car awning - Polaris/Open sky ????

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 18:26
ThreadID: 76585 Views:4542 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at purchasing an awning that is quick to set up that we could mount on our Jayco Swan and then when we are finished our trip mount on our Prado. There seems to be quite a few brands. Does anyone have one they would suggest? Cheers :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 18:38

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 18:38
Kristy
Given that the length of the Swan is 4.165, I find it hard to imagine that any awning built to fit that will adapt to your Prado. I have an awning off the side of my Prado (90 series) which is 2.5m wide. To put that on the side of your Swan would look like a pimple on a pumpkin. Vice versa a 4m awning would look awfully strange hanging off the side your Prado.

Teege
AnswerID: 407428

Follow Up By: Kristy.B - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 18:48

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 18:48
mmm... thanks for that Teege. I obviously hadn't workout the measurements, just thought that it would be a good idea. Just trying to come up with ideas that will make things quicker and easier along the way.

Thanks again K
FollowupID: 677348

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 20:05

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 20:05
Here’s what I have:

Polaris awning on the car (2.5m)

Fliamma awning on the camper van (3.5m)

When rolled out together this gives me 4.5m (14.75 foot) of shade between the car and the van.

The Fliamma is rolled in each night, but I generally leave the Polaris pegged and roped during the night (unless there is wild weather predicted).

It took me a while to figure out how to get the two awnings aligned, but a couple of blocks of wood and measured rope, fixed the problem.

The Fliamma is easy to roll out and retract, but it does'nt have the strength of a canvas awning attached to the foof rack of a 4WD. They have their good and bad points.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 407441

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:34
Bought an ARB 2.5 M awning for our Prado a couple of weeks ago. It is fantastic.

But it is not the lenght I'd be concerned about but the height of your van's roof from the ground.

The roll out 4X4 awnings a only meant to be a couple of metres off the ground. Unless you got one with leg extensions it would be a very steep awning setup.

Why not speak to Jayco or try one of the companies like Kakadu. They make walls for awnings and may be able to help you.
AnswerID: 407809

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:34
Why not get both? I have a Polaris on my Paj and over Xmas we toured Tassie with my brother who has a Fiamm on the side of his slide on camper. We found butting the two together made for an excellent amount of shade, and it was quite easy to line them up.

If you want to talk about a custom setup give Polarisinnovations a call. Small family company and quite open to suggestions.
AnswerID: 407820

Sponsored Links