Buchanan hwy

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:19
ThreadID: 76902 Views:4959 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Want to take a short cut to Timber creek on the Buchanan Highway never travelled it before can any one give me some advise and things to see
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:30

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:30
Which way you coming from and going to?

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408995

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:57
Horris,
you do not say when either....?
Current NT Road Reports
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 409005

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:27

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:27
Horris

I am guessing you are coming up from Alice Springs.

We cut the corner off by leaving the Stuart just north of Elliot and driving through Newcastle Waters across to the Ghan line. We then drove along the service track 'til we got to the Buchanan.

The Buchanan is a great track. Prepare to swim in the Victoria River. There are some really good camping spots along the river.

The highlight was driving along the rail service track because we knew it was 'highly' illegal, and likely to offend the law abiding types who obey the law because it is the LAW. Mind you, all the locals use the track as a short cut because it is heavily used, despite the threatening signs.

Bob
AnswerID: 409019

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:50

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:50
Having read a couple of other posts I was wondering where all the adventurers had gone.

I like that attitude. There are a couple of other 'short cuts' I like to use because they are good roads and it is sensible to use them.

Keep up the good work Bob.

Duncs
FollowupID: 679025

Reply By: jezza68 - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:23

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:23
G'day Horris,

I traversed the Buchanan Hwy West to East. July 09, We came up via Halls Creek, Duncan Rd, Buntine Hwy to Top Springs. We then headed East along the Buchanan coming out on the Stuart Hwy at Dunmarra.
The Buchanan is very smooth dirt along this Eastern section. There is great scenery and camping spots all through these roads

Tamery
AnswerID: 409083

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 19:47

Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 19:47
We have gone that way a couple of times. First time, Top Springs pub still ran a camp ground and we overnighted there, then went via VRD and Jasper Gorge to Timber Creek. Jasper Gorge was scenic. Road was, for us, good gravel.
Second time - 2007. Overnighted at Dunmarra RH, then via Top Springs and Buchanan H/way (Delamere road), to Highway 1, because we'd never been that way. Overnighted at eastern section of Gregory NP, then stayed at Victoria River RH and did some walks in that area, then on to the west.
There is nothing of note at Top Springs, just the pub. Country from Dunmarra as far west as VRD is pretty featureless. Really, Jasper Gorge is the only scenic bit. We found the second time more interesting. because we hadn't visited the eastern part of Gregory NP before.
IMHO Timber Creek is not worth staying at, unless you intend to do the boat trip on the river - and if you do, make sure you have booked in advance, because tourist buses often fill these up.
We prefer to camp out at Bullita, in Gregory NP, give Timber Creek a miss, then stay at Keep R NP. The 2 caravan areas at Timber Creek can be dusty, expensive, and because the roadhouse is licensed and frequented by some of the local residents, who also use some caravan park amenities, rather grotty.
AnswerID: 409521

Sponsored Links