Sandflag required for Tibooburra to Birdsville?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:31
ThreadID: 76495 Views:4269 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi there

We're in the prep/planning stages for a trip in July this year. Going from Sydney to Broken Hill, north to Tib, then out through Cameron Corner to Innamincka. We're going from Innamicka through Walkers Crossing to Birdsville and then back via Noccundra.

Is there requirement to have a Sandflag mounted for the sections from Tib through to Innamincka and onto Birdsville?

If not, should we consider it from a safety aspect?

I don't really want to get one as the budget is starting to creep upwards already. But if it's strongly adviseable, then I will.

Thanks folks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:39

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:39
Bockstar,
These are major roads with some crests where you will need to stay to the left, but they are wide, not single lane. The only place you might want a flag is if you take the Bore Track.
West of Cameron's Corner beware of the washaways at the crest of some hills. Some are marked with red flags.
If you want one, tie an old fishing rod to your bull bar and put a bit of cloth on it. Sand flag should cost $0.
Ian
AnswerID: 406958

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:53

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:53
Hi Bockstar...
Well... I will say that ALL of the mining company vehicles up here/there DO carry sandflags... Mayhaps that's an OH&S/Insurance requirement... But you have to think that ANYTHING that improves SAFETY is worthwhile...
What you have to consider is Whatif you breach a Crest the same time as a like-minded thinker as you..?? You don't have a flag - He don't have flag...
It dun't cost that much...
And you should also be using your UHF when attempting/ascening crests...
But you do that... Don't you..??
Jedo
AnswerID: 406964

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:12

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:12
"And you should also be using your UHF when attempting/ascening crests...
But you do that... Don't you..??"
Jed it would be totally ridiculous calling out on the UHF every time you were about to crest a dune. Forgetting for a moment what channel we would all select to do this just imagine 10 cars on a 10km section of road all calling out. No one could tell who was where going which way :-)
As for a flag, on those sections of road one is not required & to be realistic at the speeds vehicles are doing along there, by the time you saw the flag the car would be apon you. Best option is to back off for crests & keep left particually from Cameron's Cnr to the Strezlecki.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 676789

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:05
Going on the weather,don't worry about a flag go and buy a Submarine.LOL.cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 406972

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 23:38

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 23:38
That was my first thought as well. LOL

We are planning a similar trip in only 4 weeks. With the current floods and road closures the first 2 weeks of our trip would be impossible at present.

I am starting to think we might do the trip back to front. ie check out Ayers Rock, KC, Alice, etc and then hopefully after that things will start to dry out.

It all adds to the adventure.

About the sand flag. Ours cost us $5. I purchased a bright safety vest for $5 and will tape it to an old fibreglass tent pole.

Geoff
FollowupID: 676811

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:09

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:09
Great Trip. Sandflag for your itinerary...no.UHF radio, for sure and perhaps a set of floaties ;-) In all seriousness the UHF is the best bit of kit on those roads as you'll encounter other travellers and more than likely the slower moving heavy trucks.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 406975

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 06:11

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 06:11
Bockstar
My understanding is that they don't expect the Walkers Crossing Track to open at all this year. (Sorry can't remember where I read that) But you should be able to get to Birdsville one of the other ways. Just check when you get to Innamincka (if it ever dries out!!!).

teege

AnswerID: 407009

Follow Up By: bockstar1 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 07:39
Thanks Teege.

More detailed research and investigation will take place in June. I guess like any travel, you can plan all you like but there is a chance you may need to change them during the trip, depending on the variables at play.

cheers.

FollowupID: 676836

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:47

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:47
Hate to be a party pooper but guess where it's raining again today.
AnswerID: 407103

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:05
Bucky's home made Sand Flag ..

Thoery....... males are 80-90% dominent drivers, in the desert

Males will spot a set of Bras... at 500 paces, no matter what is on the road .
That's a gender thing ..

Image Could Not Be Found

Gotta love it ..

Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 407151

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:06

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:06
Gidday

Simple answer is no. Just keep to the left of the small sand dunes.

If your going in July most of the water will have dried up, unless there are seasonal rain around the time you visit.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 407152

Sponsored Links