Camping Near Darwin

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 22:45
ThreadID: 76307 Views:6540 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

Son & his wife are thinking of taking their two small daughters camping over Easter. This will be the first time the girls have camped out so they're looking for a spot not too far from Darwin and with facilities so the little ones will be happy. Even a caravan park would suffice.

Ignoring the obvious of Litchfield which will probably be very crowded and possibly Douglas Hot Springs which may be just a bit too far has anyone any suggestions? Any help would be most appreciated.

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top Ender - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 22:52

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 22:52
Most years Gunlom ( water fall creek aka UDP falls) in Kakadu is open. It's only 300 kms with hot and cold showers and a managed camp ground.

Have fun
AnswerID: 405830

Reply By: Troppo Tom (Virginia, N.T.) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:16

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:16
Lakes Resort?

Cut and paste from their Website follows:

No affiliation!!! :-(

Northern Territory style welcome awaits you here at The Lakes. Set on 960 acres of peaceful rural property with a variety of accommodation and activities to suit all budgets, we're confident you'll find all you need for your holiday, or fantastic day out, right here in Darwin at The Lakes Resort Caravan Park.

Conveniently Located

The Lakes Caravan Park is situated in Berry Springs, close to Darwin (56kms), the City of Palmerston (30kms) and is central to the whole range of Outer Darwin attractions. There's plenty of open space to enjoy the peaceful natural beauty, abundant bird life, bushwalking and the noises of night-time in the Bush. The Territory Wildlife Park and the swimming holes of Berry Springs Nature Park are within walking distance and you can comfortably explore Litchfield Park (60kms) and many other Top End attractions from The Lakes.

A Variety of Darwin Accommodation to suit all needs

With grassed shady camping and caravan areas, drive in / drive out caravan sites as well as comfortable air-conditioned cabins, there's accommodation for everyone. As a resort style caravan park we have all the facilities you've come to expect and more: a large fully-tiled ablution block, free electric BBQ's in the camp kitchen, a laundry area, licensed bistro as well as a public telephone and internet access. Your small dogs on leads are welcome here too! For details of packages and weekly rates see the tariffs page.

Wind Up and then Wind Down!

The more energetic can try water-skiing, knee/wakeboarding or Jet skiing on Lake Barden. Zip down the 30m waterslide, go fishing, relax in the rock pool or take out a paddleboat or canoe. Wind up your days with a well-earned meal and drink in our licensed tropical style bistro. The choice is yours!
AnswerID: 405847

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 08:24

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 08:24
Have to agree with lakes resort at berry springs.

We went there with our kids on a few occasions and the loved the big slide. Very relaxing and close to town. With a pool and the weather still being hot it is the ideal location.

There are some attractions not far away if you want to drive - ie the berry springs themselves.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675558

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:38

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:38
Grab a map of Darwin and surrounds and point them at all the camping spots in Litchfield National Park. Just under 100 Kms south of darwin off the Sturt Highway.

I suggest you get/use Hema - Darwin Region.

Lots of details of the Litchfield are on the internet via Google etc.

Phil
AnswerID: 405923

Follow Up By: Top Ender - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 17:09

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 17:09
You would spend Easter in Litchfield for what reason.

Unfortunately I have had to be there at Easter, Never Never again.
FollowupID: 675648

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 17:31

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 17:31
Good point.

Maybe next time though it may be friendlier to say why. Not just kick me.

Phil
FollowupID: 675653

Follow Up By: kend88 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 18:24

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 18:24
I loved Litchfield but would hesitate camping there at that time of the year. i thought our van was pretty insect proof but spent one of the worst nights of my life (in June) trying to keep the insects at bay. They came "thru" the flyscreens as if they wern't there. More insects inside than outside.
Would also hesitate taking young kids there at that time of the year, mainly freshwater, but also saltwater crocs. close some of the good spots.

From memory Gunlom is supposed to have only freshies, but unless you want to walk up to the top every time you want a swim, quite a distance, I would hesitate swimming down the bottom with young kids with freshies.

I am only going on advice regarding the crocs, so someone may correct me.

KenD
Bris
FollowupID: 675665

Sponsored Links