Coral Bay Best time to go

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:00
ThreadID: 77487 Views:10398 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I'm looking at going to Coral Bay in October this year for a couple of weeks but have been told that it gets very windy there around that time. I want to take a tinny and the wife hates the wind. Can anyone help with info and the best time to go.

Thanks Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 13:34

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 13:34
Justin,

Were there last year at the end of July, into August and it was blowing pretty hard all along that coast. Enough to make camping less than pleasant at times, and there is not a lot of shelter either. The locals said the wind is normal and blows most of the year - April said to be the best month. Street trees in Carnarvon leaned about 30 degrees away from the wind!

We drove into Coral Bay and out again as it seemed to be just an enormous van park. Found a great spot at Ningaloo and hoped to spend a week there but the wind drove us away after a couple of days.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411805

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 13:50

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 13:50
March,April, May but can still be windy so you will have to pick your days.In fact I refer to WA as windy always.Although I live in WA the wind can drive you crazy at times.If you decide on Coral Bay try to avoid school holidays as it becomes VERY crowded.
AnswerID: 411809

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:18

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:18
jvb
We were there for the best part of a week in July 08 and there was no wind to speak of at all, but boy O boy was it busy, the CVPs were full and people were every where.
But its worth the trip, beautiful place, and great swimming with the fish, we actually enjoyed it better than Ningaloo Reef.
Enjoy.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 411815

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:28

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:28
the months without R have less wind
so that is from May to August ... the rest is windy ..
the coast is great to go kite surfing ... we go to Coral Bay with the
boat for diving but only in the months above ... you can be lucky and
get low winds at other times but generally it blows all right ..
good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 411816

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:46

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:46
Hi Justin,
Have been there in August, and the first week was great, the last week was very windy.
Worth considering if you're up that way;
- Gnaraloo, about 100k north of Carnarvon, beyond the blowholes and Quobba, is very nice as well, tho the campsites (3-mile) are a bit pricey. There is some magnificent coral reef, right up to the shore, and there is also good surfing. There is a small shop, and satellite internet if you really need it.
http://www.gnaraloo.com/main/
- Quobba is also nice, but only pit toilets, and the reef is about 500m out, whereas Gnaraloo has proper flushing toilets and hot showers. Quobba is a bit more sheltered from the relentless SE winds.
http://www.quobba.com.au/Red%20Bluff%202008/index.htm
- Warroora is beach camping, but you need a chemical toilet. No facilities.
http://www.warroora.com/pages/camping.htm
You cannot drive direclty from Gnaraloo up to Warroora, but have to return to the main highway.
No connection with any.

cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 411827

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:44

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:44
Well we dont fish or snorkel and the Whalesharks will be long gone in October.

We went in July last year and wont waste our money going again.
Cant drink the water

Place overpopulated, prices the same. Nothing else other than the above to do

As already said the wind in the west will drive you insane. Quobba was great, we went as far as Red Bluff on a reasonably good road but the 10k into Red Bluff was shocking.

Had to put lights on to see over the corrugations LOL

Other than that we loved WA and did sort of get used to the wind.

AnswerID: 411869

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:20

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:20
We went to Coral Bay for our honeymoon in April '71, was lovely then, there was no wind to speak of and only two vans in the one park then, there was also the old motel, service station and shop. No one really knew of the place at the time, there was salt water showers and drinking water came from a 'dripping' tap, that was as fast as it would run. Loved the place then and even though it has been ruined by development we still like to go there.
It is a very windy spot but we can live with that. It is on our list of favourites.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411892

Reply By: jvb1 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:27

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:27
Hello All who replied, Have had to reconsider our time to visit and will now ring to find out when we can get in, in June. Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated.
Justin
AnswerID: 411909

Sponsored Links