mallacoota camping at Easter

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:45
ThreadID: 76535 Views:4122 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
We normally, for the last 20 years or so, have been very happy campers at Fishermans Point on the Murray. It seems that the dreaded blue green algea is back. I am thinking of Mallacoota for the Easter break. Does anybody know what the campgrounds are like at this time of year, busy or not. I have only been there in the middle of winter and of course there were lots of spots.

thanks in advance.

eric.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 23:36

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 23:36
Eric,

Stick to the foreshore caravan park. Should be plenty of sites - powered or unpowered.

Of course if a caravan park on one of the best estuaries in SE Aust isn't your thing there are places to bush camp but they might be a little harder to get into. eg Shipwreck Creek.

What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Dave
AnswerID: 407188

Follow Up By: dublediff - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:49
Thanks Dave, the foreshore campsite sounds perfect for the small group going. Our normal style for this time of year is bush camp, you use what you bring - water, toilet and shower, but this year some softer campers are travelling along and they want flushing toilets etc. and of course no blue-green algae,

Eric
FollowupID: 677073

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:59

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:59
Hi Eric (dubblediff),
I was in Mallacoota in 06 in October and was very taken with the place. Not sure what the normal population is but after talking to a local we discovered that in holiday season the population swells to around 10 thousand. The area from the existing caravan park up to the point just south east of the park fills to capacity. I am only guessing but I think it is about 10 acres or so and it fills to capacity. I would suspect that the easter weekend would be very similar circumstance.

best advice is get there earlier in the week and pick your spot but I would also suspect that there would be a lot of bookings taken for that weekend.

I hope I am wrong for your sake but forewarned is forearmed. Try ringing the caravan park and you will no for sure where you stand.
Not much help am I.
Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407219

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:03

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:03
Eric a thought just came to mind that I had read a story in Caravan and Motorhome mag about someone who had camped at Bemm River, which is slightly inland from Mallacoota, well there abouts, and it was a nice spot also acording to the article. Trouble is everywhere is busy on the easter weekend isn't it. regards and best of luck mate, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677085

Reply By: dublediff - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:15

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:15
Yep, it's gonna be chokers. Only unpowered sites left so I have to make up my mind soon, thanks guys.
eric
AnswerID: 407229

Reply By: Member - Dave and Shaz - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:51

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:51
Great spot! We were there in March 07, was a pretty busy place but a beautiful area. Plenty of sites at the very large camp ground on the foreshores of the lake. Here's a few photos for you. The likeside camp spots have their own boat ramp - top idea if you are a fisho!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zAq40iPwSaqLc1QF7jRoLw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-b-YuM23C3LtyqA8Usn1SQ?feat=directlink
AnswerID: 407548

Sponsored Links