Hello, i'm a new explorer.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 18:42
ThreadID: 76648 Views:4691 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all, i'm a new explorer, please help me. My partner and i are planning an extended trip from Sydney to Broome via the Bungle Bungles, down to eighty mile beach then onto the Wapet Rd accross to Gary Junction. From Gary Junction to Sandy Blight Junction and down to Warakurna. From there we are going to head to Uluru and the Mereenie Loop. From Alice Springs we will be heading for Dalhousie Springs and Oodnadatta via the Anado Track, onto the Oodnadatta track to Lake Eyre and then join the Strzelecki Track to Cameron Corner and home.

This, as you have probably guessed is my first time doing anything like this (my partner has done some outback travel and we are fully prepared vehicle wise) but i have only been camping twice and that was in National parks around the greater Sydney area and only for 1 night at a time. Whilst i am looking forward to the adventure, i have some serious fears about snakes, scorpions, and any othe bities that could have the ability to kill me (including mass murderers).

My apologies for the long post, but could somone please help me with these fears and trepidations.

Denise.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 18:52

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 18:52
More Murders in the city.

Shake your boots out in the morning and be aware and observant when walking around the bush.

Other than that this site has stacks of info to help you plan your trip have a search through the headers at the top of the page.

Have fun and enjoy.

Think about this, If it was a problem to travel then the papers would be full of headlines sprouting about the murders and the death by snake bite, scorpion etc etc.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407699

Follow Up By: Desert Virgin - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 21:03

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 21:03
Were planning to leave our boots in the tent (its a roof top tent)

I will look into more on this site - There's a lot of interesting and helpfull things

thank you
FollowupID: 678036

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 18:58

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 18:58
Hi Denise,
As you have never done this before might I suggest that you get hold of Len Beadell s books and read them from cover to cover. There are 6 in the series.

Books can be found on the Beadell home page. This man is a legend, even in his own lifetime he was a legend.

Things have changed a lot since Len opened up those roads you mentioned but the reading is still relevant.

I would tackle something a little less adventurous until your skills improve as such a trip could still be life threatening , in certain circumstances, to the inexperienced.

Best idea would be to team up with some experienced EO members when they are doing such a trip to gain some valuable insight as to what you could expect on such a trip.

I am sure you will get plenty of feed back on this one.
Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407702

Follow Up By: Desert Virgin - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 21:13

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 21:13
Hello

Yes Len Beadells books is on my wish list which I will be getting.

My partner has been a traveller and has the experience which make me feel safe -Its me and my fears I worry about :(

I am getting a lot of feedback :)

Regards
Denise
FollowupID: 678039

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:33

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:33
Gday,
You have bitten off a lot for your first trip and good on ya!
Do a first aid course, carry a good first aid kit, be careful and enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 407709

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:47

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:47
During our camping in bush, back when tent floors weren't invented, our troop would sprinkle black pepper at entrance of tent and around,most animals tend to shy away, its cheap and portable and gives good night sleep, except when it rains and washes away, lol lol, but on the whole, if you feel something move in your sleeping bag and its not your leg, don't move, of course having a sub-machine gun would help if this crisis evolved as what happened to one of our troopers,

Even with Australias bush critters, I/we still go camping and I've yet to read about any campers dying of bities, now sharks-crocodiles, they more mean than scorpions, snakes, hospitals have antivenin for the latter but not the former

Best journeys
AnswerID: 407710

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:53

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:53
When my wife started camping and going bush with me she had the same sort of fears as you, snakes, personal safety issues. After a little while the only thing that bothered her were flies, mozzies, no flushing toilets and not having a shower every day relying on a wash from a bowl. (She also says to remember to take the pill).

No Australian scorpion is dangerous, you will be unlucky if you come across a snake as they are very shy and slither away when our footsteps get close. Of all the years I’ve been going bush and hiking I’ve only had to move out of the way of 2 snakes. Both times were remote bushwalks well away from campsites. Just be vigilant shake your boots and blankets out before use.

Broome has potentially dangerous jellyfish but there are signs everywhere to warn tourists. I would advise against swimming at 80 mile, a little shark may take a liking to your ankles. You aren’t going anywhere where crocs will be a problem.

Your biggest problem is likely to be punctures or tyre blowouts, if you get one and you have a single vehicle accident on a remote stretch of road you may be in trouble. Learn what to do in an emergency and stuck 100’s of km from anywhere. Learn basic first aid. Make sure your partner has an EPIRB.

But apart from that the biggest danger you will face is getting hooked on Australia. It is a beautiful country and the best way to see it is in a 4wd and camping. Enjoy yourself and remember to take a good camera.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 407711

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:00

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:00
Denise,

Sounds a great trip. Forget the mass murderers - they're city people and there aren't enough victims in the bush! There are bities, but simple precautions like emptying them out of your boots before putting your foot in will sort out most of them. Snakes - just keep an eye out for them, never put your foot down without checking where it's going (always step on top of a log, not over it, etc).... generally they are not aggressive unless they think you're having a go at them.

As already said, you are taking on a fairly advanced trip in places. Wapet Rd, Sandy Blight Junction, Garry Junction is remote country and deserves respect. You will be entirely responsible for your own wellbeing, which is a rare experience for city folk. It's the sort of country where seasoned travellers prefer not to travel alone. Not that they are scared, but having a second vehicle, alternative driver/s, extra fuel, water, food and (very desirable) communications gear can save a lot of worry. Provided you travel during the winter months there should be daily traffic in those areas, but having a supportive fellow traveller with you is definitely to be recommended.

Also, both you and your partner should be competent drivers, and know how to manage tyre pressures on difficult terrain, have good 4WD skills, carry spares for the vehicle and the tools and ability to use them.

It's a great trip. Enjoy.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407713

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:24

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:24
Listen to J and V Denise, it's good advice.
FollowupID: 677621

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:16

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:16
Join the ExplorOz site and get the full benefits for being on here and using it, and all the info you will find on here is good and a lot of people will help you in planing your trip..........Have fun doing the trip...Also what vehicle do you have to travel in.....What is your set up with what you are carrying.

Cheers for now..........Williamh...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 407714

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:06

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:06
Denise
This is a BIG trip!!! Your section across the W.A. deserts is a real challenge. the rest of the trip will seem like a drive down Parramatta Road after that.Can I ask what you mean by"my partner has done some outback travel and we are fully prepared vehicle wise". What sort of vehicle? How much fuel are you going to carry? What communications system do you have? What spares do you intend to carry? How much water will you have? How long do you expect the various legs to take?Where do you expect to replenish fuel,water,food? Also when do you intend to take this trip? Any time in the next three months would probably not be possible after the rain they've had in a lot of those areas.

teege
AnswerID: 407723

Reply By: Desert Virgin - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:53

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:53
Wow, thank you everyone for some very informative and encouraging responses. There is definitely a common theme showing through, first aid knowledge, common sense and trip preparedness being the order of the day (and an apparent lack of mass murderers).

In response to some of your questions, my partner has been traveling remotely for some years now starting from when he was young with his parents and more recently alone through some very remote and isolated areas (i think he has rocks in his head). The car (thanks to my partner for following info) is a current Isuzu DMAX with Heavy Duty Tough Dog suspension and polyair air bags. Tyres are 265/75/16 Bridgstone Dueler 694 LT's (new) with 2 spares. Fuel capacity is 120Lt in long range tank with an extra 55lt spare tank. Water capacity 100Lt in two seperate water ladders, one on floor in rear of cab and one on top of home built drawers in tray.

Rear seat has been removed and 80lt fridge/freezer mounted in rear cab on ply floor on one side and storage for dry food and clothing on other side. Communications are UHF, hired sat phone and spot messenger. In the tray is camping gear incl cobb cooker, sleeping bags, open fire cooking equipment, spare parts including belts, oil and fuel filter coolant, tube of Kneed-It, tyre repair kit, basic tools and the second battery which at this stage is charged off the alternator onece the main battery is charged. He assures me this is ok for this trip as we arent planning on extended stays in one location.

There is also miscellaneous items like shade tarp, ground sheet, LED lighting etc. We are planning the trip for July. Again, apologies for the lengthy response but i wanted to try and answer your queries as best as possible as i suspect your responses will be based on this information.

Thank you again,

Denise.
AnswerID: 407731

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 06:50

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 06:50
Denise
It sounds like he has crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's. Just sit back and enjoy the trip. As far as bities are concerned, sure they are out there, but in the main they are just as afraid of you as you are of them and given the chance they will run like the wind.The worst experience I have had was when we put 5 kids to bed on the ground in a tent and they had an echidna burrow up from underneath them in the middle of the night. If you just keep your wits about you, you will be fine. AND it is a great trip you have planned!!!

teege
AnswerID: 407773

Reply By: Member - Ann D (WA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:08

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:08
Hi Denise,

Just go and enjoy,yes there will be times of OH MY GOD what will i do now.
Make a cuppa sit and enjoy and take time to think.

Do the remote first aid course and carry a good first aid kit.

As the others have said shake your shoes/boots out each time before they go on.

Relax and enjoy your holiday try not to do too many kms in a day

Cheers
Ann
AnswerID: 407843

Sponsored Links