Muffler upgrade to 3"

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:58
ThreadID: 77271 Views:3760 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The 3lt TD Patrol is getting a bit of a face lift. After reading many forum comments about better performance achieved by expanding the dump and exhaust system I think the next step is to locate a suitable supplier. I'm in Sydney.
But what is the best upgrade . . . . am I looking at Lukey dealers or Walker or some other ?? Do diesel have special requirements ? Do the mufflers have nice sound effects and are they bigger or smaller than originals.

Any tips you can direct my way will narrow the options.

Also is it worth the effort of buying it in kit form and doing a self install, might have to if I can't find the right dealer.

Appreciate any useful comments . . . thanks
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 00:04

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 00:04
You can try this mob and see what you think ""Beaudesert Exhaust"" Located in Queensland. Regards Steve

AnswerID: 410840

Reply By: GUJim - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:15

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:15
Can certainly recommend Beaudesert exhaust systems.
I had my ZD30 GU3 chipped and fitted with a Beaudesert exhaust system (and the mandatory EGT guage - thanks Diesel-Tech Andy).
Can't comment on any improvements from the exhaust change alone as I had it all done at the same time, but the package is certainly worth the dollars. Makes all the difference as an effective tow vehicle.
Beaudesert supply kits to suit that you could fit yourself if your are that way inclined.
Hope this helps. Regards, Jim.
AnswerID: 410854

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:55

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:55
Thanks guys BdE seem to have a great reputation and they ship stuff all over OZ . . . . that's pretty good service. I'm, going to be passing that way to the Cape in about 6 weeks so might consider booking in on the way through, it's another option . . . . beats lying on the driveway trying to pull the old stuff off (no smart comments pls you know what I mean).
I'll have a talk to the local Cortis outfit probably just to get a price. (Is it Cortis or coitis)
Carpe diem

FollowupID: 680885

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:34

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:34
Hey salty
I had my exhaust upgraade on my troopy(New thru flo Muffler, 3" exhaust and extractors ) Through Charleton Exhaust, Sunnyholt Rd, Blacktown in 2003, he's still there. He was recomended by a friend, He did a good job and at a reasonable price ..not like the mobs who exhaust up 4 cyclinder rice burners
Regards............................Jeff
AnswerID: 410867

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:46

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:46
Thanks Trouper but I'm out the northern beaches . . . . bit far away. Bet the prices have changed a bit since '03 though !!
Carpe diem

FollowupID: 680883

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:52

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:52
make sure you ask the right questions (I won't advise because I'm not an expert!!).
Small diesels benefit more from a 2.5 inch rather than a 3inch (3inch is for the 4.2litre sized engines).

You could potentially lose power if you put on the incorrect size.

I put a 2.5 inch on my 2.8td after advice from an exhaust tech. Make a big difference :) so just remember that size doesn't always matter.

Noise is just right on the 2.5inch exhaust also.
AnswerID: 410877

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:22

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:22
hi
when i upgraded my mazda bravo exhaust late last year to a 2.5 inch from standard 1.75inch with baffled muffler
i asked about 3inch but the exhaust guy recommended a 2.5 truck muffler with 2.5 pipe the muffler is straight through and has a throaty roar
his opinion was 3inch is for 6 cylinder engines

my system has made a huge notable on road difference
it now sails over hills undeterred that it used to slow up on

i also fitted extended sides on the turbo scoop by the time im in 2nd/3rd gear the turbo boost almost whipps into action now

where as before the turbo boost was slow to come online
just my 2 bobs worth of what can improve perfomance dramaticly
cheers
FollowupID: 680901

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 16:41

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 16:41
Yep, that's a good point and timely. Spoke to BdE this morn and he made exactly those points. Said that 2¾" was their recommended max size and not straight through, needs a small baffle muff to stop the drumming. Comes with high flow cat and egt spiggot just below the turbo.
They have road tested and found this to have the best results. Seems like I'm narrowing it down.
They seem a very professional bunch up there in banana land (pun intended)

Thanks for the inputs.
Carpe diem

FollowupID: 680937

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:29

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:29
Just for the hell of it I sent a request to the company mentioned ,
My Troopy had extractors fitted in Mt Isa, I never got around to finishing the job over the last 4 years..."gunnado" , it should be replaced from the flange just in front of the muffler, anyhow here's the reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We do Pacemaker extractors and a full 2 1/2” mandrel bent exhaust system to suit your 75 Series Diesel Landcruiser.
These exhaust systems are all bent and built in our own workshop with our automatic mandrel tube benders, by our highly experienced, qualified staff.
All kits come with nuts, bolts and gaskets supplied and fit on to all original mountings and brackets.
We supply a hi-flow, perforated straight through type muffler. This means that the muffler won't restrict the flow of the system due to it being the same size diameter as the tube and the system won't be any louder then standard as the perforations absorb any excessive noise or droning.
Our customers have given us good feedback, being extremely happy with the improved torque and fuel economy of their vehicles after installing one of our systems. We have found that we sell a lot of our product to people towing large vans and boats looking for more power to get them up hills and along passing lanes.
On average our systems give customers an approximate power increase of up to 15% and an improvement to fuel economy by approximately 12%.
The price for extractors and an aluminized mild steel system is $1215.00, plus $25 for packaging, plus freight. From extractors back $850-00.
We also do a stainless steel option for $2000.00.
Alternatively we can fit it here in our workshop for an extra $300.00.
Thanks for your enquiry. I hope to hear from you again soon.
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411042

Sponsored Links