Land Rover 2A - Fitting Snorkel

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 02:57
ThreadID: 7747 Views:3019 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day There,

I am trying to get some information about fitting a Safari Snorkel to my old series 2a LR. Has anyone out there ever been folish enough to try and attemp this? I went down to my local Safari Snorkel Dealer (if you can call them that!!), and they just laughed at me (predictable response). Then I told them that a Defender Snorkel should fit, as the body shape hasn't shanged in 50 years. But because I live in Alice Springs, our "Safari Snorkel Dealer" does not have any in stock, so I can't put one along side my vehicle to see if it fits. I have to order one in, and then it's mine regardless, whether it fits or not!!!!. If anyone can offer me any advise I would be thankful.

Kind Regards,

Tim Francis.
Alice Springs, NT.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: One Iota - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 07:48

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 07:48
Tim,

Can't answer you question but you might like to try emailing Graeme Cooper: www.lrexpert.com.au or:

Posting your question on www.aulro.com or www.lrenthusiastforum.com

Good luck,

Mahn
AnswerID: 33461

Follow Up By: territorian - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:39

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:39
thanks for the info
tim
FollowupID: 24094

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 07:52

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 07:52
Tim, you may be better off going to your friendly exhaust place and ask them to look at making one with 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent exhaust pipe. Grind the welds down and paint it black! For attaching to the "A" pilar, most panel shops have nutserts, drill a hole, insert the nutsert, crimp and you have a nut captive in the panel. The other thing I have seen is a ram head from a snorkel fitted above the left guard, presume for deeper water crossings, an extension is fitted? Hope this is of some help to you.
AnswerID: 33462

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:00

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:00
Even cheaper still is using white PVC pipe and then buy a Ram air to fit at the top. I pinched some of my mates spare swimmingpool hose to make a snorkle for a Suzuki once. It has become a standing joke. You can build a snorkle out of anything as long as you make sure all the joins are sealed properly.

Are you going to ford the Todd on Regatta Day? :-)))))

Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 33523

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:52

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:52
Tim - Try your local plumber`s merchant or hardware shop. Use the plastic pipes that plumber`s use for the sewage vent - ie - the stink pipe you find on houses.
They come in all shapes and sizes with all types of angles and bends. All you have to do is glue it together with the glue that is made for this kind of pipe. I saw an old 40`s series Landcruiser in Sydney some years ago with this system fitted, but was in traffic and could not get a good look at in detail. I would hazard a guess that this would be very cost effective.

Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 33621

Sponsored Links