European Wasps

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 22:56
ThreadID: 77508 Views:3864 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry if this subject has been covered,i havnt been here for awhile,I did search but nothing came up..

Now i have been 4wdriving around the Noojee,Walhalla,Woods Point area the last 6 months or so.I hav noticed that these Wasps are almost in plague proportions in these area's. This weekend in Walhalla i spoke to another 4wdriver about camping areas,he said he found a nice spot near Andersons Campground,but could not set camp because of these pests.He had two young girls about 6 and 10.

Last time i swagged on the river near Trig Track i heard a Sandfly land on my swag.Then i believe the European Wasp attacked it. (ive tried to research google whether this is possible but no go,Does anyone know if this is the case ????) When i bring this to peoples attention they say well there are basically no sandflies about.

Action will hav to be taken,as to what (aerial spray etc) i dont really know but if it gets worse camping will be a real bugger...

Regards

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:13

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:13
Wayne,

Camped at Wilson's Prom last year and had a plague of these things around. I got stung once and it was one of the most painful 'bites' or 'stings' I have ever had....much worse than a bullant.

What worried me most was my little kids. Prompted me to go out and have a look at an 'eating tent'....one of those made of fly screen as they seem to be more active when the food comes out. Haven't bought one yet and don't really like the idea of them, but may have to have one up my sleeve for such situations.

Wish there was a better solution.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 411891

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:22

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:22
We have found that the best thing is to ignore them. They seem to react to adrenalin which is increased when you try to swat them away through fear.
We were camped in Butcher Country some time ago & there literally hundreds of them, by ignoring them nobody got stung.

In reply to them killing other insects, overnight we had Bogong moths & in the morning they were hanging under our CT awning, just after sun up the wasps attacked & killed them all!

AnswerID: 411893

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 23:24

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 23:24
I agree that the best thing is to ignore them, but try telling that to 3 yo. Also they will sit in places where one may inadvertently place their hand or arm. My sting came from one that had crawled under my forearm, then when I moved after not noticing it......whammy.

I'm sticking to the fly tent when they come out. One or two I can handle, but when there's hundreds of them.......

CHeers,

Mark
FollowupID: 682028

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:25

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:25
We were camped at Anglers Reach near Adaminaby about 4 yrs ago, and we had the same problem and it was around this time of year.
They seemed to hover around as soon as the smell of food started in the mornings or whenever it was meal time. At one stage we had to cook lunch inside the CT. Spoke to a local there at the time and she said it happens every year about that time leading up to the snow season, onviously the little buggers are stocking up.!
As someone said previously, just try to ignore them (dont swat) and you wont get stung.

cheers ...Unc
AnswerID: 411899

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:56

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:56
On a slightly different tack, we used to have a couple of plastic caps that fitted over a drink can, to protect the contents from wasps, etc.

Apparently the wasps are attracted to anything "sweet" and could crawl in to the open can. When you pick it up to take a drink you risked a mouthful of wasp.
The spout on the cap had a built-in grill to stop the wasp from entering and if one was present, was easily noticed.
Geez, would hate to be stung in the mouth, or trachea by one.

SWMBO has the occasional Jack Daniels or Jim Beam which has coke in it.
Me, I just drink beer out of a can:-)

Haven't seen them in shops lately and we have "lost" our original ones.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 411901

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 16:15

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 16:15
I know of one fatality of a young child stung in the mouth this way.

An emergency tracheotomy would be the only option with swelling blocking the airway like that.
FollowupID: 681973

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:27

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:27
Best said. Leave then alone and they will leave you alone. The euopean wasp unlike the bee can sting you more than once. Nasty little things with Hawthorne shirts.
AnswerID: 411907

Reply By: Fragle_Rock (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:03

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:03
We camped on the Ovens River just out of Bright over Easter and the wasps were the worst I have ever seen. I was told that they were building their nests in the river banks. Decent rain and higher river levels will take care of these nests in due course.

Cheers
AnswerID: 411913

Reply By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:21

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76729200@N00/

We were at Walhalla yesterday and saw them the photos are at the link.

I am not sure if they are European wasps or native ones I need to check.

The Victoria Museum says European wasps do not look hairy

and this one does have some hair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76729200@N00/4496729192/

Regardless they were a nuisance and obviously in plague proportions.

I had never seen wasps eating bugs off car bumper bars etc before. As soon as a car parked they were all over the front feeding on the dead bugs.

Very strange behaviour. We sat at a picnic table in the open and did not have a problem. Those having lunch under shelters were pestered by them.
AnswerID: 411956

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:47

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:47
That flickr image is certainly a European wasp, which do have some hair. Nasty blighters, not so much for the potential harm to humans but for the damage they do to native insects.
FollowupID: 681954

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:55

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 14:55
there was a hell of a lot of them there.

no flies no bugs just wasps.
FollowupID: 681957

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:47

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:47
I've seen them hanging around car bumpers for years, concerning when you have a footpath close to the cars like we do in our main street.

We have a bush here near our back door that they love and we often get a warning dive bomb walking under it - I managed to get rid of a nest last year after my old man tracked it down next to a dam and it was heaven not having to worry about them. This year they're back so the hunt's on for the new nest!

Mark.
FollowupID: 682008

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:06
coming from Queensland I had not seen this before.

it makes it easy to photograph them but a pain for locals and tourists
FollowupID: 682012

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:50

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:50
Hi Wayne

There's a few around , some were at our place over easter for our camping weekend. They had a 30mm dia in the ground and were flying in and out, put some petrol down it which ruined the party then filled in the hole.

They do go more for some food than others , being mostly vegetarian seems to help as they don't bother us and they don't seem to go after our chardonay either - perhaps because we mix it with water - mind you no one else at camp went for it either.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 412030

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:55

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 17:55
Yeh, wasps are interesting litttle blighters!

When we lived in the UK we often had barbeques in the garden. My wife would get everything ready, and the food would be put out on the garden table ready for me to cook.

So we'd sit around having a few beers while everyone turned up. One day we noticed that there was a series of wasps coming to the table and landing on the chicken and other meats that had been wrapped in clingfilm. So we watched them a liitle more closely, to find that each wasp came down, landed on the meat and then cut a hole in the clingfilm, before addressing itself to the meat underneath. 5 minutes of cutting generally yielded a piece of meat about half the size of the wasp, which they would straddle before flying off.

We also used to do a great deal of fishing in the UK, where a popular bait is gentles, or blowfly larvae. If we left the bait tin open the wasps would come in, straddle a live gentle (not far off the same size as the wasp) and carry them off.

We never researched what sort of wasps they were - hairy or otherwise.

LES
AnswerID: 412149

Sponsored Links