vaccum sealed food

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 21:58
ThreadID: 76191 Views:4930 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone using this product?

http://www.zipvac.com.au

what's peoples thoughts, are they a handy item for us to take on our big trip, or should we just rely on the butcher, as many have said on the forum, most good butcher shops will do it for you!

Evan

P.S we're all booked in @ Gunbarrel Laarger! roll on June!

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:05

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:05
Hi Evan,
Have used a home cryovac machine before, brought for our Simpson desert trip,
we found it extremely good for what we used it for.
We prepared a few cooked meals before we left and froze them for a couple of days before we left.
We then selected the meal we wanted for the evening before we packed up in the morning, let it defrost during the day then it was a case of opening the package popping the meal into the pot.
Usually cooked up some rice or veggies in a separate pot.
We even cryovaced separate slices of pizza from our local pizza shop and my daughter enjoyed pizza in the middle of the desert.
One tip if you go done that track is freeze the food in a container that will fit into the size bag you are using then freeze the food then cryovac it.
We voted the cryovac machine one of the best bits of gear we brought for the trip.
Hope that is even slightly that you were asking about and was usefull.
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405116

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:08

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:08
Why not just freeze it in the bag? We do.

FollowupID: 674823

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:18

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:18
Hi Shaker,
we did a lot of stews and curries and we found that if we didnt freeze them first when we went to cryovac them a lot of the liquid went into the machine.
Also we could freeze them into a managable shape which made them easier to stack or place in the fridge to utilize all the space in the fridge.
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 674824

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:29

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:29
Thanks, amazing the fridge space they save!
FollowupID: 674827

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:37

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:37
Aren't they used for storing woollen jumpers over the summer? :)

Andrew
AnswerID: 405123

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:54

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 23:54
Hi Evan

A lot cheaper than the proper vacuum sealers such as Sunbeam, and even cheaper than the Deals Direct type alternatives. At the price it may be worth a try if you want cryovaced food.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 405125

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 09:18

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 09:18
Hi Motherhen

What is the difference between vacuum packed and cryovaced?

Phil
FollowupID: 674868

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:05

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:05
Hi Phil - Not a lot. Cryovac is a trade name, now used generically to cover vacuum packing, a but like Biro is now used for any other brand of ball point pen.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674900

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 00:48

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 00:48
Hi Evren1

We use a home vacuum sealer, like William. Butchers are good, but hard to get them to cryovac pizza!

We also seal pre cut vegies, like pumpkin, sweet potato etc, kept them fresh, then just open, heat and serve. Also gets rid of the problem of them getting wet in the fridge, and going off. Saves a lot of space and time when you are away.

One other thing we tried was vacuum sealing sliced bread, in packs of 2 or 4, for toast in the mornings... NOT a good idea...lol

Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 405133

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:08

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:08
heheheh - re the bread experiment - yep I trid it too - amazing how small a fully vaccumed slice of bread goes :-)

I have since learnt to freeze the slices 1st THEN vac
FollowupID: 675158

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:23

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:23
Good thinking, Kiwi

When we tried it, we actually put 2 slices together, one on top of the other, ended up a squashed mess...lol. Couldn't seperate them at camp either.

Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 675195

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:58

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:58
Dave

What sort of life do you get out of the veggies when you cryovac them?

Alan
FollowupID: 675220

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:36

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:36
Hi Alan

We have only been away for a little over a week at a time, but the vegies show no sign of going off during that period. Last time we were away was for 8 days. A bit hard to tell how long they might last though.

We also only use a 'no name' brand machine off ebay, no problem with it to date (12 months old, I think)

Hope this helps, Dave

FollowupID: 675227

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 09:03

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 09:03
We also vacuum seal some food before a longish trip.
I bought the Deals Direct jobbie and it has performed faultlessly for 3 years now.
Cost was around the $80 mark from memory, which is much cheaper than the brand name ones and does just as good a job.

We simply seal enough perishable food for our entire trip and leave the sealer at home.

Not sure on the effectiveness of the ZipVac though.
The more common sealers use larger bags or rolls to vaccum then seal the bags entirely. You cut the bag to open and never reuse them.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 405152

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:07

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:07
Hi Bill

When you say you seal enough for an entire trip, how long would the trip be?

Most of the trips away we do are 1 or 2 weeks which when sealed fits nicely in the fridge.

The reason I ask the question is that we will be doing a 6 week trip in a few weeks time so clearly wont be carrying all our food for the whole trip. We will need to restock along the way. So just wondering if others take their vac sealer with them or is there enough butchers out there that will do it?

I leaning toward taking it, but as a family of 4 space is at a premium.

Geoff
FollowupID: 674983

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:46

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:46
We purchased one of the Sunbeam ones a couple of weeks ago to try out when we went to Fraser for a week. I guess for a trip of only a week you don't need to worry so much for the quality/freshness but I was more interested in the space saving you get. We loaded up the fridge with everything in before we did the vacuum and it was just about full....when then sealed up each nights meal in a bag and restocked the fridge and we managed to free up nearly halve the fridge simply by removing the packaging the meat comes in.

AnswerID: 405347

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:20

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:20
Evan

Be carefull with re-useable sealing bags.. if they let you down, it will not be close to a town, it will be out in the middle of no where..

Cryovac for us
Last year SWMBO did 80 meals, vacuum sealed them, with our "el cheapo", cryovac sealer from ALDI..... apart from a few paid for Barra Burgers, and the odd eat out night

3 months travel in the outback, and never once had a problem with quality,,

Topped up with snags in Kununurra, and the Butcher did cryovac them, at no extra charge..

Either way a good vacuum and seal will guarantee that quality will last..
Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 405436

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:36

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:36
Evan, Not familiar with the specific product you have mentioned, but we are big users of 'vac packing'.

For the first few years, we just got butchers to cryovac - if they didn't offer the service, we just went elsewhere. We have kept beef (whole, no bones) for 8 weeks in the fridge with no problems. Chicken much less, mince, meat with bones a bit less.

About three years ago we bought a cheap EBay vac packer. We don't expect the meat to last as long as the 'commercial' packaging, but we would not be without our machine now.

I now do good portion control prior to packing. We can do vegies, fruit, cooked stuff etc. Most of our meat is now vac packed and frozen using our little machine. It lasts much longer and better than ordinary freezer bags. When defrosted, there is no leakage in the fridge.

We carry the machine and bags on our travels (now full time). We do a lot of fishing and I vac pac fish we plan to keep before freezing. We are currently in Tas, eating NT barra caught last winter - almost as good as fresh. Also, I can now keep bait in the freezer with our food. Vac packing means no odours.

Have not answered re your specific question, but hope I have helped with the principle involved.

Norm C

AnswerID: 405438

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:44

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 18:44
thanks all for the replies.

have decided to go with the disposible type bags . Sounds like a winner for space saving too!

cheers,

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 405439

Sponsored Links