quick set up tent

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:57
ThreadID: 76172 Views:6934 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Looking to buy a new tent and have been looking at the turbo range and the oztent range all around $1000 but.
Started looking at a tourer tent made by outdoor connection about half the price and was wondering if anyone had one of these tents or any advice on which way we should go.
We are doing a 12mth caravan trip around oz with 2 kids and are going to store caravan while doing the cape and other destinations in the tent.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:03

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:03
Dale,
I reckon you should broaden your question a bit.

Quick to set up and quick pack up :)

I have a blackwolf compact and it is quick to set up and easy.

A pain to pack up - but that is me :)

One thing to consider is the size as well - if you want to keep it in the van the black wolfs one are bulky.

I have not answered your question sorry - I have the same issue.

My criteria is
Easy to set up and packup
Small and light
Fit two people
Lots of vents

Good luck,

Richard
AnswerID: 405009

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51
Hi Richard, re the BW Turbo pack-up.

I agree that it was a pain; until I looked at their website 'how to'.

Packing up is now a whole lot easier. Great tent.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 674740

Follow Up By: CJ - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:35
Richard

Agree with JB

Packu is easey and with room spare in the bag if you follow their simple procedure/method - worth having a look

CJ

FollowupID: 674742

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:54

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:54
Gidday

Maybe it is a bloke thing ... we got much better at packing up the Black Wolf Turbo 240 when i put my camping partner in charge. Unlike me she doesn't rush at it and the end result is that it fits in the bag just fine very time

Cheers

Rocco
FollowupID: 674751

Follow Up By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:15

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:15
Roco,
I will try that way one day :)

I am sure it will get easier with practice.

But as a tent to carry along in the van I reckon they (BW) are still a bit bulky.

Richard
FollowupID: 674764

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:54

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:54
I have the BW Turbo 300 (?). Yes it is a little bulky, but sits nicely behind the drivers/passengers seat on the floor. My kids still have short legs, so it doesn't bother them. When they start to complain, I'll have to rethink things though. Probably will then go on the roof.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 674841

Reply By: cliffy46 - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:26

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:26
hi dale, we have traveled all of Aussie on many a trip living out of a oz tent, it was so easy to put up, the only down side when packed its about 2m long, so need a roof rack to store, we have just brought a black wolf 300 which we took to the cape, it would take about a xtra 2 to 3 min to put up but is bigger inside and can be stored in the car, it does take a bit to pack up at the start but by the end of our trip was very easy and quick to pack. there is only 2 of us but with all the gear the black wolf would be way to go. mark
AnswerID: 405018

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:52

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:52
Hi Dave
We have had many and varied tents over the years. We now use and can highly recommend the Oztent. We have the RV4 and it is great. It is as quick to erect as they say and have some great accessories available.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405036

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:47

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:47
I travel mostly by myself and I have a oz trail tourer 9 tent and I have done many trips with it now and its very simple to put up and pull down, very few poles so stowage is good.

Advantages, Easy to put up and pull down by one person - plenty of windows with good screens, - good head room - plenty of internal room - good canvas I believe is 16oz (don't quote me on that), cost was about $300, probably a few others I cannot think of at the moment.

Disadvantages, fixed top section which is about 800 x 800, this was not an issue for me as I have a ute so just tossed it in the back.

I have had mine for some 3 years now and has been great, at most of my stops I only put in 6 pegs with the exception of longer than overnight stays and Birdsville where the wind tried to sand blast everything I owned. The tent stood up very well.

With 4 people I would consider this option, Find a camping store / BCF that has one and go get inside it I got mine at BCF at the time

I may even have some photos if interested but it can be viewed on the oz trail web site.

Thanks
Brian
AnswerID: 405046

Reply By: Member - David C1 (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:56

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:56
Hi Dale & Sharyn, we have a freedom tent ( northern tourer ) . Its a great tent and is very simple to erect. It packs up flat about 1m x 1m and roughly 6 inches high. One thing to look for is quality zips as they tend to cop a floggin. Good luck and have a great time.
AnswerID: 405052

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:54

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:54
Have you guys looked at Black Stump tents;

http://www.instanttents.com/kontakt_01.htm

They may not be for everyone but are worth checking out and they are oh so quick to erect like 10 - 15 seconds.

I use a mosquito dome when swagging.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405064

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:05

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:05
I too have an Oztent.
So easy to erect and just as easy to pack up.

As far as storage and transport is concerned, I don't believe the need to carry the Oztent on a roof rack is any disadvantage at all.

I don't believe anyone can carry all necessay camping gear inside a vehicle anyway.

We place the Oztent on the side of the roof rack basket and place the swags, two collapsible chairs and table, perhaps the gas stove and cylinder in the basket, covered by a canvas rack bag.

The inside of the canopy is still full of other gear including the battery packs, fridge, sometimes an icebox, grocery containers clothing bags and other incidental equipment.

There are just the two of us, but there is no way we could do without the roof rack and basket so putting the Oztent up top is no problem at all.

By the way, even though the Oztent truly takes only half a minute to erect, we usually add the side panels as well. These don't take that long but give extra protection from wind and rain.

We used ours over the Christmas period and I have another accessory to add.
Even with the peak side panels we found early morning (or late afternoon) sun intruding on the inside of the annex area and wish to add a front panel to eliminate this problem.

One of the big advantages of the Oztent is the ability to add additional accessories which are all quality components.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405072

Follow Up By: Atta Boy Luther - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 21:13

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 21:13
My thoughts exactly . My oztent sits up beside the roof basket leaving inside the troopy for other gear . Usually i just use the RV4 by itself but i can setup the side panels if staying longer . Its the modular ability that is whats great . FYI i bought the foxwing awning and now i open this up and set the RV4 up just islightly under the foxwing and dont even have to put the RV4 awning up . Its awesome hey .
FollowupID: 674800

Reply By: Member - Dale & Sharyn H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:00

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:00
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice, greatly appreciated. Heading out this morning to start looking at the different tents.

Cheers,

Dale and Sharyn
AnswerID: 405162

Reply By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:37

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:37
I have a Black Wolf turbo, which I bought for its ease of putting up- I really struggled to put up a canvas touring tent by myself! Packing it away is easy enough- I find the key is not to rush it and I've never had a problem putting it back in the bag.

Other than ease of assembly, one thing I have found superior with the Black Wolf compared to the canvas touring tent (which had 2 side poles) is that it is much better in storms and in the wind. The touring tent would flap like crazy and keep me up all night, whereas the Black Wolf has the advantage of having the frame on all four corners, which keeps things much quieter.

Good luck with your decision- I think it's a good idea to go and look at as many tents as you can!
AnswerID: 405181

Sponsored Links