Oztent

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:48
ThreadID: 77130 Views:6124 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all, Our current camping set up includes a storage trailer which we have set up with 240v power (certified) plus 12 v with two batteries etc and the Autofridge remains in the trailer and the whole set up works well. We have a Freedom Family Tourer which is great for extended stays but we are looking for something that is easy for the 1-2 night stays. Have looked at all the threads in relation to the Oz tent and from all reports they are the "goods". We have a dome tent that is a "fine' weather camping tent as it lets water in from the floor area and as we have not had this problem with the canvas "freedom' tent we just needed re assurance that the Oz tent is good in all conditions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:52

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:52
I swear by my RV4 Oztent. In some weather I have had condensation, but that is recified if I open the windows and let some air in. Can vouch for them in very windy conditions ... I think they are probably the best windy condition tent available.

I have had two Oztents, and a variety of others, but won't be using anything else now.

jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410128

Reply By: dazza62 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:58

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:58
Hi Boeing,
We have an original Oztent Discovery and have done since it was released many years ago.

Is now very well travelled and we can only recommend them. Only issue we have had is due to stupidity we broke a joining bracket. Was replaced at no cost by Oztent despite being well out of any warranty.

For information the Discovery is about the same size as an RV3. If we were to replace it we would go the RV4 or 5 for a bit more space.

Tent has been used in all conditions including that wonderful dust/wind storm that went through outback SA last year. Never had any problems. Just a matter of not taking shortcuts and setting it up correctly.

You won't regret purchasing an Oztent.
Cheers Dazza.
AnswerID: 410130

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:03
Mark

We went around Australia for over a year in one. All weathers including storms, strong winds and some nice days too.

Not a leak, never blown down - fantastic product.

One night we were 'floating' in 50mm of water all around the tent, and next morning it was business as usual while others around us were trying to dry their soggy gear.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Paul
AnswerID: 410132

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:21

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:21
Hi Mark
Like all of the above very satisfied owners of Oztents, I can thoroughly recommend them as well. We have the RV 4 that has been in all sorts of weather conditions. Some people have complained about condensation in them, but we have never had any such problems, as we always sleep with the back vent fully open, as well as the side vents. The only extra that we have purchased is the fly and the standard side panel.

You will be very happy with the Oztent.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410136

Reply By: GOPIES - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:44

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:44
You won't have a problem Mark, I've used mine an older series (almost lime green)
up to 4 weeks at a time shifting camp every day in all sorts of conditions plenty of rain and never a leak or any other problem.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 410137

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:24

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:24
What makes them even better is the range of accessories you can get for them.

Our RV3 is fantastic and big enough for the two of us.
We have a pair of peak side panels which fit to the front awning and give us protected living space.

Even though we use our camper trailer for longer excursions, the Oztent gives us flexibility for shorter camping trips, or for treks where a camper trailer is perhaps a bit of a hassle.

They really are as good as they seem to be.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410148

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:02

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:02
Mark,

Oztent very good. Lots of great reports about this tent all over the place, but another worth considering is the Black Wolf Turbo Tents. They also get a great wrap and seem to be the two that most toss up between.

Just another perspective.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 410169

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:31

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:31
Don't look past the Oztent they are brilliant, the quality of construction is first class and the accessories make it versatile.
AnswerID: 410180

Reply By: SKELLY_POD - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:23

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:23
Hi Mark

We have two RV4 they join together with a piece Oztent call a gutter and thats what it does, gathers the rain from both tents and has a down pipe to distribute the water to the ground away from the tent roof. Definitely our best camping investment because in almost 3 years of camping trips nearly all were rainy and our worst being a massive storm at Coffs Harbour where the van park put is with others campers in a natural drainage area. We were all evacuated with shin deep water
running underneath our tents, next morning all our bedding was dry, just a tide mark around the tent which just hosed off, by far the best canvas I have ever seen. Our fellow campers all had to dry out their bedding and were very impressed with out tents.

Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 410394

Reply By: horseshoe - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:29

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:29
Hi,
We own one of the earlier versions of Oztent, and we love it, So quick to set up and pack up. Strong and with the awning and additional side panels the outside living area to nice and comfy. We can easily fit a double swag into it, and an air mattress works great too.
The only negative is the weight and length of the tent packed.
It is rather long, we had to carry it on the roof and being 20 kgs that got a tad annoying each time to lift it up and down.
Also the weight and length meant it was awkward for the wife to manage the lifting and carrying of the tent.
The newer models are lighter than the originals and but the length is much the same,
Despite above, it's a great unit and worthy buy would go great with the Heaslip gourmet camper. We would upgrade to the RV4, for reasons mention before- slightly more room inside.

If you can manage the weight and length you wont be disappointed with the Oztent. I love ours.
AnswerID: 410746

Reply By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:56

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:56
Thanks everyone for your replies and as always, is appreciated.
AnswerID: 410819

Sponsored Links