Menindee to Pooncarie

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 17:59
ThreadID: 76458 Views:4932 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to travel this route in May and then continue on to Wentworth and thence to Albury via the Darling and Murray Rivers. any information on the road of first part of the trip ie Menindee to Pooncarie would be appreciated. We will try and most of the trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:19

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:19
P&P
You can get all the information you want on the trip you have mentioned by going to treks and looking it up.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 406746

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:00

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:00
We did this road late January and found the road to be in very poor condition but it is very scenic.

The best part of the road is at Pooncarie...it's sealed.
AnswerID: 406752

Reply By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:35

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:35
when you get to Menindee go to the servo and ask for either Bob or John Coombe they will be able to tell you what it is like as they also run a trucking business and travel that road fairly often,if they are not there, there will be someone who will have some idea. Have fun, drive safe and enjoy all the best Hayd and Jude
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406760

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:56

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:56
We are going the other way in May , was going to be 2nd week in but circumstances look like changing and we may be able to leave a week or so earlier...Wentworth to Pooncarie to Menindee to Broken Hill , then on to Darwin and W.A. White Falcon wagon and Avan dual axle poptop...not in any great hurry...but just hope the road is not to bad...cheers
AnswerID: 406767

Follow Up By: wilco318 - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:37

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:37
We are also (were) planning to travel to Mungo then onto Pooncarie and Menindee in the first and 2nd weeks of May. But at this stage it looks like being under water by then, with the reaching Bourke in mid April, so I assume it will reach Wilcannia sometime early May then down to Menindee a couple of weeks later.
FollowupID: 679902

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 14:02

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 14:02
The road from Menindee to Pooncarie is always corrugated. That is just the way it is.

It starts off on the flood plain, where it is flat and generally good travelling. Then it cuts through dune country and is soft sand over clay for most of the trip. It carries a lot of traffic and a lot of that is travelling reasonably fast. It is a good road and provides easy travelling if you take it easy. Watch for oncoming traffic.

From Pooncarie to Wentworth/Mildura it is sealed.

If you don't like corrugations have a good look at your maps, there are alternatives.

Duncs
AnswerID: 406872

Reply By: GHThommo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:49

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:49
We travelled in the opposite direction in october. We were advised by a cafe owner in Pooncarrie to stay off the main Menindee road because of the high level of corrugation and to go via a road on the western side of the Darling. He has a deal going with the camp ground owner at Bindara to supply route maps with interest points highlighted.

To access this road from Menindee you would have to go through Kinchega Nat Park and then go via Bindara. We found the road to be in reasonably good condition although on this section we did shake loose the back stabiliser leg on the Cub so that it scrapped along the road and got bent. Bit of a downer but easily rectified.

Good camp sites on the Darling at both Kinchega NP and Pooncarrie.

Thommo
AnswerID: 406903

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:05
QUOTE....'We are planning to travel this route in May and then continue on to Wentworth and thence to Albury via the Darling and Murray Rivers.'

You might have to re-think your travel plans somewhat as you can't follow the Darking from Wentworth to Albury. Tha Darling River ends when it meets the Murray at Wentworth. Good luck with your travels.
AnswerID: 406973

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 03:01

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 03:01
ahem.....

Which part of "via the Darling and Murray Rivers" didn't you understand???

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 676825

Reply By: buddinggypsies - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24
We are planning the same thing in April starting from Canberra. Though might have to be a plan B judging by the way the flood waters are coming down from QLD now!!!
AnswerID: 409075

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:27

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:27
Before all the rain we did it in a Nissan Maxima. A piece of cake. The corrugations were absorbed very nicely by the active Thompson suspension. Almost as well as the Bilstein setup does.

But if you have standard suspension you would have had a weight lifting trip. Shaken but not stirred.

Now Who knows. If they grade it after the rain you could do it in a billy cart.

Give the servo in Menindee a call and ask them.

Phil
AnswerID: 409095

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:00

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:00
Ooops The Bilsteins are on the Toyota. I meant to say "Almost as good as the Bilstein suspension on the Toyota".

Oh how I wish this forum gad an editor.

Phil
FollowupID: 679051

Sponsored Links