Lake Eyre

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:01
ThreadID: 77259 Views:3265 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We are planning to trek north through Lake Eyre in late May as we are anticipating there will be water in the Lake.
We will probably come from the Cameron Corner approach.....any suggestions re best camp sites and access to flights over the Lake. We were sad to miss it last year, wrong place at the right time.
This is our first experience of the forum; pretty exciting!
Noels

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:29

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:29
Hi Noelene and Peter. A flight over the lake might be your best plan at this stage as it's probably a bit early to tell if there will be any water visible from the shore. There are only two places to camp. Through Muloorina which is around 90k's North West of Maree or 65k's North East of William Creek near Halligan Bay.

Heres hoping you get a good flood. I'll be through there this year too so I'm watching it closely.

The following links should answer most of your questions:

http://www.wrightsair.com.au/lakeeyregallery.htm

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/sanpr/lakeeyre/lake-eyre-status.html

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom

All the best,
TJ..
AnswerID: 410776

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:37

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:37
The camping ground at William Creek (opposite the hotel) has all the facilities you need and the Wrightsair office (in the house) is a short walk next door.
The Airfield is right opposite the house.
The Dingo Cafe, also opposite the hotel and in front of the camp ground has closed down, unless someone with nothing better to do has reopened it.

I have now now mentioned everything in and around William Creek, but I'm not being critical as I love the place.

I notice a new publican has just taken over the Iconic Hotel so I must go back and say hello.

You can also ask Trevor Wright how much a package deal is to take a sunset flight over the Painted Hills.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410778

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:29

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:29
"I notice a new publican has just taken over the Iconic Hotel so I must go back and say hello. "

Nev's gone..?...where to I wonder..
FollowupID: 680791

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:37

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:37
Noel
Have you factored in the possibility that in May you may not be able to get from Cameron Corner to Marree via the Strzelecki Track. As of last week the Track had been competely washed away at the Strzelecki Creek crossing. See Lyndhurst Hotel. While we can assume that Santos will move heaven and earth to have the Track open, even they cannot move the floodwaters out there at the moment.Good Luck.

teege
AnswerID: 410822

Sponsored Links