seen a 98 Lcruiser 214000 kms 4 sale

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 23:19
ThreadID: 7650 Views:1983 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A 98 GXL cruiser is for sale with 214000km's on the clock.
One owner from country, all receipts are there for services etc.
It's in excellent condition. They'll let me contact the owner to talk
about its history as well.
It's for sale through toyota yard for $29990. They'll give me $2000
for my old rusty 84 jackaroo. That brings it down to 27990.
Could prob wangle it down by another $1500.
They will warranty it for 3yrs/75000km's for $1300.
Unlimited claims and no cap on claim. Anything goes wrong mechanically,
they'll fix.
I average 20000km a year so it will give me peace of mind for the next 3yrs easy.

Am I playing with fire here considering the km's?
What sort of km's should you get out of one of these motors?
(I know...how long is a piece of string etc etc.)

Any advice

cheers
wolf
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 23:23

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 23:23
Sorry, it's a auto petrol model.
wolf
AnswerID: 32942

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 23:31

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 23:31
we need more info , is it a 100 series , is it petrol / diesel ??

The warranty he is offering , for $1500 , is a external company , which one is it ? some of these warranties arnt worth the toilet paper there writen on . The dealer buys these for $ 400 and then try to sell them for $1300,
tell him that you know this , so you want it for free , since the 3 month statutory warranty , dosnt exist duy to the kms traveled .

If this car is Silver and from Melbourne , I may know of this vehicle , I valued a car to your discription around a month ago . From memory , I put $ 24,000 as a purchase price (trade) Venus Bay
AnswerID: 32943

Reply By: dogart - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 00:47

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 00:47
Eric FYI

The car is being sold by a Newtown Toyota Dealership in Perth.
http://www.newtowntoyota.com.au

Price $29,999
Vehicle 1998 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FZJ80R GXL
Body WAGON
Colour CANOPY GREEN
Transmission Automatic
Kilometers 214308
Engine Petrol Multi-point injected 4.5 (4477cc) 
VIN JT711UJA509001078 

cheers
wolf
AnswerID: 32946

Follow Up By: koh - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:54

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:54
When I was looking for a Cruiser I looked at more then 100 vehicles over a period of 4 months around Perth,, there were a lot around that would have been ok other then the one I chose, I read something in the West Australian paper that made me think and was quite correct, choose your dealer before you choose your car. be careful on warranties and promises, With the farm we buy a few secondhand vehicles and I find more rewarding spending the money that the warranty would have cost (which usually coincides with a further discount) on reconditioning the motor/vehicle, I found Newtown Toyota in Perth to be one of the more helpful lot and seem to have a better selection of vehicles, detailed better as well, Our local boys in Merredin ended up finding me one.
214ks a bit high but it will go a longer, price I have seen better but the cars have been rough.
$30k would probably buy you one of the best 80 series on the block! Food for thought. A few up this way weren’t that happy with the early 100's

Cheers to all

William
FollowupID: 23569

Follow Up By: dogart - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:56

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:56
William
What did you get that had 214K km's on it and what sort of deal as well?

I've been doing the same. Looking for either a Jackaroo or Cruiser
for the last say 4 months now. Posting heaps of ?'s on this site
and learning a lot from the feedback.
Some of the crap that I have seen in the yards and the prices they have
on them is unbelievable.
$28990 for a 95 gxl pet auto with 178000km...get real!
That's why something like the 98 looks pretty good with the full warranty.
I found Newtown to be a helpful yard as well. To the point, no BS from the
rep, just straight down the line.
Best time to hit the yards is end of the month, when they need to get
the sales for there bonuses.
I have the time and that will work for me in the long run.
And there will always be another car that comes up next week that may be
just as good and for a better price.

cheers
wolf

FollowupID: 23571

Follow Up By: koh - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:12

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:12
I picked up a 97 80 series with high 200+Ks but I have had a few of these since new and I know the vehicles. Preference in models would have to be the one just prior to the 40th anniversary model for I guess more reasons then no simplicity and a bit more for your dollar with out a few of the add on’s, I know where its going to squeak and where to oil it so to speak, hence familiarity has stuck me mostly with cruisers, we have cruisers from 88 tray backs s to 2003 GXL V8’s most of which respond in relation to how they are serviced. You get slack, you fix problems etc,

Yes there is a lot of rubbish on the market and its hard to imagine how some of these vehicles end up the way they do at such a young age.

I watch the 4x4 market religiously and you notice a trend and fluctuation in prices coinciding with school holidays, public holidays to a lesser extent and events like the caravan and camping shows, not to mention end of month and end of financial year etc, what I think I’m trying to say is that with monitoring the climate a bit there are big dollars to be saved. There’s money to be saved with models too, a 12th/98 will generally sell approx $4000 cheaper then a 1st 99. You cop it on resale but hey margins are the same. Every one has to make a living too even car salesmen (lol) but we have to save a buck too!
You get what you pay for bottom line.
There is another chap that bent and is still bending over backwards for us; this guy honestly would have to get the perseverance award of the year. With constant emails/phone calls/ he’s offered to drive units to us to have a look. (300kms away) the man is awesome really (for a cars salesman:-) ) he works for Melville Toyota and his name is Heath. Tell him Bill mentioned him to you and tell him i'm still looking for the wife’s car. You’ll get a laugh out of how hard he works at selling you a car if nothing else.
I’ll have to buy one from him soon, recon he’s more then earn’t it.
Time is on your side like you say. Use it

All the best

William and Diane

Ps; A plug for ARB in Ozy Park Perth, re; Rob. great service, good prices
a good honest helpfull bunch . Thanks
FollowupID: 23588

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:06

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:06
I looked at a white GXL 5 speed diesel 11\00 today absolutely immaculate condition, sheepskin covers since new and floormats, quality alloy b\bar, d\lights, roofrack, UHF radio, tint, and brand new 285\75 BFG ATs on factory alloy rims. The catch, 220,000 ks. An ex one owne\driver tour vehicle serviced religously. Whats it worth?

BTW my truck is for sale
90 model White GXL 80 Series,Diesel,
DTS Turbo, Lovells coils 2" over,
XGS Series 2000 shocks,
Hella 4000 d\lights, Goodyear MTR Tyres 32.11.50.15,
under bonnet Blue Tongue Compressor,
TJM Steel B\Bar,
Titanium Tint, OE Alloy rack,
Ox 10,000lb Hydraulic winch,
GME 3200 UHF.
Whats it worth?Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 23849