Sports Seat Bolstering for 4WD

Hi guys
Anyone have any direct experience with the use of sports style bolstering in the base of a seat for 4wding? It's for a GU Patrol with a modest 2" lift. I understand it 'could' be a little painful having to clamber over the bolstering to get in and out and that would be a high wear area. Is being locked into a supported position, particularly in the base, such a bad thing for offroading? Most of our travels focuses on touring rather than rock hoppping, but we still like to visit the high country from time to time. Would apppreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:38

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:38
I have an old 60 series with thos orrible original seats. We improved them a lot by using sheepskin covers and putting one of the formed seat/backrests that you can get from Supacheap, under the sheepskin. This gave enough side bolstering to be quite useful without the extreme bolsters of sports seats and we find it to be pretty good (also used some upholstery foam underthe seat/backrest)
AnswerID: 404738

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:00

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:00
Mike, Hi, have a set of Aerotech seats, they had high bolsters on both sides, was a real pain to get in and out. What I did was took them to an auto upholsterer and had him lower and bend out the outer bolster on both seats, repadded and reupholstered . Great job and soooooooooooooooo much easier to get in and out, especially when touring. Soooooooo much more comfortable too. Pity they are no longer made. I have had them in an MQ, GQ and two GU's. Just starting to show signs of a bit of wear. Not too bad for about 15 years. If you would like to have a look, I am in the outer South East of Melbourne.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 404767

Sponsored Links