3rd batt in hilux

G'day all, I am thinking of putting a 3rd batt in the hilux as I am running 2 engle fridges. My question is, will the existing alternator charge the 3 batts and can I charge the 2 aux batts with a genny and 3 stage charger when camped?
They will isolated from the crank batt but the 2 aux will be linked together.
Any thoughts.
Damien
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:11

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:11
Hi Damien,

As far as I can see you should have no problem in charging both auxiliary batteries from the 240 volt charger powered by the generator, as they are linked together. In parallel I assume.

If an isolator is included in the "dual" battery system, everything will work to keep all batteries charged by the alternator, or separately the two auxiliary batteries by the 240 volt charger.
While travelling, the alternator will first charge the starting battery until it has reached a sufficient voltage level, then the isolator will connect the two auxiliary batteries into the charging circuit.
This is how all "smart" dual battery systems work, firstly to ensure the starting battery is given priority and secondly to keep it separate from high current drain from the auxiliary circuits. (fridges, etc.)

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 409007

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:13

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:13
Damien,

yes, you can charge any number of batteries by alternator (well at least three ;)
And yes again, you can use your gennie/charger combo for recharging the two deep cycle batteries.

If your two Engels will consume 3 amps time averaged, then that's a daily charge of 72 Ah which needs to be replaced.
If you're planning on getting a 25A quality charger, you'll have to run your gennie a minimum of 4 hours every day while camped.

Best regards, Peter
AnswerID: 409008

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:37

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:37
Thanks men, I thought it would be OK but just needed to be sure.
Damien
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 409014

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 06:41

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 06:41
Damian,

I run three Batteries in the Patrol with the 3rd mounted in the area immediately behind the front passengers seat. Just make sure that if the aux batteries are distant from each other, or are together a distance from the power source (dual battery system or isolator), use the biggest cable you can find to run the power down to them or they will never get peak charging from the altenator.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 409031

Reply By: trainslux - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 09:55

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 09:55
I run 3 batteries in my hilux with no issues.
Starter n70, 2nd is a n55 under bonnet, and the 3rd is an agm 120ah in the tub on a cradle over the wheel arch. Use a standard 100a solenoid on the starter to the 2nd, and a redarc for the 3rd, which can be turned off manually as well.
works a treat.

Trains
AnswerID: 409056

Sponsored Links