Wire basket on roof of Winnebago - storage options

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:20
ThreadID: 77277 Views:3424 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We have a home-made wire basket on the roof of our Winnebago but I am wondering how people manage to store things up there out of the elements. We will mainly be storing things such as 2 small tents, 4 sleeping mats, 5 sleeping bags which I'd like to keep waterproof and dustproof. We will also be storing sporting equipmment on the rack such flippers, snorkels, fishing rods.

What do you store things in to keep them waterproof and dustproof? Will a well wrapped tarp do the trick or will this leak or flap about? Do we need to buy one of those soft roof packs? I assume a pod will be too heavy for the roof of the Winnebago, but has anyone done this?

We are a family of 5 in a Leisure Seeker so I am hoping to maximise use of the space on the roof. I'm aware of the weight limitations of up to 60kg. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:04

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:04
Michelle
Waterproof shouldn't be too difficult. Just a well wrapped tarp will do that for you. Dustproof is another story. It can be almost impossible to keep dust out. I would suggest you only put things up there that won't be affected by dust. We carry our tent on the roof all the time. Of the items you have listed only the sleeping bags really need to be away from the dust. Can I ask where you are going to strap the three kids. Is your unit a dual cab? If not I hope you have approved seat belts/restraints fitted to appropriate seats. It is illegal to travel without them. As I understand it you will also not be covered for third party insurance if someone is injured and the belts etc are not fitted. I only ask because I recently saw a small motorhome pull up in the street and there were three kids roaming around inside completely unrestrained. When I spoke to the driver he was an international tourist and said that the rental company hadn't told him anything about the need for seatbelts and there certainly were'nt any available for the kids. They were just sitting on the lounge or wandering around while they were travelling.

teege
AnswerID: 410881

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:00

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:00
Michelle
I guess your failure to respond is an indication that you hadn't considered the situation. So be it!!!

teege
FollowupID: 681364

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 14:03

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 14:03
Hi Michelle,

When we have to put gear on the roof we use a custom made canvas sack. Have a lookhere at the Ebay listing of Klaus who makes them. (he also makes rear wheel mounted rubbish bags designed by Mick O). Klaus will make a bag to your specifications, using really solid canvas, heavy duty zips, ties etc. This will keep things quite dust free, but to be sure of keeping things dry I would put anything that I dont want to get wet inside a plastic garbage bag as well.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410897

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:48

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:48
Dear Michelle,

Thought of this post the other day when I was in Aldi. In the Sydney stores at they moment they have "Drysack" duffel bags. They are similiar to the smaller dry bags that you would take kayaking & have the fold over top and then clip together.
These were made out of pretty durable material, folded over at the top a couple of times then clicked together dust or water wouldn't get in, they had a carry strap as well. You would easily fit a couple of sleeping bags in one of them. $19.99.

Hope this helps?

Not sure where you are from, but let me know if you want me to post you a couple? :)

AnswerID: 411274

Sponsored Links