Laura to Maytown with a kimberly Kamper

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:28
ThreadID: 7657 Views:3455 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Heading to Cape in June 04 and will be travelling with another vehicle towing a kimberly kamper. We are really interested in doing the laura to maytown track but have read in several books that this is an extreme track. We are reasonably experienced 4wd users with capable 4wds. Also would like to do frenchmans gap road. Any general comments from people towing similar campers into these or similar areas would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JimB - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:44

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:44
Ooh Mark,

Have done the reverse trip without camper. The track is pretty rough/ rocky/ bumpy so 2 hrs for 18 km's was the pace. There is a pretty steep pinch not far from Maytown going uphill (towards Laura) that required us to go back to Low Low in the 100 series diesel. That has never happended to us before or since and should indicate the steepness. Apart from that just the bumpiness would make it a tedious drive I reckon.

Frenchmans would be ok but depends 'cos track conditions change every year.

JimB
AnswerID: 32960

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:33
JimB

How do you mean low low? Do you have two transfer cases installed for extra gear reduction?

Or do you mean low range and low in an auto?

Or something else?

Cheers,
Rhu
FollowupID: 23563

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:08

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:08
Rhubarb
You must be new to 4WDing! He means first gear in low range. It's a common expression.
FollowupID: 23572

Follow Up By: JimB - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:51

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:51
Ay Rhubarb,

Yes mate, Moose is right. First gear, low range. Manual diesel. Steep pinch.
FollowupID: 23581

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:53

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:53
No not really new. :)

I was just a little confused when you said it was the first time you have used 'low low'.

Thanks for that,
Cheers,
Rhu
FollowupID: 23582

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:02

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:02
I would not recommend the Old Coach Trail with a trailer. We go there regularly and have been trough there twice this year on trail bikes. It is only about 80klms but in places is very steep and rocky. Allow 8 hours in a 4wd. We go up and back in a day on the bikes. Don't even consider it without a winch. I rate it as twice as difficult as the CREB track so you could test yourselves on the CREB on the way north as long as it is dry.Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 32961

Follow Up By: Slammin - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:45

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:45
Hi Rob I remember it as a great track, I remember the hard bit as Hells Gates? or Battle Creek? anyway something nasty - just wondering if you could fill the holes in my memory, it was a set of steps up a steepish climb on sandstone, not that far from Maytown. We did it a long time ago and absolutely loved it, we came in from Palmer Roadhouse I think and it was a bloody maze of mining tracks, lots of pigs and even more beer, hence the holes in my memory!!??!!??!!??
Would love to take the 640 thru there, and you get paid for it!
You Lucky/Smart *(%^*$^%$
FollowupID: 23631

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:41

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:41
Neither Hells Gate or Battle Camp are on this track. I will be doing a trip to Hells gate towards the end of this month. The steep part you are talking of leads up to the Folders Pub circuit.Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 23841

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:25

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:25
The track down to Maytown is possible with the correct set up and the KK is just that. Starting from the Laura end you have a tricky crossing of the Little Laura River just before Jowllbinna, walk it first.

There is a couple of steep jump ups as you get to the top of the range approach with caution.

If you seek permission at a Mine Site you can use their haul road and avoid the next steep, rough uphill that will test your driving abillty.

As for Frenchmans, as stated it changes every year so check first.
AnswerID: 32997

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:13

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:13
That crossing has been virtually dry for the last 2 years.
Have you taken a camper trailer through there? Almost every time we ride through we find broken vehicles even without trailers. As I said I wouldn't recommend it, thats not to say it can't be done. Unlikely you could do the Folders Pub circuit.Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 23606

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:38

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:38
It's a dry crossing but the approach is a sharp lefthand entry and very washed out.

Yes I have taken a Off Road trailer through there it took all day from the Hann River to Maytown via Laura, but we were in no hurry, and nothing broke, it's just a matter of taking your time and drive to the conditions.

Never been on the loop track, only down near the Logan Jack cairn, where the slots are cut into the rock to lower Stage Coaches down. This is a more direct down hill.
FollowupID: 23634

Reply By: Member - Paul - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 06:13

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 06:13
Hi Mark
Didn't go to Maytown but wouldn't recommend Frenchman's while towing. I was through there about a month ago and the Pascoe crossing was a bit ordinary. No real problems but then again, I wasn't towing.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 33458

Sponsored Links