Which campers sleep five

Submitted: Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 14:59
ThreadID: 7714 Views:5458 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We are in the market for a camper and I would like one that can easily sleep five. There are two grown ups and three children 10, 5 and 3yo but they seem to be growing up really fast. I would like a camper that we could carry a small aluminium boat on top, would have a kitchen and some storage, and where we would not have to set up kids tents when we stop at night. If we have to do their tent, it defeats the purpose of having a camper. I am sick of stuffing five sleeping bags and rolliing five thermarests in the mornings and chucking stuff onto the top of our cruiser. (First mistake I hear half of you say). I have gone off completely the Jayco type vans (thanks to those who sent me some info).

I would luv it if you could tell me the best family type brands. We are in Melbourne and I guess that it would be an advantage to have them on sale somewhere nearby, but I could be persuaded otherwise.....

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:16

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:16
Andrew.
You ask a difficult question. This sort of thing realy comes done to personal need, preferences & budget.
Best to give yourself plenty of time to reseach & maybe even try (rent) before you buy.
You may even find the reseaching rewarding. (lots of new ideas ect)
Make sure you decide upfront whether you new real off-road capability. Track & tires same as vehicle ect ect ect.

Good hunting.

RegardsThis 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 33340

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:01

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:01
You are right about expensive - $1163 for the 40k service on my T/D 100 series today with the dealer. Routine service and nothing wrong with the car. Nearly will make me choke on my bread and water for the next fortnight....
FollowupID: 23929

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:20

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:20
From another Andrew
I guess you thinking of getting a tent trailer type camper.
I would suggest visiting some of camper manufactures and there is a lot of them in Melbourne ( where in Melb do you live ?).
I would also check the TradingPost. You may save 2-3 K on near new camper.

Is this camper for around Oz trip or weekends around the state ?
AnswerID: 33341

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:35

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:35
Thanks Andrew
We live in Warrandyte and would like a tent type trailer like O'Briens or Kanga etc. We want one that is seriously off road capable. I would be happy for one where the kids bedding can be layed out on the main bed for travelling without packing/stuffing/rolling (I HATE that) every morning. We would like a camper for both weekend trips to the High Country and also for extended touring. Have looked around but there are so many choices...... I only have a small brain....
Andrew ( the first one who posted here; not the another one!!!!)
FollowupID: 23899

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:45

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:45
Andrew,

We've got a Camprite TL8 offroad camper which has everything you want. Standard set-up sleeps 4 (double & 2 singles) plus a "living area" all off the ground. A bunk arrangement for large families is available although I haven't personally seen it. Check out their web-site at:
Camprite Campers
They have a couple of agents on the east coast.

We are extremely happy with our TL8 and can thoroughly recommend them. I'd be happy to send you some pics of our set-up if you want. Just let me know your email address.

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 33344

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:58

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:58
Thanks Melissa
Would particularly like to see the internal setup and storage, the external compartments and storage, and how a boat would go. It sounds great but not keen on unloading a boat every time. Would like to be able to swing the boat up or away like O'Briens or Trackshack. The beds on the web-site look great for the kids though - off the ground and all. How do you find the kitchen? My email is mcdfamily@bigpond.com
Andrew
FollowupID: 23928

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:46

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:46
I think this will be the best option ( 2 double beds + extra room)
http://www.trakshak.com.au/
but it come at higher price.

Andrew
AnswerID: 33345

Reply By: Bazza - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:53

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:53
G'Day Andrew,
I went down this track about 12 months ago. Took months and looked at all the makes and models to suit two adults and two growing kids. I eventually came to the conclusion that there's not one compact "Off road" unit that will fit four persons comfortably without some sort of canvas/anex arrangement attached, and also carry a small tiny. I know you say that you've gone off the Jayco type design but I found that this type of unit does the job well and can to bought S/hand for a good price.
Best of luck.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 33346

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 16:20

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 16:20
Either the camprite or trackshak will siut your needs. I know Trakshak has a boat rack as an extra not shore of Camprite. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 33349

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 23:02

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 23:02
Bob,

Yes Camprite developed a flipover boat rack earlier this year.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 24018

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:03

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:03
Andrew,
TrakShak is the go but I am biased as I own one. I bought it when I had three kids and while it was pretty big at one stage we ended up sleeping 10 in it when the mates arrived at camp. I have since remarried and now have the Brady bunch 3 +3 and the wife and trust me when you have kids whether it is 3 or six when it is raining it is good to know you can easily sit inside without having to pack everything away. I have just come back from a week doing some fairly hostile stuff in the Flinders and it performed better than I thought in the rough. Also with the Trak Shak you can leave your sleeping bags pillows on your bed and just fold the top over assuming of course you have a hard top version where you get 2 queen size beds up of the floor. While away a mate took a 2 man dome tent and every night we were set up before him. You can get away with as little as two ropes, 2 pegs and 2 poles providing it it calm whether. packs up as quick. Also very handy when you have to put it up in the rain. In fact I also have a tourer tent but find it easier to do the camper and just as quick.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 33353

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:09

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:09
TrakShak sounds great but I am a bit worried about the effect it has had on the size of your family. We have three kids now - don't want it growing to six and then ten with your mates. Wasn't sure if I liked the idea of having to remove the kitchen when setting up the Trakshak - if that is what you have to do. Liked the boat thing though. BTW - your Prado is cocking its hind leg pretty severely - looks like fun.
Andrew
FollowupID: 23930

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:21

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:21
Andrew,

You can leave the kitchen on the tailgate but I prefer to take it off because I hate the smell of last nights dinner being with you the next morning. I have a folding table so for just overniters I just put the stove on the table outside. Hire anything you like but you will certainly enjoy the space and ease of putting it up in the rain compared to others.
As to the Prado cocking the hind leg must there was a Mitsi next to it at the time!!! Had it worse than that on the weekend up in the Flinders in some washouts.We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 23940

Reply By: JimB - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:06

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:06
Ay Andrew, Reckon the Trak Shak suits your needs most. Bought a Heaslip a few months ago from a couple who now have 5 kids under 3 (twins followed by triplets). He's gone for the Trak Shak too.

I saw the Trak Shak this year at Rosehill show (Sydney), 2x queen size beds and it then had another bed tucked below the second double. My mrs was rapped, wanted one, but our kids are all grown up and our friends aren't that close ay.

JimB
AnswerID: 33355

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:12

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:12
Trakshak and five kids - must be a plumber. LOL. Had one charge an old pensioner I know $180 for putting a clamp on a leaking water pipe -the old bloke dug it up and found the leak. He paid it too because he was told it was normally $240 but they gave him a pensioner discount.
Andrew
FollowupID: 23934

Reply By: Glen from Tough Country Off Road Campers P/L - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 18:57

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 18:57
Dear Andrew,
Check out Tough Country Off Road Campers see them at the show in Melbourne 23rd October best in the market or visit web site www.toughcountry.com.au
AnswerID: 33365

Reply By: Member - Gary - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:14

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:14
Andrew, I have just ordered a TruBlu camper. It has an extra room that can be zipped on in minutes. It has a very good kitchen setup, water tank, good storage. It comes in several models from on road to offroad. I do not know if a boat rack is available but I am sure they will help if they can. They are just off Springvale Road in Bangholme. Ph 97725935. I have found them to be informative and helpful. Give Ian a ring and tell him Gary from Albury recommended them. Regards Gary
Dead in the City - Alive in the Bush
AnswerID: 33375

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:33

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:33
Couldn't find a web-site. Is Bangholme somewhere in NSW??
Andrew
FollowupID: 23943

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:51

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:51
Andrew, Bangholme is in Melbourne. At the other end of Springvale Road to where I think you are in Warrandyte. I have not yet been to the Factory but they are down near Keysborough. The Melways Map reference is 93 G5.

They will have a display at the 4wd show at Jeffs shed at the end of October.

Gary
FollowupID: 23945

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:57

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:57
Andrew, Forgot to say there address is 56 Pillars Rd, Bangholme.

I do not think they have a website. They have an associated business selling australian made camping products.

FollowupID: 23946

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:01

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:01
Andrew, Forgot to say there address is 56 Pillars Rd, Bangholme.

I do not think they have a website. They have an associated business selling australian made camping products.

FollowupID: 23947

Reply By: Member - Gary - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:04

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:04
Andrew, Just found their website for the camper trailers and camping products.

It is www.campingonline.com.au

Gary
AnswerID: 33385

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:35

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:35
Thanks Gary
I have seen their trucks around Melbourne out doing deliveries and did not realize they did campers too. I will have a look at them at the show in October. They are certainly priced pretty competitively. Andrew
FollowupID: 23955

Reply By: Tang - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 21:14

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 21:14
Hi Andrew,

We have 3 children, and have hired a few different types of campers to try and get a feel for all their different options.

One thing we like, is the door into the tent being positioned near the trailer queen bed, rather then at the end of the extended tent area. This way, we don't have to climb over their beds to get into ours!!!!

We have only ever hired soft floor tents, and when we want to move on, or come home, we just lay all the kids bedding on top of the trailer bed, fold it up and drive out.......

Good luck with your search!!!!

Tania
AnswerID: 33513

Reply By: rgunn - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:25

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:25
Andrew

we are advertising our Deluxe TrakShak in the trader section of ExplorOz

full details also at http://www.gunnsoft.com.au/~rgunn

Richard
AnswerID: 36422

Sponsored Links