Daintree track

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:02
ThreadID: 76909 Views:4969 Replies:14 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a 22' caravan across the ferry over the Daintree River and continue across the Bloomfield river to Cooktown.
Any info would be appreciated. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:12

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:12
Hi George

We went with a Troopy and a tent, and it was ten years ago, but the ferry was large and three traffic lanes wide, so i don't anticipate a problem with that, however i would not choose to take a 22' caravan on the route to the ferry, although i know some large caravans have done so. There are some tight bends crossing a hill, and a very steep section with concrete wheel tracks. We were heading down and met a group of cyclists heading up the hill; they waved us off the road in no uncertain gestures so they didn't have to get off the concrete strips or stop. The race was from Alice Springs to Kuranda. The race was finishing in Kuranda when we returned from Cooktown via the Tablelands. It is a lovely drive and a lovely trip.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 409017

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:23

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:23
Minor correction: Crossing the range and the steep downhill section are north of the Daintree, so on the way north from, not to as it said above (oh for an edit function).

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679004

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:32

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 23:32
The road north of the Daintree river is very narrow and has some tight corners even before you get to Cape Tribulation. Tourist buses (short ones) and delivery trucks also use this road, I would be very reluctant to take a van of that size on that road.

North of Cape Trib. the road is dirt, again very narrow and windy and there are some VERY rough sections and hairpin turns coming into Wujal Wujal.

Again, I would strongly advise against taking a van along there.

HTH
AnswerID: 409020

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 00:22

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 00:22
Hi Stu and "Bob" - I likwise would not like to take a caravan - more because of the trauma to others you meet on the sharp bends and steep narrow sections, and ours is 18'.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679009

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:21

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:21
You may be able to get to Cape Trib but to the anger of other road users,

North of Cape Trib. you would have a real problem at the the bottom of the hill. you would be dragging rather than towing in a couple of spots.

Best to come back around and take the longway into Cooktown.

Bruce
AnswerID: 409026

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:03

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:03
George
Have a look here Daintree Coast We went through in July a couple of years ago and had to pull 2 4wd's out of one of the creeks because they had taken the wrong line. I would suggest it not suitable for a caravan, unless your name is Gall. (The Gall family own and build Kedron caravans and have made a number of hair raising videos taking their caravans where caravans shouldn't go).

teege
AnswerID: 409032

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:15

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:15
Good advice from previous comments. But what I would do if I was you, just do a trip in your vehicle alone and have a look for yourself.

We came down from cooktown in Sept last year towing our camper and was supprised at how good the track is now compared to when I lived in Cairns a few years ago. The north end was being worked on and a few of the bad sections had been taken out.

Lately more and more people are towing via this road. Up on top there are places you can pull over to let the speedsters pass.
AnswerID: 409033

Reply By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:03

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:03
Hi George,

Like Teegee says there is a Kedron video of towing a caravan along this road. Grab a copy and this will give you a fantastic idea.

Call Jan at Kedron caravans and she will mail you a copy. Couple of days and you will have an answer.

Quick word of advice: Watch it by yourself and do not show it to your wife. She saw my copy and it cost me a new caravan. Carl
AnswerID: 409038

Follow Up By: PeterMandy - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:07

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:07
The Gall Boys DVD that I have, used the CREB track which is apparently much more difficult than the Bloomfield track.

Regardless, I don't think I'd attempt to tow a van on the Bloomfield track without driving it first with no van. I've been told that it's well worth the drive anyway.

Peter.
FollowupID: 679032

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 09:59

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 09:59
Took our camper up through there a couple of years back - a great drive, but it is very steep in places (too steep for a big van, with just about any tug) with some tight bends - possible maybe, but mad :-o).
AnswerID: 409057

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:18

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:18
Going Nth there are/were signs prior to the Bloomfield stating 'no caravans past this point' , on 15/8/08 towing our camp-o-matic c/t with our 80 series turbo diesel ,total all up weight 5ton we had to use low range 1st to crawl up some of the steeper sections ,
AnswerID: 409062

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:24
A big thank you to everyone. I can take a hint, it looks like a no no for the caravan from Daintree to Cooktown via Bloomfield. However it seems to be OK to take the caravan across the Daintree River on the ferry and then find a camping/caravan park along there. Any recommendations ? Cheers
AnswerID: 409074

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:13

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:13
Why not take a tent and do the whole loop back to Cairns George? Both are worthwhile trips, and i think the whole Bloomfield way to Cooktown a must-see.

I was ten years ago, but apart from designated camp sites, i don't recall seeing anywhere you could get away from the road for a decent camp.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679045

Reply By: jezza68 - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:12

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:12
Hi George,

Good decision to not take your caravan over the Bloomfield track. I too had to select low range in the steeper sections with a trailer.
As for camping there is a spot called Noah's Beach?? It is a Qld National Park Campground. You have to prebook and specify clearly the size of your van.
The spot is magnificent.
AnswerID: 409081

Reply By: cobber - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 19:27

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 19:27
Hi George, I did the Bloomfield track from Cooktown end, September last year, No way would I take a caravan on the Bloomfield track, and I have a off road Bushtracker Camper, we left our Van at Mossman, went to Cooktown via the inland road and returned to Mossman via the Bloomfield track, most enjoyable trip, hope you enjoy Queensland as we did, very friendly people just like us in the West!!!
AnswerID: 409119

Reply By: Wilko - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:06

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:06
Hi George,

I wouldnt there a couple of steep sections which were when I went thru.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 409128

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:15

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:15
OK guys, I got the message loud and clear, Don't do it with a caravan. Thanks everyone for your help. Hope to catch up with some of you at the Wiluna National meeting Cheers
AnswerID: 409130

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:07

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:07
I took a large van up to Cape Trib when I lived there without a problem, just take your time. I would be reluctant to go any further than Cape Trib though.

I travelled the road a regularly so it became just another Sunday drive for me, but some of my visitors thought the road was scary.

If you enjoy adventure do it, if you're hesitant don't do it.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 409156

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:28

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:28
Hi Geoff,

From which direction did you come to get to Cape Trib. Cheers
FollowupID: 679113

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:53

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:53
Hi George,

I went from Cairns, up through Port Douglas, Mossman and Wonga Beach then over the Daintree River.

There is a steep climb up to Alexandra lookout and the road is narrow but there is room for tour buses to pass each other so slow down or stop and pull over to the left as far as possible.

The road at Cow Bay is good and there is room to pull into the Hotel Car Park for a drink or whatever the locals have on offer.

There is a van Park not far up the road on the right hand side at the BP servo.
It's not a bad place to base yourself because there are plenty of places to visit such as the Rainforest visitor Centre, Cow Bay Beach, the Blue Hole, The Sports Ground for Saturday afternoon Cricket/Footy.

The road from Cow Bay to Cape trib is narrow and winding and the road from Cape Trib to Cooktown would be a real adventure and unless you have a Kedron Van make sure your insurance is up to date.

Regards
Geoff

FollowupID: 679164

Sponsored Links