: 673975

Reply By: rescue134 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:58

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:58
hi Denis
do you have the mike earth (needed for scanning) go to the channels one by one push and hold the scan button to set scan channels.scan on /off.
AnswerID: 404226

Reply By: SteveL - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:10

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:10
There was a thread about 400pro scanning issues see here:
Previous Thread
AnswerID: 404230

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:23

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:23
Dennis

I have one of those purchased August 2009 and I keep the manual in the glovebox (never did that with Uniden or GME). Sometimes I accidentally press something and muck up the setup I have and have to fix it.

Re Open or group scans I found all the channels in either group had to be individually selected and added to the group. A bit tedious. There may be a quicker way but I have not found it. I would suggest starting with setting up a group scan of a few channels as per page 12 first. Then when you have that worked out complete setting up group scan then change to open scan and use what you have learnt to set that up.

The manual is a pain. The features you want are well into the manual and they have some rather baffling stuff before that to do with settings that will probably never be changed and can really be skipped. If your manual is like mine the info you need will be on pages 11 to 13, Skip the very confusing pages 9 and 10 to do with scanning preparation. The defaults are good enough to get you going.

I like the Icom. It is a better unit than the GME (run for cover, get flamed and burnt) but it is a lot more difficult to learn. Very steep learning curve with the Icom.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 404234

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:40

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:40
Flynnie
That's a great call....brilliant radio.. crap to setup !
I also keep a copy of the simplified version in behind the seat, in the pocket..

Ah yes.. those days of the UNiden 013 are long gone..

Cheres
Bucky

FollowupID: 674193

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:23

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:23
I have one, and find it's a P.I.A. for simplicity compared to the GME that I now have in the wifes FG XR6.
AnswerID: 404244

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 23:27

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 23:27
I have had mine for about 4 or 5 years now, the quality to listeners is as good as GME units,
Just one thing ..............if you fiddle around with the settings you could make your set transmit a pulse about 30 seconds, you won't hear it, but it'll annoy the C r out of others, the only way you will know it's doing it is a little icon will flash on the top left side , and you'll need the manual to stop it, if you dont have a manual download one fron the website.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404255

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 23:35

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 23:35
OK so it's every 60 seconds.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673933

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:53

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:53
Thanks Doug

I often wondered what the symbol meant (didn't refer to the manual to find out as it didn't seem important)

No one has complained over the years so maybe it's not working in any case??

Cheers,

Adrian
FollowupID: 674091

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 15:03

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 15:03
Adrian
Even if it was transmitting a pulse every 60 seconds no one is going to know where it comes from, it was only when I was travelling with a group of trucks and other pilots that someone commented on the short burst of static every so often and I wasn't hearing it, so some trials and tests were done as we rolled along , got someone to say when it happened , I still didn't hear ir so I offered to turn my radio off for a few minutes , when I went back on air they all said the noise stopped, it was then I noticed the icon flash and someone else would confirm they heard the static, so I began pushing buttons and changing settings until I got it stopped, I had no idea at that stage what I did, anyhow all was happy for the rest of the journey.
So yes it can be annoying to others .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674111

Reply By: jezza68 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:03

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:03
I ao have the ICOM and I depress the scan button for a couple of seconds and it starts to scan.

And I agree it is bloody complicated to use.
AnswerID: 404258

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:32

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:32
Dennis
The 400 Pro will drive you nuts..in the early stages, as it did to me.

I did send you a message about the simplified version... That helps heaps.

It will help you to realise that you really only have to operate it in Priority mode, as you tell the radio which chanels you want anyway, ( your own priority)

The bars and their combination position on the bottom of the screen will tell you what mode you are in..

Yhere is also a Yahoo user's group, which are helpfull

Icom 400 Pro User's group

Not that I use it much, but it's there anyway

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 404511

Sponsored Links