100 series fuel solenoids

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:42
ThreadID: 7655 Views:4963 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone can provide some right advice,

Strolling through the bush on Sunday with some friends near Newnes (Lithgow) enjoying some scenery in the drizzly weather. Down a back track and copped a stick which spun up and 'whack!!", smashed the fuel supply and return solenoids (bloody plastic). Diesel everywhere. Mucked around and mucked around and mucked around, bypassing the solenoids but we couldn't get fuel to the motor. Mrs and I spent a cold uncomfortable night in the car (wouldn't leave it on its own in the bush, likely to return and find half a LC, would that therefore be a 50 series??) and our friends did a fair bit of toing and froing to Lithgow and camp trying to find the right parts. Eventually got it going yesterday and returned to the Big Smoke.

Q: Can anyone recommend a wrecker here in Sydney that might carry these things? Not a popular part. Have searched through Exploreoz, can't find anything (good opportunity for a wrecker to advertise ay). They are about the size of a pepper cannister (small), Toyota reckons $250 each!!! and they'd have to order them in. They just switch from main to sub tank and back. Alternative suggestions also appreciated.

Last resort before biting the bullet

JimB

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:52

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:52
Jim,

Am not familiar with solenoids on 100's, but would assume they are the same as those used on 80's and 75's. Your description fits them anyway. Why not try an older model for starters, but you'd want to make sure they were clean first before fitting. Suppose you realise the return solenoid has smaller barbs than the supply one.

Same thing happened to me, in middle of Diamantina channels, on a sunday arvo drive with Mum and Kids, next minute its diesel up to the armpits, eh. There's a mob called Japarts, that advertises on TV up here, they have a 1800 number that can't recall.

Good luck, hooroo...
AnswerID: 32964

Reply By: JimB - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:12

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:12
Yeah goodonya Bob, Thanks mate.

Not really the sort of thing you expect to occur but these things happen ay. Was aware of that 1/4 ID and 3/8 ID for them. Hard to believe that they would both be cleaned up. Still, as I said to Mrs, it's not one of those things that puts your life in danger. I had thought they would be pretty generic to all Toyota 4wd models. Ah well, have bitten the bullet and ordered new ones now. They gace me $30 discount each. Should arrive tomorrow

Thanks for the response Bob

JimB
AnswerID: 32968

Reply By: CC - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:11

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:11
Try Gympie 4WD 07 5482 3900. They may have it and they'll ship anywhere. Ben Walker there is the man to talk to. He's a good bloke.

If they don't have it, try Central Motor Wreckers 03 5332 1721 ask for Dean. They also ship nationally.

You can also try Scott's Parts Plus ask for Matthew on 1300 726 887. They're in Dubbo.

Cheers.

CC
AnswerID: 33001

Follow Up By: JimB - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:07

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:07
Thanks CC. I'll keep them all in mind. As said above I've had to bite the bullet and order original. Handy numbers to have though

JimB
FollowupID: 23593

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:04

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:04
Amazing!!! Just had it happen to me too :-(

I have just returned from doing 1800k 'short trip' down to Cape Everard (Victoria) part of which was doing Duea national park with Spurry and Big Rigger. We had spent something like 12 hours, mostly at 3 - 4 km/hr bushbashing ( but thats another thread :-)) and I had slept over night at "Big Hole" (Berlag) and had carried on next day on my own. I was about 45km from Nimmitabel when fuel the warning light came up on the main tank (was due to show low) . I knew the aux tank was full so I thought I would just see how long I could go with the light on b4 switching over. Anyway after 40k I bottled out, not wanting to suck up any rubbish from the bottom of the tank etc and switched over to the aux. I then came up a hill and was met by an incredible sight of snow on the mountains and stopped to take a pic. When I got out I was met with a strong smell of deisel and sure enough when I looked underneath it was pouring out. I shut down the motor and clambered under and was met with the sight of one of the return line broken off and the branch that caused it still wedged up under the solenoid. Like you I cannot beleive these are made of plastic. I was lucky in as much as I could remove the broken peice out of the pipe and push it back onto the remaining 'stub' and keep in place with a jubilee clip. $250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done 1800k with it as is, maybe it can wait :-)
For the next hour I just had to keep saying to myself how lucky I was 1) to try and see how long I could run with the low fuel light on and stayed on the main tank and then 2) having to stop to take the pic of the mountains. If I hadnt done both these things I would have drained my entire aux tank ( 170lts) onto the road, because as much as some of you will say I should, I dont spend all day looking at my fuel gauges, especially when I know I have heaps.
AnswerID: 33081

Follow Up By: JimB - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:35

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:35
Yeah smashed 'em both. Amazing. I'll have a look at how I could construct a protective plate under them.

I contacted a couple of Toyota dealers here in the Big Smoke, they all said "never had top sell one before". I guess that sorta suggests what sort of use the 4wd's here get ay ("Ooh don't want to get it dirty!!"). Only been here a couple of years off the farm. Have never seen so many 4WD's as in Sydney.

We figure we're pretty lucky too Kiwi, wasn't a dangerous situation, were only an hour or so from town, had backup with us (and a diesel mechanic - bonus ay). So more an expensive inconvenience.

JimB
FollowupID: 23638

Reply By: Member - Ken - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:47

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:47
This post has got me thinking. Does the 75 series (troopy) have these solenoids.

If so, where are they located.

regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 33144

Reply By: Wil - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:32

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:32
Could you guys tell me where's this solenoid located on a 80 series?
I'll give it an armour plate.

Cheers
AnswerID: 33166

Follow Up By: JimB - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 07:37

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 07:37
I would imagine that they'd be located in pretty much the same position for both the troopy and the 80 series. On the 100 series they are centrally mounted just forward of the rear axle and just behind the main fuel tank. You will recognise them as the fuel lines (supply and return) all run through them. The supply lines are 3/8 ID and the return ones are 1/4 ID.

Back of the Cruiser and the Heaslip camper certainly aren't going to rust in the immediate future, both have a lovely coating of diesel (and mud) to protect 'em.

Good luck ay, reckon the time spent protecting 'em might be worth it.

JimB
FollowupID: 23765

Sponsored Links