Places to see Mid North Coast NSW

Looking for places to see in Mid North coast of NSW over Easter. Looking at a 10 day trip, prefer free or cheap camping (self sufficient caravan). Starting and finishing from Brisbane.
Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 13:39

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 13:39
Hi Glen,
How far do you want to go. It is going to b pretty busy wherever you go. Here is a few suggestions off the top of my head. You wont get much free stuff on the coast itself so you may need to head inland a bit. Cangi and hanging rock on the Clarence as well as the Mann river reserve, Dalmortan, Toonunbar Falls near Urbenville, Maclean as the Highland Gathering has been brought forward a week. Gibralter National Park, Washpool National park, I think it may be wiser to travel inland a bit to get away from the crowds. Hope this helps
barb
AnswerID: 406492

Reply By: philip t jones - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:01

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:01
Hi Glen

You will be lucky to find anywhere to camp Free or otherwise at that time of year, as it is wall to wall people on the coast. Look at inland national parks lots of good places up and down the coast but will still be faily busy at that time of year.

Phil
AnswerID: 406498

Reply By: John and Lynne - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:46

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:46
The Pacific Highway will be very busy and slow during Easter school holidays - major roadworks around Ballina and Kew slow things even more. You will be lucky to get in anywhere and camp spots and Caravan Parks will be crowded if you do squeeze in.
The weather should be lovely then for an inland trip - try checking out some of the lovely areas off the New England Highway eg Barrington Tops. This could be a great alternative - less traffic and some great country for camping. Also check fire restrictions - I think a total fire ban may in place until end of April! Have a good trip! Lynne
AnswerID: 406503

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:07

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:07
You could try here, There's an honesty box as you go in.

http://www.wildwalks.com/camping-in-nsw-parks/hunter-mid-north-coast-campsites/smoky-cape-camping-ground.htm.

Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406517

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:10

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:10
Depends where you call mid North Coast and whether you want Surf, Rivers nearby or be in the bush.
Depends whether you have a 4WD or not.
Your request is too broadly framed.

Sheep Station Ck camp site at southern end of Yuragair (spelling?) NP is a great site, quet. Probably nominal camping fees, composting long drops.
Don't need a 4WD to get there. Turn off about 35km south of Grafton.
I am told even better is Pebbly Beach (7km up the beach, 4WD beach run at low tide) is fantastic.

Sanden River at north end of the NP is also fantastic but over crowded (access via Brooms Head)

Red Rock is a great quiet place a bit further south with council run CP, onloy 40km north of Coffs.

If you are happy with inland locations, the country side around Dorrigo (and Bellingen) 40mkin SW of Coffs is magic. Too far from Sydney/Brisbane for day trippers or weekenders. You would have to be into bushwalking though. Bellingen seems to occupy most wives for a day or two.

AnswerID: 406518

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:00

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:00
Hi!
The camp area is called station creek and is really nice
Barb
FollowupID: 676283

Reply By: poppywhite - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:33

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:33
Realy depends on your definicion of mid north coast. Its a big area. Your Interests ect. Please be more specific.
Elenbourough falls is a good diversion. There MAY be cheep and quiet camping at little plains would have to ask about that though.
AnswerID: 406547

Reply By: petengail - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:22
we are going to red rock. rang and booked in about 2 weeks ago. they dont have a specific site reservation system and its quite a large park with lots to do and see around it. its north of woolgoolga... has a lovely creek headland lookout miles and miles of beach and the yurigir national park with a lovely long boardwalk beside the creek. there will be a lot of people there but thats the price of holidays when the significant other works in a school. give them a call you just might well get in there. cheers pete
AnswerID: 406617

Sponsored Links