New Toyota Ad

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 19:44
ThreadID: 7668 Views:2570 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just saw the new ad for Toyota Landcruiser where old mate gets bitten by a poisonous snake while working out in the bush on his own. Cut a long story short the Toyota gets him to safety after he has to drive it through (and at great speed) a bunch of country that even the best set up vehicle couldn't manage.
Would have taken more notice but spilt my beer laughing and now spending more time cleaning the bloody carpet.
Does this stuff really sell vehicles?
PS
Any ideas about removing beer stains from the carpet.Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 19:53

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 19:53
Soda water is good for red wine..not sure about beer though...doesn't get spilt in this house..!!...

Lyn [Mrs. Al]Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

AnswerID: 33031

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:04

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:04
Get bigger floor mats or paint the walls a really bright colour, that should stop ppl looking at the floor!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 33035

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:48
G'day Dave, it irritates me when stupid adverts for 4WD's are shown on the idiot box as I feel it gives the rest of us a bad name. Maybe I'm being too sensitive.
RE The Beer problem. Get some of your workmates around for a party and when they cover the whole carpet with beer stains, it will look like the carpet is supposed to be that colour. If your place is work provided like they are around here, who cares. (Job is to keep them in good nick)Nil Taurus Excretus
AnswerID: 33055

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:12

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:12
Hi Dave i have to agree with others that 4wd ads leave a lot to be desired, there are some shocking claims displayed/made that would I love to see tried for false advertising. The X-trail is the obvious one I can think of for the moment or the one with the ute doing the massive jump to tow the monster truck. The X-trail one was particularly ridiculous as I've only seen one and it was struggling to do the Palm Valley rd, the muffler is very low behind the rear diff so they were doing about 5 K/hr trying not to bottom out. I overtook them b4 I had to use my recovery gear.
My wife loves the landcuiser ad but I thought it was bleep e.
I do however bleep myself at the new Hilux ad with the guy wearing the World's Best Street Fighter & Bouncers play the flute. If it comes to humor or tall tales give me the humour.
AnswerID: 33070

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:48

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:48
just goes to show the boys at toyota must be on drugs as suspected just look at there ads
acid flashback or what?
obviously why all parts cars and service are so dear to pay for special effects.

leave uit to spielberg and get back to making real aussie cars again.

no not the charger?????
lol tic1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 33076

Reply By: JimB - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:50

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:50
Have to agree with a few of the comments above. 4WDers are constantly having to deal with criticism from the general (uneducated) public about damage being done to the environment by even owning a 4WD, let alone actually having to engage the front diff. (Then the flamin' gov't wants to put levies and charges and fees and limitations on having one).

Yet it seems that the manufacturers want to sell the message that owning a 4WD gives you a licence to ride roughshod in a straight line over any obstacle just for the heck of it. X-trail ads, the Jeep through the mud, the old Holden Frontera, the Rodeo, all the bloody same.

We use our vehicle, as I'm sure most do, to get to the places that are away from others and where we can appreciate the environment - the big sky, the contrasting colours, the topography, the quietness, the seclusion, the 'not being anywhere near work or other people' (and of course, beer). Why don't the manufacturers show some pickies of nice places and say "with our vehicle you can get here and enjoy this too". (though I'm happy that others don't find some of the places that we go to)

Get off me soapbox now

JimB
AnswerID: 33084

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:28

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:28
I also shake my head at the various '4WD' vehicles on offer these days doing aerobatics through all sorts of terrain - always too fast etc etc. The ones that make me cringe the most are the beach ads, like the blonde bimbo from a certain television station morning program (!) who drives her Ford Escape (I think?) through the waves for a fun time. I take my truck on the beach, but stay well clear of the water if I can and take advantage of any opportunity to rinse it in a fresh water creek. I guess these ads are not really trying to appeal to the real four wheel driver - they're already convinced about what they want from other sources. The mass market who never go near the dirt sees the ad and (I guess) is enticed by the idea that it'd be good to have a vehicle capable of off road aerobatics - so they buy them. They don't use the 4WD capability, so eventually the makers trend towards softer and softer designs. Trouble is, even the so-called hard core 4WDs are affected. Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 33087

Reply By: wazza - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:56

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:56
How about the Commodore dual cab ute (Crewman) ad where the guy stretches a standard ute by hooking a chain to the towbar. Does not make sense... shouldn't he hook the chain to the front and be gunning it in reverse to stretch it?

Also saw on a tram yesterday an ad for a Ford Focus rally pack where the front half of the tram is a picture of the Ford Focus and the last half is a spray of mud coming from the rear wheels of the (front wheel drive) Focus.

As long as they think it sells cars, I guess it does not matter that the ads defy the laws of mechanics or physics or make them look stoopid in the eyes of them that know (us mere mortals).
AnswerID: 33101

Reply By: Simon - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:29

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:29
Geeze, we obviously lead very sheltered lives when we have to sit around moaning about ads on TV.
AnswerID: 33117

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:34

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:34
Does this stuff really sell vehicles?
I guess so otherwise they wouldn't keep coming up with such ridiculous ads. I assume that what the ads sell is the belief in the general buying public that their vehicle could do those things. Not that they would ever contemplate really taking their new 4WD off road but they like to think it could if necessary. I reckon that would apply to the vast majority of buyers. It's easy for us to tell what a 4WD could and couldn't do but there are pleny out there who think a 4WD can go anywhere. So to them those ads are probably depicting reality. Unfortunately we are left to rescue them when they do go offroad in their invincible machines, only to be brought back to reality.
AnswerID: 33119

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:34

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:34
The other interesting thing is that it's the same in the dirtbike world.

Must be - irresponsible behaviour sells recreational vehicles.

Dave I saw this great ad for beer stain removal - aparantly ya buy this spray can a little bloke comes out and goes about cleaning up after you.
AnswerID: 33191

Sponsored Links