Garry Junction Road

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 16:50
ThreadID: 76824 Views:3965 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We are planning to cross from the turn off from the Tanami and travel west to Newman calling to Rundall River Nat Park. We will be towing an offroad camper trailer
Is there anyone that has recently traveled this trek that could give us information on=
Road conditions
Camping places
Availability of Diesel
Places of interest
Estimated days of travel(no hurry)
Thanks Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 17:45

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 17:45
Hi Kevin and Donna,

Have you done a search of the blogs on this site where you will get a heap of info and answers to your questions. Bear in mind that not many will have been across over summer, and rain will have altered the track conditions.

We did part of that trip from Well 35 on the Canning across to Newman last year. Have a look at our blogs here Be prepared for some pretty horrendous corrugations, especially around Kunawarritji. You can purchase diesel there, or if you dont want to pay so much your could order a drum from the Capricorn Roadhouse to be delivered to the fuel dump at Well 23.

Its a great drive, lots to see so allow plenty of time to stop, look and explore.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408685

Follow Up By: Member - Robin H (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 23:57

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 23:57
Hi Guys

Capricorn won't start fuel dumps again until May, rang them last week.
Per Mare Per Terram

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678670

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 18:40

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 18:40
Most of the Communities have diesel available.
HEMA maps show them all with their telephone numbers and (nominal) opening times.
We have travelled this route a couple of times and it has never been much drama. Ruddall River can be a bit harder though.

Slideshow from 2005.

And '08

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 408692

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:21

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:21
Hi Kevin

You will need Permits - you can get on line for NT side from Central Lands Council by return email and for WA side the DIA in WA (follow links to info on this site). Bear in mind that WA side permit may take up to three weeks to reach you.

I'm sure fuel availability at Kintore, Kiwirrkurra and Kunawarritji was discussed on a trip planning thread here yesterday.

Jupiter Well is a lovely spot to camp. You can even hand pump water from the well. Other spots off the road are fairly easy to find, and no traffic at all a night.

Have you read Len Beadell's books? It is a great route for Len Beadell plaque and memorabilia spotting.

Are you going into Rudall River NP or just passing through the northernmost section?

The drive between Marble Bar and the Oakover River is one of the loveliest we have been on.

Carawine Gorge is worth a short diversion.

We were travelling west to east and stopped at Carawine Gorge, Well 33, Jupiter Well (2 nights), an old roadworks quarry nearing the NT border, and Leibig Bore (the bore is closed).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 408696

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 20:38

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 20:38
PS: You can also get fuel at Papunya Kevin.Kunawarritji and Kintore gave us ample, but as i said yesterday, Kiwirrkurra was cheaper had we realised when ringing before we left. We have good fuel capacity.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678641

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 00:46

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 00:46
Found it: It was in thread 76797 which was more about timing for a trip including a number of lesser used tracks. The Gary Junction Road is fairly well used, but not as corrugated as the busier roads such as the Great Central, although it too has its bad patches and plenty of camels.

A bit of repetition, but i said

We camped at Well 33 (near Kunawarritji), then Jupiter Well the next two nights, and another overnight a little way before the NT border - pushing it to get to Kintore for the last fuel time before lunch break. Very pretty country.

As said, fuel is dearest at Kunawarritji. We should have re-fuelled at Kiwirrkurra, but we had phoned ahead to ensure supplies, choosing Kunawarritji and Kintore.

We stayed two nights at Jupiter Well because it was a weekend and we needed to get to Kintore on the Monday, and the company in the camp was good. Like the westbound group, we took the lay day as an opportunity to do some washing. We were also covered in mud due to rain - which will slow you down if the road is muddy. The westbound group had camped in the rain near the border the previous night as the rain had followed the road right through.

When we were nearing Kiwirrkurra on the Sunday, and vehicle hailed us and asked if we were wanting fuel. We said no, we had arranged Kintore, as it was Sunday. The driver said they would supply fuel on a Sunday, but were going for a drive for a few hours.

Kintore fuel times are specific, and you may need to wait some time in a long queue. Even then, they said they sometimes are closed on a Tuesday - or on any day; you cannot guarantee you will get fuel every day of the week.

Image Could Not Be Found

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678672

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 09:56

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 09:56
Motherhen, you are an angel. Again some fantastic info. I looked at Kiwirrkurra as a refueling option instead of Kunawarritji but on the Hema maps the opening times were less and there is no EFT/Credit Card facilities available, i figured as the community was small and more islolated it would be more expensive.

I will be carrying 170Lts of fuel, taking it very easy and have a very economical vehicle, even when loaded and in 4WD. On saying that, MickO mentioned he wasn't particularly confidant of my estimated fuel consumption so i will be recalculating on 14Lt per 100Klm usage figure.
FollowupID: 678692

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:00

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:00
Hi Tonbon

We also paid cash for fuel at Kunawarritji and Kintore. I recall Kunawarritji accepted EFT but not credit card to prevent locals getting into financial difficulties. At Kintore it was cash only at the fuel booth, but we could have arranged to use the card facilities at the store, but it was not worth the trouble. We had allowed for cash fuel purchases on this route.

We re-fuel more often than necessary. It is not worth the stress of running low in unforeseen circumstances.

We had no problems with supplies, but sometimes it may involve a wait until supplies arrive. Far better to ring ahead and know, and wait out in the scrub if need be.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678709

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:35

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:35
Kevin,

have a look here.

Rudall River

You'll find info on the roads, conditions etc in my blogs on the site.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408699

Sponsored Links